Starline Brass, who has used it and what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yama
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2018

I have been using Starline and find that it is good stuff, especially for the price. One thing I've found is that the Starline primer pockets are well formed compared to the Hornady brass; my pocket uniforming tool removed nothing on the Starline, whereas a fair bit came out of the Hornady brass. I use a bolt gun, so as far as life expectancy, time will tell...

Comment

• louielouie
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Yama View Post
      ... my pocket uniforming tool removed nothing on the Starline, whereas a fair bit came out of the Hornady brass...
      X2 about the Hornady brass: depending on the primer (mostly CCI 450) they didn't sit flush so I used S&B SRP until I could 'uniform' the primer pockets. Article on 6mmBR about erratic ignition made me think about the one lone flier ruining an otherwise nice group.

Comment

• Mark611
        Warrior
        • Feb 2017

This is the kind of info I'm looking for guy's thank you please share ur experience with ur brass

Comment

• SDW
          Warrior
          • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Mark6.5 View Post
          I think Mark611 is referring to the flash hole of the primer pocket. Some have larger openings than others

Edit. The Luapa brass has the smaller flash hole
          FYI, per Starline's web site:

"Our 6.5 Grendel brass uses the standard .080" flash hole as opposed to a few companies that use the .060" flash hole."

Comment

• grendelnubi
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Mark611 View Post
            I have read some the brass makers for the 6.5G have smaller primer pockets? I believe I read it on the forum
            By smaller I would suggest making reference to depth of the pocket. Using Hornady brass I have noticed when using CCI450 primer that they sit a little high, making it a challenge when measuring seating depth. I have fixed this issue with a primer pocket uniformer. No more issues now..

Comment

• SDW
              Warrior
              • Jul 2018

I have not run my uniformer into the pockets of my once-fired Hornady "Black" brass yet. Are people noticing this depth issue with their factory loaded ammo as well? FWIW, the primers on my "Black" ammo is perfect. Soooo... I'm guessing it's only an issue with the new, unfired brass.

I'm glad I read through this thread before priming any of my new Hornady brass.

Comment

• Popeye212
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2018

Some are, I quit using Hornady brass. After 4-5 on what I have they have been loaded for pigs and not keeping the brass. I am going with my Starline they are doing well. I just ordered small pocket Starline for my Creedmoor. I would run the uniformer through the ones you have.

Comment

• grendelnubi
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2017

I have only had issues using cci450 primers. Other primers are good to go.

Comment

• djmurf
                    Unwashed
                    • Nov 2017

I was searching around for measured case capacity of new Starline 6.5 Grendel Brass, and was unable to find any.
                    I measured 10 new cases. Full body resized, trimmed to 1.510, chamfered, deburred, cleaned up pockets...
                    This post regarding Starline Brass seemed to a good place to share this.

Count, Case (gr), Case w/ H2O (gr), Case Volume (gr/H2O)
                    1, 113.96, 149.36, 35.40
                    2, 113.18, 148.48, 35.30
                    3, 113.54, 149.10, 35.56
                    4, 115.60, 150.64, 35.04
                    5, 113.56, 148.90, 35.34
                    6, 114.34, 149.64, 35.30
                    7, 113.58, 148.84, 35.26
                    8, 113.96, 149.22, 35.26
                    9, 113.66, 148.78, 35.12
                    10, 113.76, 148.88, 35.12

Picture attached

65_Grendel_Case_Capacity.png