• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by gwtx View Post
    I recently started with a Grendel, and had a problem FL sizing the brass. Not sure if it was Starline or Hornady or both. It was also "operator" error. I was not going all the way down with the lever on the press. Yes, it is a Lee, but I've been using it on 7 or 8 calibers for a number of years without a problem. I wonder if the Starline has a "tougher" web that makes it feel like the lever is all the way down. If I can remember, I'll check to see. I really like the Grendel, but at my age, learning new stuff takes a while
    I started with the Lee press and still use it for my ar grendel loads and I haven't noticed any difference like that. I have loaded hornady once shot factory cases, lapua and now only use starline.

Comment

• gwtx
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

I do have a problem with "consistent " sizing of both Hornady and Starline brass. I am using the lee FL sizing die in RCBS JR2 press that I inherited. It is stout, and I like the cam-over so I know I have went all the way down with the lever. I have the die set to bump the shoulder back .004". My fired brass is 1.2175 at the shoulder measuring with the .350 bushing. I try to get it back to 1.213. Some/most do, but some vary anywhere from 1.210 to 1.215. Haven't figured out why as of yet. As long as it is on the short side, I go with it. My chamber seems to be on the minimum side of SAAMI specs, and a chambered but unfired round is a bit hard to eject by hand. The only ammo that will pass the "fall out" test is the Wolf steel. It is really small and fits very loose. The Hornady SST 123 gr or the Black won't fall out, but are not hard to eject by hand. I measured the chamber at
      2.262, but I load to 2.250-2.255 range. I keep seeing the Redding type s sizing die being recommended. Is it worth the price?
      Sorry to ramble, I don't see anything wrong with the Starline brass, and I bought my upper from Kelly Sanders at Sanders Armory. Really nice folks.
      When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

I do have a problem with "consistent " sizing of both Hornady and Starline brass. I am using the lee FL sizing die in RCBS JR2 press that I inherited. It is stout, and I like the cam-over so I know I have went all the way down with the lever. I have the die set to bump the shoulder back .004". My fired brass is 1.2175 at the shoulder measuring with the .350 bushing. I try to get it back to 1.213. Some/most do, but some vary anywhere from 1.210 to 1.215. Haven't figured out why as of yet. As long as it is on the short side, I go with it. My chamber seems to be on the minimum side of SAAMI specs, and a chambered but unfired round is a bit hard to eject by hand. The only ammo that will pass the "fall out" test is the Wolf steel. It is really small and fits very loose. The Hornady SST 123 gr or the Black won't fall out, but are not hard to eject by hand. I measured the chamber at
        2.262, but I load to 2.250-2.255 range. I keep seeing the Redding type s sizing die being recommended. Is it worth the price?
        Sorry to ramble, I don't see anything wrong with the Starline brass, and I bought my upper from Kelly Sanders at Sanders Armory. Really nice folks.
        I wouldn't spend money on a bushing die for brass being sized for a ar grendel. I use hornady's full length grendel sizing die and have a Redding full length as well but the hornady just works so I haven't used the Redding yet.

I do you use the Redding bushing neck die/ body die combo for my bolt grendel brass.

I use the Redding micro seater for both my rifles seating needs.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

The rcbs jr press probably has some flex to it, I switched to the rock chucker partially for that reason.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• SCJim
            Warrior
            • Apr 2019

if you are getting inconsistent sizing using a Lee FL die it is the rubber O ring on the dies lock ring causing inconsistent die tightening. Replace it with a Forster lock ring.

Comment

• gwtx
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SCJim View Post
              if you are getting inconsistent sizing using a Lee FL die it is the rubber O ring on the dies lock ring causing inconsistent die tightening. Replace it with a Forster lock ring.
              Thanks for the reply. I had taken the O ring out when the problem first started, but I will look into a better lock ring, or a better/different die. I've not had this problem before. I took the O ring out of one my dies years ago because it was blocking the vent hole. That made a mess of the brass, and took me a while to figure out.
              When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• gwtx
                Warrior
                • Feb 2019

Found Lyman lock rings on ebay for $5.99 shipped free at greentopsportinggoods.

Comment

• SCJim
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2019

Found Lyman lock rings on ebay for $5.99 shipped free at greentopsportinggoods.
                  hope it helps. The part of the die die that sets the shoulder back is a machined piece of metal. The only time I ever had any inconsistencies in the measurement from the base to the shoulder datum was when I used a different shell holder or had not spun the die down firmly. I am not into extreme accuracy as much as some who use a Redding Competition Shellholder Kit when resizing but I do have a dedicated shellholder for each resizing that lives with the die

Comment

• gwtx
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2019

I only have one shell holder for the Grendel [#12] in the Lee line. I have another one on order to dedicate to the Lee press for seating and running the Lee FC die. I have the old RCBS dedicated for sizing the Grendel cases. The rifle shoots better than I can, not complaining about that. I'm just not accustomed to seeing the variances I see in my reloads, and/or the factory ammo for that matter. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                    X