X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

FWIW, the Hornady steel case that I've shot was very accurate, much more so than imported steel case ammo.
    Drifter

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      Anybody seen ANY Hornady Steel Match lately? I haven't and can't find a source. I'm wondering if the Russians have cut off the source to Hornady.
      I got some 75 grain from Midway about three weeks ago. It was in and then it was gone! I haven't shot any of it yet, but I'm hopeful it will shoot well in my PSA M4 clone.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
        Warrior
        • Apr 2013

Gel shot pic coming:
        http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/6...age=4#i6536269

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

And with "an early yaw cycle." Oh, wait, "experts" told us that wasn't possible with 6.5mm bullets.

John
          Attached Files
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

I note with interest a quote from an online article comparing brass and steel cases in ARs (albeit 5.56): "We found no evidence to back up the claim that lacquer coatings melt in the chamber and cause extraction failures."

John

P.S. Other relevant data points from the article: "The steel cases themselves don’t have any effect on the condition of the bore. The difference lies with the projectile – the soft copper jacket of the Federal ammunition simply doesn’t cause the same amount of wear as the bimetal (copper and steel) jacket of the Russian ammunition."
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Originally posted by SHORT-N-SASSY View Post
              It's like looking at a picture of Bigfoot!

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by SHORT-N-SASSY View Post
                That's something I'd like to see. I wonder if anybody has yet computed the 100gr FMJ bullet's BC?

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                  And with "an early yaw cycle." Oh, wait, "experts" told us that wasn't possible with 6.5mm bullets.
                  Who said that?

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Stanc, I agree- 6.5 pills penetrate deeply- , even before a yaw cycle appears.
                    Many interesting reads online on these cool 6.5 pills. They perform nicely on whitetails.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

The green lacquer coating proved to be superior in the testing of this caliber. This is not to say it is always the case but with the length to diameter ratio of the cartridge and also the operating pressures we saw marked improvements in feed and extraction with the green lacquer over all other coatings. In abrasive contamination tests we used black coral sand as well as platelet desert wind blown sand to evaluate the behavior and would note that the feed and extraction was in some instances better than the control brass cased ammunition.

The projectile design was evolved over a period of time to create a yaw cycle that would be tolerant to intermediate barriers and also body extremities. The driving design requirement was to make sure it was adequate to take game in the class of feral hogs. It should be noted that the yaw cycle can be shortened or extended with simple design manipulations

Projectile weight was balanced against recoil and velocity specifically from shorter barrel weapons while ensuring the pressure point at the port would support reliable operation.

Comment

• Dogue
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

Bill, thank you for providing information and explaining the process to all of us. I know I don't typically use steel cases in any caliber but knowing the testing involved and the fact that you've personally tested, and signed off on, this product adds to my confidence level. It has taken a long time for this to come to fruition (well, we're almost there) so hopefully it's worth the wait.
                        Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• BjornF16
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
                          Projectile weight was balanced against recoil and velocity specifically from shorter barrel weapons while ensuring the pressure point at the port would support reliable operation.
                          Does that include 10.5" barrel lengths?
                          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
                            The green lacquer coating proved to be superior in the testing of this caliber. This is not to say it is always the case but with the length to diameter ratio of the cartridge and also the operating pressures we saw marked improvements in feed and extraction with the green lacquer over all other coatings. In abrasive contamination tests we used black coral sand as well as platelet desert wind blown sand to evaluate the behavior and would note that the feed and extraction was in some instances better than the control brass cased ammunition.

The projectile design was evolved over a period of time to create a yaw cycle that would be tolerant to intermediate barriers and also body extremities. The driving design requirement was to make sure it was adequate to take game in the class of feral hogs. It should be noted that the yaw cycle can be shortened or extended with simple design manipulations

That sounds awesome Bill. Thanks! I hope you guys sell metric crap tons of this stuff!

Still standing (semi-impatiently ) by to user test it.LOL
                            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Kikn
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2011

I just ordered 5 new mags, it wouldnt hurt my feelings any to find some complimentary wolf ammo in them for consumer testing purposes :-D ��

Comment

• Does anyone know which Russian small arms firms were hit by the new sanctions today?

Comment

Working...
                                X