Dallas area Grendel Reloaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol....... there are some videos somewhere. I will try to locate and get one or two uploaded.

Comment

Here is a quick vid of the quarter scale. This flight is on an N motor that flew to over 12K ft.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Hi there -

I want to share my experience with you as I am fairly new to reloading in general (haven't reloaded for Grendel yet).

There are quite a number of reloading videos out there and I have found these to be very helpful.

Sinclair Reloading Videos - 8 Part Series

Part 1: Introduction to Reloading

Part 2: Introduction to Reloading Safety.

Part 3: Introduction to the Components of a Metallic Cartridge

Part 4: The Firing Sequence

Part 5: Tools for Reloading

Part 6, Part 1: Loading a Bottle Neck Cartridge

Part 6, Part 2: Loading a Bottle Neck Cartridge

Part 7 - Part 7: Loading Straight Wall Cartridges

Part 8: Reloading Series Conclusion

Now I do not mean to discourage you in any way but I can tell you that I sat in with a buddy who reloads 5 or 6 times and I didn't really absorb the full scope of the project and when I did my first reloading alone I goofed up a few rounds pretty good. So sitting in with someone once or twice really isn't going to be enough but I do understand your motive and it is a good one.

Also you mentioned being impatient, well that violates one of the major written rules of reloading and so my best advice is this:

Watch the videos above a few times

Don't buy everything from the online retailer ($$$) but instead look to some forums, classified sections, for good deals.

Start your reloading with an easy caliber, maybe a straight wall pistol caliber so that you learn the mechanics of reloading.

Lastly go out and buy a reloading manual and read it like a book, the preface and opening chapters are usually loaded with good tips and definitions of parts and methods.

Goodluck to you, traveling around the metroplex is such a pain in the rear that it is going to be real hard to get someone to help right away. Plus gas cost etc doesn't help.

BB

Comment

Some good info there Benny. Thanks for posting the links to the videos. Looks like I will have a busy night tonight in front of the computer. Just to clarify on a statement that I did make earlier, the impatient part is in the terms of getting started in purchasing of equipment, getting setup and seeing the process first hand. When it comes to actually performing the work, by all means, there will be nothing done in a hurry in that aspect. I am very fond of having all of my digits on my hands and my handsome facial features. So I do intend on being very cautious with this new venture getting into reloading.

Thanks again for the info.

Comment

And I thought G motors were impressive! Those aren't rockets, those are ROCKETS. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Some impressive work, that's for certain.

Comment

• BjornF16
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Trade you some first hand Grendel reloading experience in Burleson for some first hand rocketry wherever you launch those bad-boys...
              LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
              Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't do the rocket thing anymore but, for the big boys, you will have to go to Amarillo, west of Abiline or Black Rock Nevada. There are launches that are held at the old airport in Hearne,tx and down by Waco in Asa. That was always the issue with the big projects, you had to travel to get outside of regular flight paths of airplanes. Even at that, the FAA waivers would send out NOTAMS and redirect flight paths or give us windows to specified altitudes.

In Amarillo, we could fly to 50K ft. Black Rock lets us fly to 100K ft and I believe out in west texas, they can get the 50K ft waiver as well. Most other launch sites get restricted to 25K or smaller based on the size of the recovery area.

I can get launch infor for you if you really want to go check out one with some bigger projects. Most fields will support up to "M" motor impulse. Those are usually in the 4" diameter motor class.

Comment

Originally posted by mwilkins View Post
                  Yea, I progressed beyond the G motors by a few alphabet letters. Most of my stuff was experimental with full fabrication from airframes, fins, motor development all they way through telemetry items. We were punching some pretty good holes in the sky. Here is my last project with fully automated launch pad I built.

Damn Dude! That is impressive! I live in Van Alstyne but don't reload yet but may need to this year for the Grendel and my .45acp. Will be in your same position soon.

Comment

What's the BC on that bad boy...

Comment

hi i am in north dallas/plano and would be willing to help you get started

Comment

Excellant. Thank you for the offer Curtis. Just let me know when you have time available. I work regular business hours so most evenings after 6 pm and weekends works best for me.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                          hi i am in north dallas/plano and would be willing to help you get started
                          Welcome aboard Curtis!
                          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

I'm in the Lewisville area. Glad to give some pointers.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Tater but Curtis has offered to show me the ropes and he lives about 15 min from me. Thanks again and welcome to the Grendel forum.

Comment

I'm in Wylie and am looking for someone to buy from also....

Comment

Working...
                                X