X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bks22345
    Unwashed
    • May 2021

StoneHendge I got the 2.20 from the Barnes website. I used a Sinclair gauge to get base to ogive. Only tried 2 bullets but it seemed consistent.

Comment

• Stugotz
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
      [ATTACH]10931[/ATTACH]

I hope the attachment worked.

Weather was awesome in Oklahoma today, except we really need some rain. Here are my results from an OCW test with Sierra 120 gr MK over Alliant's Power Pro Varmint. I put together 3 rounds each from 27.8 gr up to max of 29.6 gr. Groups varied from 1.5" to 0.78" (at 100 yards).

I shot each load consecutive, rather than the recommended round robin, and I never saw the POI settle in between groups. That range from 28.4 gr to 29 gr looks pretty promising. I have to admit, I seem to shoot better groups when I'm not trying to shoot groups.

I'm still liking this powder. Next step is to see what happens at different temperatures and try some variation in seating depth.

By the way, factory Hornady Black averaged 2441 fps.
      DB, what is your rifle set up?
      Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
      I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
      Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%

Comment

• koden
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2014

Went to the range today and did an OCW with the 120 barnes match burner and PPV. I went from 28.0 to 29.6 grains in 0.2gr increments. There was a decent group at 28.6 and a really good group (sub-moa with my 1-6x scope @ 100y) at 29.6. Next time out I will attach the magnetospeed and see what the velocity is. This was with my 18" 264lbc barrel.

Comment

• Stugotz
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2019

I just post the following in another thread:

"FWIW, I was out last weekend trying to figure out what is the best hog hunting load is in my 22" Criterion Barreled Grendel and came up with the following 3 shot groups:

Bullet for all loads was a 129gr Hornady Interlock CCI standard small rifle primers and Power Pro Varmint powder.

28.3 grains yielded the following 3 velocities: 2,386 - 2,387 - 2,388

28.6 grains yielded the following 3 velocities: 2,401 - 2,389 - 2,412

28.8 grains yielded the following 3 velocities: 2,459 - 2,453 - 2,449

Velocities measured with my Labradar.

All 3 shot groups yielded 3/4" center to center groups with the final one coming in at 1/2" C to C."
          Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
          I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
          Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%

Comment

• Bks22345
            Unwashed
            • May 2021

Comment

• koden
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2014

I got my data from Sierra's website. It looks like the 120g bullets are still listed at a max of 29.6. I attached the PDF. Is that data incorrect now?
              Attached Files

Comment

• Bks22345
                Unwashed
                • May 2021

Comment

• koden
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2014

Here is a pic of my primers after shooting. The far right is 29.6. It felt pretty tame. I loaded them to 2.265" and they didnt come close to touching the lands. I'll get chrono results next time I go out.

bmb120ppv.jpg

Comment

• Zeneffect
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2020

Keep in mind their chamber is not yours. If it were me in your situation I'd keep on loading 29.6.

Comment

• Bks22345
                      Unwashed
                      • May 2021

Comment

• koden
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2014

If Primers and brass look good, groups are tight and SD/ES are reasonable I'd say its a safe load for that particular rifle.

Comment

• Bks22345
                          Unwashed
                          • May 2021

Comment

• Bottomfeeder
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2021

This thread still alive? I have some ppv and now curious to try it in this Texas heat in a few months. Trying to get a chrony but got to many irons in the fire doing home repairs at the moment. Any suggestions on starting load for 123 gr in 90 plus degrees?

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

Posts 3 and 19-22. Read the entire thread, lots of people putting 123s on top of this.
                              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• ViperTwoSix
                                Unwashed
                                • Sep 2021

Originally posted by CavityBackBullets View Post
                                Varmint not only spikes easily when it's hot it also slows way down when it's cold. In 20* temps and colder it can actually create a perceivable delay in ignition.
                                I was testing this powder fairly extensively. After my experiences with it I discontinued it's use.
                                If your shooting in temps between 45* to 80* only then you may find it can work for you. Outside of those temps I would avoid it.
                                Do you happen to have any load data for the 105gr MKZ from your testing with PPV that you would be willing to share? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X