• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bearcatrp
    Warrior
    • Apr 2018

Hornady brass soft?

Thinking Hornady brass is soft but possibly my Hornady dies are causing this loading Speer 120 GD. I did or a special mandrel a hair bigger than what the die does but still get this happening. Anyone else having this issue?
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Yes hornady brass is soft but your sizing die is causing that. Read the directions and reset your sizing die.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Sizing die set too low, case mouth/shoulder striking the internal stop. Hornady brass is just fine. Maybe softer than Lapua but guys typically get 5-10 or more loadings out of them.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Bearcatrp
        Warrior
        • Apr 2018

All brass trimmed to spec. Die is set per instructions. Happens sporadic. If it did it constantly, would have adjusted the die.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Man you got something bad wrong for your seating die to be crushing the case like that.

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

Your die is not adjusted properly if it happens once the die is not properly set..

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

OP. Quick question. Did you chamfer and deburr the cases before you tryed to seat the bullets?

Comment

• Bearcatrp
                Warrior
                • Apr 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                OP. Quick question. Did you chamfer and deburr the cases before you tryed to seat the bullets?
                Always. Will be doing another set of 50 shortly. Die book states to touch shell holder (with press raised), then back off 1 full turn. This is what I do. Will try 1 1/2 turns next round to see if it happens again. The GD bullets are the only one doing this.

Comment

• CJW
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

Seating die.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Bearcatrp View Post
                    Always. Will be doing another set of 50 shortly. Die book states to touch shell holder (with press raised), then back off 1 full turn. This is what I do. Will try 1 1/2 turns next round to see if it happens again. The GD bullets are the only one doing this.
                    Don't forget it says to raise the ram with a empty and sized peice of brass in the shell holder as well.

If you don't put a empty in and set the die with it, it will be wrong.

Could that be the problem?

Comment

• Bearcatrp
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2018

Yep, that too. Just forgot to list it. Been reloading around 9 years now. This is the first caliber to do this. Reloaded 50BMG, 338, 308, 6.5CM, 300BO, and 44 mag. Have never had this issue before.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                        Warrior
                        • May 2017

What does the case neck O.D. measure before and after seating, and how thick are the necks?

Comment

• Popeye212
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2018

How pronounced is the chamfer I use a VLD/ELD chamfer it takes it a little farther down inside the neck. You might try a little more chamfer those bullets don't have much of a "boattail". I've loaded them in .223 and the Grendel.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Bearcatrp View Post
                            Yep, that too. Just forgot to list it. Been reloading around 9 years now. This is the first caliber to do this. Reloaded 50BMG, 338, 308, 6.5CM, 300BO, and 44 mag. Have never had this issue before.
                            Ok so probably a dumb question but did you back out the seater plug while setting up the die with the empty brass?

Are did you just thread the die itself into the press?

If good to go there. I quess it comes down too something to do with the bullet are it could be as simple as some bad brass.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Looking closer at the pics. It looks like I can see some bullet shavings around the case mouth. I wonder if it's something to do with the surface coating of the bullet and maybe needing to be VLD chamfered.

I haven't messed with the gold dots yet so not sure just spitballing some thoughts.
                              Last edited by A5BLASTER; 08-29-2019, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X