X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

hee. Steel, I am not torturing you, if you need some bullets, PM me. Also , no load data for nos. part. I used to shoot them in 140 grn., in my 7 mag. , they passed thru without enuff internal damage to drop them on the spot. The 6.5 / 100 grn. nos. part. looks interesting. I'm trying to go Bonded , or copper alloy bullets only. Next up, soon,,, on the lathe is the 130 Swift Scirocco.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

roll your own

Stone cc. If you want decent 6.5G factory ammo, try Alexander arms, or Les baer/ black hills ,or,, Hornady. Get a Lee challenger press for 50 bucks , and Hornady dies , and roll your own. You'll save money as the years pass, and shoot more!

Comment

• StoneTower

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
        Stone cc. If you want decent 6.5G factory ammo, try Alexander arms, or Les baer/ black hills ,or,, Hornady. Get a Lee challenger press for 50 bucks , and Hornady dies , and roll your own. You'll save money as the years pass, and shoot more!
        Don't buy a Lee press. Look on Craigslist and get a good used RCBS Rockchucker or something quality for about the same price. It will serve you for a lifetime.

Comment

• Budmccarroll
          Unwashed
          • Jun 2011

What's wrong with Lee? I use a Classic turret and love it.

Comment

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
            He's right. Grendels aren't your normal 'Hunting' rifles. When you start shooting it at the range you'll want to go back the next week and the next. A lot of the guys on this forum including me never reloaded untill they picked up the Grendel. There is a lot of good advise and information here to get you into safely reloading. Start saving your brass.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
              Warrior
              • May 2011

Originally posted by steel89 View Post
              toolsofthetrade,
              I wonder how many Grendel shooters have had them blow-up. I was under the impression that under 3000fps that shouldn't be an issue.
              I dont know, but my 165gr Ballistic tip load in my '06 is under 3k...probably around 2800

Comment

The NBT has alot going for it, if had a bonded core it would be the best all around hunting bullet for the Gren. It amazes me how many love - or hate the bullet. Why go to such great lengths to make a medium game 'varmit' bullet, someone tell Nosler to bond that core!

Comment

Steel89 I agree with you but with the Accubond in the lineup I don't see it happening. The A.B. is essentially a bonded core B-Tip. What we need is a 110/120 grain A.B that will open well down to 1,600 FPS

Comment

"Steel89 I agree with you but with the Accubond in the lineup I don't see it happening. The A.B. is essentially a bonded core B-Tip. What we need is a 110/120 grain A.B that will open well down to 1,600 FPS "

That would be it what we need.
                    Since the Grendel was put on the market by Bill Alexander I wonder how much sales of 6.5mm/.264 bullets has increased in the 100-140gr range. I'm sure it has been a noticible increase. It would be nice to see someone produce an Accubond type in that range where the Grendel does its best. I do appreciate the Barnes additions and Hornady's efforts to produce a Grendel specific target bullet. Lead core, bonded hunting bullets seem to be missing in the 110-123gr range for this great hunting cartridge. The 120 SPH has worked well for me and I know people are shooting the NBT,AMAX, SMK, and TTSX with good results. There is room for improvement and I'm sure someone will make a killing (financially) with a long range hunting specific bullet for the Grendel.

Comment

The deep penetration available from bonded or all copper bullets might make a 100 gr version viable. We might be able to get 2750 ft/sec from a 20" barrel and BC's approaching .400 are within reach.

The trajectory from this combination would give good potential for 300 yard point blank ranges for deer.

BTW Barnes already offers the TTSX in 100 gr with a BC of .359.

Others will follow...

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I agree with the A. B. in a lighter wt. That's why I am trying these units out. get on the phone, web contact, etc. let the manuf. know what the grendel needs. The 6.8 has a 110 A.B. and it's only okay, compared to the Grr., in a 110 wt. The old school guys at some of the manuf. won't break old traditions of what was popular back in the 60-70's. Time to get up to speed. this isn't a 264 win mag. , and other old hot rods of the day . It does'nt need to be, it does get game, as is at lower speeds. Lighter bullets are faster and just as deadly as heavy one's, within ranges most people shoot. Bombard them with requests for lighter 6.5 bullets,to all the manuf. It's in their best interest to sell, make a profit. The more we all do this together ,, the less work I have to do in my garage,, hee. Help me out. Go after Hornady to make a 95-100 grn. GMX, with the ogive moved ahead .050-.060. That will compete with the barnes 100ttsx, and kick it's butt.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

JA I've reached 2850 with a 95 grn. barnes bumped ahead .070 ., and 2786 from a stock barnes 100ttsx at mag length using x-term. Decent accuracy too. The gmx is way more accurate in my gun. Iv;e shot 90 grn.ers close to 2900. Also shot 95 grn. gmx's to 200y, with a nickle size group.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

John OD.. nice fish in your Av. Yes, let's all push for a 100-120 A.B. I make my own, mostly because the idea is right, and I saw the diagram on the side of box,, and I guessed right on the amount of Gilding metal at the base, ( 95% copper, 5% zinc) just waiting to be turned down. I've made it to 110 with no lead showing. Only shot them in 120's,, and theyr'e fine to 100-150y. plus.... I Have many other Accu's. in lighter weights loaded, waiting to try.......... but it's 97 degrees out!! We go from 30 below to 105 above. All of my adult life, I spoke of moving to Oregon to have more moderate temps. Is it great out there, or what? Still planning to go west for a trip.

Comment

All of my adult life, I spoke of moving to Oregon to have more moderate temps. Is it great out there, or what?
                              Or you could move North to Duluth, we have that big ass air-conditioner called Lake Superior.

Comment

S1 the east side of Oregon is nice as far as climate, hunting, fishing etc. I can shoot on public land 15 minutes from my house west, south & east. Lots of trout fishing along with some steelhead & bass. Unfortunately the population centers on the west side of the state has more than its share of liberals that think they know whats best for all of us. I live in a resort town (been here since 78) that's hurting very badly from an economic stand point. Yesterday the girlfriend and I spent the day hooking large rainbow trout on flyrods... and she was in a bikini so I don't have much to complain about

Comment

Working...
                                X