X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • customcutter
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Your group with tips and 2 of BWaites groups show similar horizontal stringing. At least that's what I see. Maybe something, maybe nothing.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Hmmmmm, we shot these for speed & pressure checks upon the cases, & primers last outing. Looked to be hitting the 3/4" dot--- was chilly that day.

Too many variables at this point. Concentricity has to be checked firstly.

EAR ACHE MY EYE ON THE TIP !!!!! poly for hunts are fine. alum is 1/2 price of each pill. Nothing wrong with having a dream pill produced at all.

I have a more cost effective version of this to present to BFT tonight. Maybe 30-40 cents per pill.

Comment

• PA_Allen
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
        Rick, any idea if the top left shot in the middle group with tips was first or last shot of that group possibly? I'm guessing/thinking first, for one of two or possibly both reasons. Cold barrel or copper fouling from copper bullet versus guilding metal jacket.

Everyone might want to try shooting an accuracy control group before and after testing with the C90's. Just to see if anything has changed or eroded the accuracy potential.
        I shot several control groups after shooting the C90's; Barnes TTSX, Nosler partition, and Hornady SST. All controls shot as expected, therefore I do not think the C90's are leaving any detrimental fouling in the barrel....at least not for me.
        - PA

Comment

• customcutter
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

PA thanks for the input, were your groups on the C90's all over, or did you notice shot stringing?

Comment

• customcutter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Sneaky, I agree the Al tip is a dream pill as it won't melt at distance. Poly is fine, especially for a hunting bullet. The Al tip will probably have a slightly higher BC because of the melting plastic tip and increased drag.

Comment

• PA_Allen
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
              PA thanks for the input, were your groups on the C90's all over, or did you notice shot stringing?
              My groups were not that bad. About 1.5-2.0 MOA for 3 shot groups. In a few groups I would have 2 shots close with one out to open the group. With others is was a evenly dispersed triangle-shaped group. No clear pattern.....

See page 3 of this thread for more details.
              - PA

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Looking at these under about 6x magnification, I noticed a sort of burr on the bullet base. Very small, of course, but I'm wondering if that might — under the extreme gas pressures of ignition — create irregularities. If tiny nicks in the crown and bullet heel are of concern to some, perhaps this tiny "burr" might be having an effect, in the same sense of gas acting unevenly on the base and causing a slight tilt or wobble as bullet is released from muzzle? Opinions?
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• JASmith
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2014

Gas escaping from the muzzle is going about 2x as fast as the bullet. Asymetries like the burr you mentioned will cause the bullet to tip.
                  shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                  -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• kmon
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2015

John, you might have found it, or not but any difference in the bullet base can sure affect accuracy

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Just got off the fone with BFT. I see the burr, AND THE -- Dent on lowest rim of the 90 C. The dent was most likely from the bullet after being lathed, fell onto a metal collection tray- 1 more problem solved.

The burr may be due to a not perfectly sharp cutting bit. Or a hiccup at the end of the lathes run--- a piece of metal on the runway can ruin a good day.

One other issue popped up, I noticed it a while back- the cavity walls are too thin. If the cavity is drilled lastly, - fine?

If drilled firstly, oh oh, it could induce an off center situation. It would widen the cavity mouth- to cause an off center situation---
                      Hanka had trouble with the mouth of pill being to wide, & too thin- to hold the tip in- Hmmmm. It's too thin on this first trial run.

We went over this at Giardanos pizza in Dec. Hmmmm..... I guess I'm in this now for a while. My pill can wait...

I have 5 left, so does John. I'm going to spin off the defects at the base..... We'll do a trial asap. We could use more- but he sold them all- geeze

Anyone want to donate a few - back to BFT?

Geeze, I'm riding shotgun on this- I dint feel the need to be the inspector general on end results.

I'm inside his stubborn brain now. I'll tweak - polish off the oopsies, we'll all see end results. Need warmer weather here.

RS, ! Hop in !

I like the idea of a machined pill. Should be Zen like. Awesome accuracy. Learning curves.

I'll tweak ALL the pills sold if we find that the burr, & dent are the issue.-- Depending on our accuracy test , after my tweaks. Hang tite gents. And ladies.

RS is on the way..
                      Last edited by sneaky one; 03-14-2016, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• ricsmall
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

I would ask if anyone has a couple of these to spare if they could send to me to look at it might help on the elimination of variables. In the pics I've seen the bands look too thin and the finish rough. Copper has to be spun FAST for a smooth surface finish. For that diameter copper you should be turning 1447 rpm. I turned some Barnes for Cory at 1200, it depends on the alloy being used. Gonna look back to double check the photos, but those are two things I recall.

Richard
                        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Thanks RS. It's at the base - rim area. The dent, ---and 10 K above it's an out of spec burr., like the lathe hit something- and changed diam at the end of run.

Magnify it. Just enough to cause an odd drag on the pill? I always try to round mine off at base.

I can fix these- the ones that John sent--- or PM me , so you can do the fix at home. Save shipping costs that way . It's a machinists oops.

Nothing in our lifetime will be 110% perfect

He's used to latheing brass! I just found that fact out today!
                          Last edited by sneaky one; 03-14-2016, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• ricsmall
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

Yea brass is much easier to get a good SF on. It chips off, copper, if not spun fast enuff sort of peels off like it's tearing. That could be the problem. I dressed up the ones I did with 800 grit cloth. Light touch. I'm no expert, just stuff I learned.

Just measured some Barnes and gmx units for comparison and will post when I get some rough numbers from S1 on johns pills.

Richard
                            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Hang tite guys. Busy here.

RS is good at brass, Yet -- My speak was of Johns Brass guy- the machinist that made these copper pills,from pure Precision.
                              Last edited by sneaky one; 03-15-2016, 02:55 AM.

Comment

• rickOshay
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2012

I've got a couple left. I'll get some macro photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X