X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rosecrans1
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

I have what appears to be two different lots based on the photo of the SKU you provided. Everything is the same with the exception of the "REV" code. Yours is 41828 REV lss. This is what I have been loading. I also have 3 boxes of 41828 Rev A. I've gone through several boxes of the Rev lss code without issues. Before I started loading the Gold Dots, I had some shaving on some ELD's so I took the sizer apart and gave it a good cleaning. No shaving noted thereafter and it's the only trouble the Hornaday dies have given me thus far. I think 6.5 Grendel Fever's suggestion of giving that die a good cleaning is good advice. You may very well have some soft brass but it could be that coupled with an issue in your sizing die. Good luck!

Comment

• Bearcatrp
      Warrior
      • Apr 2018

Cleaned out seater die, wasn't that dirty. I resized the brass. These are new. I trimmed originally to 1.510 according to hornady reload manual. Just resized these brass and measured 1.505. Ran them through the resizer die 3 times and verified with case gauge. Seems funny they shrunk .05. Will reload the pulled bullets. Will back off 1 1/2 turns this time to see what happens.

Comment

• lazyengineer
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2019

I'm.... not sure how to say this without coming across kind of as a jerk; but holy smokes - stop next time this happens! This was done to like... 20 rounds in that photo!

In my experience, I had something similar to this happen in a progressive with the powder drop once. It can happen if it isn't adjusted; but in my case it was because I was using a poorly metering stick powder, like 4064 or other large-grain, that would bind up the drum, and cause the casing to crush up into the works of the powder dispenser.

In your case, that might be it, or it might be the bullet seater. In the many thpusand rounds of rifle ammunition I've personally loaded in my career, I've never had a bullet alone do this.
        Last edited by lazyengineer; 09-02-2019, 04:20 PM.
        4x P100

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

OP. I seen a thread on snipershide if I remember correctly of this very same thing but with lapua brass being crushed down when trying to seat a 120 gold dot.

Measure the dia of the bullet for us if you wouldn't mind. I'm wondering if the gold dot is a lil bigger around then .264 and with the case neck being sized down with the sizer.

Maybe it's a tolerance stacking issue. I.E. slightly oversized bullet and a slightly to tight sized down case neck.

Comment

• Bearcatrp
            Warrior
            • Apr 2018

If it was doing it on every round, yes, I would have stopped after the 1st five. It was crushing the cases randomly while others seated fine. Just finished reload the brass that crushed. ZERO issues on all reloads. Did have the seater die backed off 1 1/2 turns compared to just 1 turn previously. Possibly the light cleaning I did in the die corrected it but still unsure.

Comment

• Bearcatrp
              Warrior
              • Apr 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
              OP. I seen a thread on snipershide if I remember correctly of this very same thing but with lapua brass being crushed down when trying to seat a 120 gold dot.

Measure the dia of the bullet for us if you wouldn't mind. I'm wondering if the gold dot is a lil bigger around then .264 and with the case neck being sized down with the sizer.

Maybe it's a tolerance stacking issue. I.E. slightly oversized bullet and a slightly to tight sized down case neck.
              I do find a few once in awhile a bit larger than .264 but I use a special order mandrel thats a smidge larger than the sizer just for this bullet. I'll pull out a fresh box and compare all 50 next time i'm in the reload room just to see. Before the mandrel, all GD rounds shaved off when seating. After using the mandrel, maybe 1 in 25 would shave a smidge.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Bearcatrp View Post
                I do find a few once in awhile a bit larger than .264 but I use a special order mandrel thats a smidge larger than the sizer just for this bullet. I'll pull out a fresh box and compare all 50 next time i'm in the reload room just to see. Before the mandrel, all GD rounds shaved off when seating. After using the mandrel, maybe 1 in 25 would shave a smidge.
                Sounds like that is where the problem is. Some of the gold dots are slightly oversized and added to that the stubby boattail.

Sounds like you got it ironed out now sir.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2016

I would go over your seating die set-up.

I have that exact same lot# of bullets. Loaded into 5x fired brass, no crushed shoulders.

I do chamfer my brass with a VLD type reamer. I don't do anything special for the neck, using just a regular Hornady die set. No issues.

SY

Comment

• Fred Garvin
                    Unwashed
                    • May 2017

I just checked one of my boxes of GD's and they have the same info on the tag. What I did find is there is a slight step where the boat tail meets the major diameter of the bullet. It measures .264 the length of the bullet but right at that step I get .265+
                    I will attach a pic on a bit

Comment

• Fred Garvin
                      Unwashed
                      • May 2017

20190903_141606.jpg

I have not tried loading any yet. Still need to build up a supply of fired brass. I do have a question on my fired brass but will start another thread for that
                      Last edited by Fred Garvin; 09-03-2019, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

Sounds like this one could use some extra love on the deburr? I'd shoot em, hell this is America. If .264 is good, .265 is better right?!?
                        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Popeye212
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2018

Mine measure about .230 at the base but .264 after the step.

Comment

Working...
                          X