Load Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob- You say most consistent. Have you had a similar problem with Grendel reloads?

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

I would guess he means the most consistent when it comes to velocity and deviation.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by oxn316 View Post
        i have a question about loads. For long range shooting ie 600-1200 yards is it better to use a 123 bullet and shoot it around 2650 or is it better to shoot the 107 and look for ftps around 2800?
        OX:

What Grendel load are you using to get 2800 fps with the 107 SMK or 108 Lapua? What ever that load is, buy a few new bolts and wear eye protection and some gloves when shooting.

2650 is possible with a 123 providing you hot load to a high enough extent that firing about 100 of those loads in a row ought to shear at least one bolt lug.

I think it more reasonable to look at somewhere in the 2700 neighborhood for the 107 / 108 and the 2550 - 2570 neighborhood for the 123's.

LR1955

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
          OX:

What Grendel load are you using to get 2800 fps with the 107 SMK or 108 Lapua? What ever that load is, buy a few new bolts and wear eye protection and some gloves when shooting.

2650 is possible with a 123 providing you hot load to a high enough extent that firing about 100 of those loads in a row ought to shear at least one bolt lug.

I think it more reasonable to look at somewhere in the 2700 neighborhood for the 107 / 108 and the 2550 - 2570 neighborhood for the 123's.

LR1955
          What barrel length? The Hornady factory load does 2600 out of my 19.5" barrel (the first string averaged 2603, and the second one was 2613). I use a can, but I doubt I'm getting too much free bore boost. I'd think someone could find another 50fps with a longer barrel and the latest super duper powder of some kind?

ETA: I see other people listing lower numbers doing a google search. Are my chrony numbers on crack? It was during the summer, but am I the only one who got 2600fps? I doubt I got uniquely lucky.LOL
          Last edited by Variable; 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM. Reason: More info.
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

No, I meant most consitent performance wise, I've used a lot of CCI 450's and never had one fail. The one you have are contaminated or the flash hole is plugged. Did you pull them apart to see if the primer lgnited but failed to ignite poweder, or just plain failed to ignite?
            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
              OX:

LR1955
              i get 2650 out of a 24" aa barrel with factory hornady ammo. this is comfirmed with trajectory and backed up with a shooting chrony. I get the same ftps with win 7.62 cases and 27.2 grains of wc846 and the 123 amax. No problems with my bolt yet and have about 500 down the tube.

Comment

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                No, I meant most consitent performance wise, I've used a lot of CCI 450's and never had one fail. The one you have are contaminated or the flash hole is plugged. Did you pull them apart to see if the primer lgnited but failed to ignite poweder, or just plain failed to ignite?
                Bob
                No. I pulled the bullet on a couple of them just to make sure that I put powder in them. Then I threw the casings away. I haven't gone any further since. I posted my questions on here looking for advice before I go any further. I thought about the flash hole. I'm using once fired Horady brass. I don't think tht I'm using Hornady has anything to do with it, just thought I'd tell that. I have about 20 Lapua once fired brass that I aready prep'd and primed with CCI 450's. Is it safe to deprime these so I can look at the flash hole and make sure it's not plugged?

Comment

• Drifter
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                  The Hornady factory load does 2600 out of my 19.5" barrel (the first string averaged 2603, and the second one was 2613). I use a can, but I doubt I'm getting too much free bore boost. I'd think someone could find another 50fps with a longer barrel and the latest super duper powder of some kind?

ETA: I see other people listing lower numbers doing a google search. Are my chrony numbers on crack? It was during the summer, but am I the only one who got 2600fps? I doubt I got uniquely lucky.LOL
                  I have a 19.5 barrel and get 2510 to 2515 with Hornady 123gr A-max factory loads, with chrony 10 feet from the muzzle.
                  Drifter

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by rhyno_071 View Post
                    It was in the low 60's the first time and the mid 40's the second time. Yes, I have a JP lightweight hammer spring. I should add, it fires factory Hornady 123gr everytime with no problems.
                    Your primer issue is most likely a result of the light hammer spring. Put a standard or extra-power hammer spring in and I bet those exact same cartridges that failed to fire previously will work appropriately.
                    Drifter

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                      Your primer issue is most likely a result of the light hammer spring. Put a standard or extra-power hammer spring in and I bet those exact same cartridges that failed to fire previously will work appropriately.
                      Your the second person to say that. How come I dont have any issues with factory Hornadys? What primer do Hornday use?

Comment

You don't have to deprime to see, just shine a bright light into the case, if the primer hole is pugged you'll see the media instead of the reflection of a primer anvil.
                        Bob

Comment

ok

Comment

• Drifter
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by rhyno_071 View Post
                            Your the second person to say that. How come I dont have any issues with factory Hornadys? What primer do Hornday use?
                            Primer thickness and hardness varies by brand and style.

Light hammer springs are one method of reducing weight of trigger pull, but usually at the cost of reduced reliability.
                            Drifter

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                              Primer thickness and hardness varies by brand and style.

Light hammer springs are one method of reducing weight of trigger pull, but usually at the cost of reduced reliability.
                              Ok. I'll change my hammer spring and try that. Thanks.

Comment

• jessegibson1978

If you want to deprime those cases pull the bullet dump the powder and spay WD-40 into the case let it soak overnight and the primer should be rendered inert. Just a thought above all be safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X