• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caleb90
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2019

new 6.5 owner. what powder?

i am just finishing building my ar in 6.5 grendel, barrel should be here next week. 20in hardened arms un threaded muzzle. any who i am a reloader but new to this caliber, tryin to figure out what powder to run. trying to find a powder i can run in this and my .223 .ive tried cfe 223 in my 223 with less than steller results.the weight range i tend to shoot is 90gr-123gr. the two powders that seem to come up are h335 and imr 8208. looking for best velocity and accuracy. thanks
  • Cornbread
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

Last edited by Cornbread; 01-29-2019, 11:37 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

8208 works best with 100 grain size bullets. If loading it under 120+ grain bullets be aware that some members have experienced pressure spikes very suddenly. Cfe tends to work better with 120 and up bullets. I have no experience with h335 and Grendel.

Your first purchase should be the Grendel reloading manuals available at ar15buildbox.com
      Last edited by rabiddawg; 01-30-2019, 12:03 AM.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Javman
        Warrior
        • Jan 2016

Have had good results with H335 and LVR with Sierra 85 grainers and 100 NBTs.

Comment

• IescapedCali
          Warrior
          • Sep 2017

Plus 1 for the Grendel Manuals. All the wheels that have been invented are written there, so you won’t need to reinvent them. You’ll also find a metric crap ton of load data catalogued there.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by caleb90 View Post
            i am just finishing building my ar in 6.5 grendel, barrel should be here next week. 20in hardened arms un threaded muzzle. any who i am a reloader but new to this caliber, tryin to figure out what powder to run. trying to find a powder i can run in this and my .223 .ive tried cfe 223 in my 223 with less than steller results.the weight range i tend to shoot is 90gr-123gr. the two powders that seem to come up are h335 and imr 8208. looking for best velocity and accuracy. thanks
            TAC works well in both.

2520 also I believe.

Comment

• caleb90
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2019

uppon further research tac and h335 seem to be the two i keep leaning to.. i wish i had good results with cfe 223 in my 223 bolt. just too dirty and not happy with results.

Comment

• 1Shot
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

I shoot 120s in the Grendel and IMR 8208 is the powder for me. I have not tried it in 223 but when the weather warms up I will be giving it a try in my NEW AR 18" Owen barrel rifle I built with 62 to 77 gr bullets. I have heard great things about this combo.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Most of your popular powders for .223 Rem and .308 Winchester work well in 6.5 Grendel, the main exception being Varget.

But Benchmark, H335, 8208XBR, AA2520, TAC, BL-C(2), W748, and CFE223 are the main go-to powders.

Punting out the 90gr TNT vs 123gr boat tail bullets involves quite different gas system behavior, as the 90s like fast-burning powder that you really need to get a 100-107% case fill with if you are going to drive the RLGS gas port with enough volume, whereas the slower-burning powders like AA2520, BL-C(2), and CFE223 have plenty of volume and pressure to drive the gas port even with lighter loads.

Balancing that 90gr-123gr load range with a RLGS will probably require 2 different powder types, unless you get a really high case fill under the 90s.

There are several forum members with 20" RLGS that like to shoot the 95gr V-MAX and hunt with it regularly. That bullet is easier to use if you also want to shoot 123gr Hornady, Lapua, Nosler, and Sierras and have a common powder.

If you are set on the 90gr TNT, you could use H335 for it and the 123s.

Even with compressed loads of 8208XBR under the 90gr TNT, Hodgdon's shows max chamber pressure of 42,700psi, whereas it peaks quickly under a 123gr in the 27.9-28.5gr region, where you will hit Grendel SAAMI MAP (Maximum Average Pressure of 50,000psi).

H335 will give you the fastest speeds with the 90gr TNT, and one of the fastest speeds under a 123gr.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Popeye212
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
                    I shoot 120s in the Grendel and IMR 8208 is the powder for me. I have not tried it in 223 but when the weather warms up I will be giving it a try in my NEW AR 18" Owen barrel rifle I built with 62 to 77 gr bullets. I have heard great things about this combo.
                    What ^he said.

Comment

• caleb90
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2019

along with the barrel from hardened arms, i picked up one of there adjustable gas blocks so i should be able to fine tune the gas system to different weight loads.

Comment

• caleb90
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2019

also what hand book should i buy? volume 1 or 2?

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                          Warrior
                          • May 2017

I recommend both.

Comment

• roor
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2018

Does any one have any info on using n135?

But 8208 around 27.4-28gr seems to be a node that gives me sub moa consistently

Comment

• Drift
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2014

cant really go wrong with BLC (2)

Comment

Working...
                              X