6.5 grendel deer load ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PinkoDiesel View Post
    I use Sierra 120gr SPT Pro-Hunter on top of Alex-A brass with mag CCI primers with AA 2520 30.0grs. I have never missed a deer, nor ever shot more than once and the deer always seems to fall were they stand. Can't wait to use on big game "elk".

The Sierra bullets are some of the best and most accurate bullets I have come across for the 6.5 Grendel, the Varmit, Pro-Hunter, and Gameking all shoot as if they were match rounds (very comparable to Berger VLD bullets).

What I really like is how the BC goes up as FPS goes down with the 120 SPT Pro-Hunter's. The 120 SPT Pro-Hunter was shoot 1/2 MOA at 200 yards from my 14.5" and 19.5" hunter.

I have tried Hornady (140 interloc, 129 SST, 95 V-Max), Barnes (120/130 TSX/TTSX), Nosler (120 Spitzer), and Sierra (85 varmit, 120 pro-hunter, 140 gameking). By far the best being Sierra (IMO).
    I just picked up a box of Sierra 120 Pro-Hunter for my first Grendel reloads, what's your C.O.L. for the Pro-Hunter? And has anyone tried Varget instead of 2520? The Hornady Manual show Varget and 2520 with similar loads. Any advise would be helpful, to start with I plan on loading 10 round each @ 26.5, 27, 27.5 and 28g of Varget. Thoughts? Also, what primer is best Small Rifle or the Small Rifle Magnum? Hornady call for Small Rifle but AA's reloading info calls for the Magnum.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2011, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Whelon,
      I've had similar luck with the SPH120s. They do group very tight at 100yds and like PinkoDiesel my last buck didn't run much with a 1 1/2" exit wound. My load was 28.4gr of TAC and a COAL of 2.224, vel-2452fps. I'm not sure how the increasing BC affects it's accuracy past 100yds. The only range near me is limited to 100yds. I'm working on the 120NBT for longer range hunting but I really like the performance of the Pro Hunter.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
        Warrior
        • May 2011

I've had instances of the nbt "blowing up" on deer with my handloads in 30-06, I now usually load sst's

Comment

toolsofthetrade,
          I wonder how many Grendel shooters have had them blow-up. I was under the impression that under 3000fps that shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Steel, I hit a deer in the neck 2 yrs. ago with a 120 nos. bt and it grenaded lead all thru 1 shoulder, and part of a backstrap. The distance was 15 y. The speed was 2480 at the muzzle. The 129 sst is a great alternative to the nos. bt.,, or go all copper.

Comment

Originally posted by steel89 View Post
              toolsofthetrade,
              I wonder how many Grendel shooters have had them blow-up. I was under the impression that under 3000fps that shouldn't be an issue.
              Me, last year, 120gr NBT blew up just under the hide (not on bone). This year I am going with 100gr Barnes TTSX.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

The 100 & 120 nos. are VERY accurate in my gun, but I'll only use them on med.--lg. vermin, from here on out. Steel, try the Accubond, it sheds less lead, and is devastating. It's jacket is gilding metal,, just like Honady's bullets,, . I'll post some pics of the 110-120 grn. Accu's. I'v'e made for my Grr. So many choices.....
                Last edited by sneaky one; 07-07-2011, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Anyone have experience with the Nosler Partition 125 grain?
                  LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                  Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Sneaky one
                    Alot of people have talked about how explosive the NBT is but no one is finding that with the AMAX? I know the NBT is a better constructed bullet for hunting than the AMAX. So in my search for a longer range hunting bullet shot from a 16" bbl I was trying to develop a 120-123gr bullet with sufficient velocity to reach out to the 300yd mark yet hang together at the closer ranges. It's not good to hear that the NBT is explosive even at sub 2500fps velocities.
                    The Nosler website didn't show 110-120gr Accubonds for the 6.5mm's. If you are refering to the 130gr Accubonds, what kind of speed are you getting and how are they grouping beyond 100yds?
                    I've loaded some of the 130gr Sciroccos with 8208 but havn't chrony'd them. 2450+ with a 130 gr bullet would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                      Anyone have experience with the Nosler Partition 125 grain?
                      I just finished working on the 125 NP. With recommended loads of BLC2 of 28.5-30.0gr I was only able to get a max velocity of 2253 with poor grouping. At the most accurate load of 29.0gr I was able to get .54 MOA but the velocity dropped down to 2216fps. Until I can find a faster load for it (mabye using 8208) with velocities over 2400fps I am holding off on using it.

Comment

What primer are you guys using, the Small Rifle or the Small Rifle Magnum?

Comment

Lapua with CCI 450 SRM

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Steel, I lathed the rear of my 130 Accu's. down to 120-115-110's. All with no lead showing. The 120 I chronoed at 2490 , 450cci, Lap. case, 28.6 TAC at mag length = a .6 group @ 100y. Good enuff for Future hog & moose hunts. Haven't shot the others yet, but will do soon. The 110's should mimic the 6.8 speed on their 110 accu. ,,, about 2600-2650.
                            Last edited by sneaky one; 07-09-2011, 01:48 AM.

Comment

You are killing me!! How about selling 50 of your 120 accubonds. You don't have a good load for the 125 NP?

Comment

And for the individuals like myself who dont have the setup for hand loading? What factory loads does everyone like for deer? If theres another thread on this please redirect me.

Comment

Working...
                                X