X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Bob
    Warrior
    • Oct 2019

RCBS makes both standard 2-die sets & small base 2-die sets for 6.5 Grendel. The info on their website says the small base set is for resizing brass for ARs. I've tried small base FL dies for resizing both 5.56 NATO & 7.62 NATO brass for semi-autos but found brass life is shortened by a couple of reloads. I've never had a problem cycling either caliber in my rifles after using standard FL dies.

I have a Hornady die set. I'm assuming the FL sizer is a standard die.
    I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• JTPinTX
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2019

I realize this is an older thread and the OP has already gotten his dies.

I have been reloading for about 30 years, and precision reloading for about 25. I have used dies from most of the various manufacturers over the years. I like Redding dies and use the bushing dies in some of my LR shooting applications where I neck turn. I also anneal cases e very 2-3 firing for everything I reload.

At this point I buy Forester dies for pretty much everything except a few specialized rifles. My coyote calling rifles, my AR's, my general purpose shooting and hunting rifles, they all get Forester dies. Reason being is the way they place the expander ball. An expander ball is IMO a necessary evil for the most part. Yeah, if you neck turn very accurately and take great care with brass prep then bushing dies can work very well. If not though, bushing dies can cause problems. The expander ball fixes those problems, but in many cases can create other problems of its own. Like pulling case necks out of alignment increasing runout. Forester places their expander ball very high in the die, so that as the ball starts to engage the neck and starts to expand it, the top portion of the neck is still supported in the die. That keeps everything aligned and keeps necks straight as the case mouth is expanded. I have never had any issues with high bullet runout in any ammunition I have loaded on Forester dies. I have had those issues at times with dies made by everyone else. Lee, RCBS, Redding, Hornady just to name a few.

Anyways, as a general rule Forester is always the die I recommend for general use. I even use them for several of my precision rifles.

Comment

• Popeye212
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by JTPinTX View Post
        I realize this is an older thread and the OP has already gotten his dies.

I have been reloading for about 30 years, and precision reloading for about 25. I have used dies from most of the various manufacturers over the years. I like Redding dies and use the bushing dies in some of my LR shooting applications where I neck turn. I also anneal cases e very 2-3 firing for everything I reload.

At this point I buy Forester dies for pretty much everything except a few specialized rifles. My coyote calling rifles, my AR's, my general purpose shooting and hunting rifles, they all get Forester dies. Reason being is the way they place the expander ball. An expander ball is IMO a necessary evil for the most part. Yeah, if you neck turn very accurately and take great care with brass prep then bushing dies can work very well. If not though, bushing dies can cause problems. The expander ball fixes those problems, but in many cases can create other problems of its own. Like pulling case necks out of alignment increasing runout. Forester places their expander ball very high in the die, so that as the ball starts to engage the neck and starts to expand it, the top portion of the neck is still supported in the die. That keeps everything aligned and keeps necks straight as the case mouth is expanded. I have never had any issues with high bullet runout in any ammunition I have loaded on Forester dies. I have had those issues at times with dies made by everyone else. Lee, RCBS, Redding, Hornady just to name a few.

Anyways, as a general rule Forester is always the die I recommend for general use. I even use them for several of my precision rifles.
        What he ^^ said. Like I mentioned before I added a mandrel die and am getting consistent SD's in the 3's and 4's

Comment

• outbreaker
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
          Well, I’ve got some Forster dies also, mostly seating dies but, like someone else mentioned earlier, seems they’re always “out of stock” on the size I want...........

FWIW: just ran the same test with a Forster Neck Bumping Bushing die and got the same results. The increase in runout was about half what I experienced with the Hornady dies but, it still increased on most of the cases. So, seems the bushing type dies are the culprit, regardless of the manufacturer.
          They are worth the expense and wait. I love my CO-ax press as well.

Comment

• FLshooter
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

If you use Forster dies/a Forster CoAx press,you can’t go wrong.My bullet runout is to a minimum.But,before I got the CoAx and the Forster dies,I only used a Rockchucker,which I still have mounted on my bench.And I used Lee,RCBS and Hornady dies.Nothing wrong with those.Especially if you are on a budget.A $30 set of dies opposed to $150.A $170 press opposed to $350 .And depending on what level shooter you are and what king of shooting you are into,the difference may be negligible.

Comment

• Grendelshooter
              Warrior
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by centerfire View Post
              I have never regretted Forster or Redding dies.
              I regret my Forster micrometer seating for for 223. After probably 3000-4000 rounds it started gouging bullets during seating. Always kept clean, inspected everything, looked good to go, but tore bullet jackets up.
              The Hornady die is infinitely superior for my use.

Comment

Working...
              X