• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lostintexas
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2017

120 Gold Dot and Varmint

Anyone running a 120 GD over Varmint? Cant find AA2000-MR in the area, so went with the Varmint.
    All opinions would be helpful. I've never loaded Grendel.
    What's on hand.
    120 Gold Dot
    Hornady Brass (may order some Starline unless cautioned against it here)
    CCI450 Primers
    2.225 OAL is set right now

16 inch Wolf upper. Very accurate with Hornady SST and ELD-M

I' like to get 2500 FPS, but believe that to be very optimistic. 2400 would be great. This is my grocery getter right now.
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

@Mel has been working with PPV now for a few weeks, he'd be the one I'd hit up for insight. He's got several threads on PPV with some various projos going on.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Hornady brass
      Ar-comp 28.2 grains
      16 inch AA barrel= 2457 average

Can't say how the varmint would do, I haven't used it with that bullet. In fact I stopped useing it at all.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

A5, add some context to the last sentence. Why? And congrats on 5k lol...
        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Just a heads up with the Speer 120 Gold Dot. Do not try to use as much powder no matter which one with the Gold Dot as you would with other cup and core 120 gr bullets. In my experience with two different rifles you will reach too much pressure with lower powder charges but you can achieve about the same velocity with the lower powder charge. Another something that I discovered is that Speers load data is quite a bit conservative most powders except PPV. I found IMR 8208 to my liking with the 120 Gold Dot. In my 20" BCA barrel average 2550 fps in my 18" Oden Works barrel 2500 fps. Sub MOA accuracy consistently with 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Killed one deer with the 20" at 111 yards and it did AWESOMELY.

Comment

• Lemonaid
            Warrior
            • Feb 2019

PPV Max 27.2 for 2475 fps from 24 inch barrel per Speer.
            They may have backed down the max charge from earlier postings. If so, they must of had a safety reason for it.
            Sierra's site goes up to 29.6 for 2600 fps on their 120's
            Last edited by Lemonaid; 03-07-2020, 11:30 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

• okiecat
              Warrior
              • Sep 2017

I too tried ppv with 120gr bullets. Just couldn't get any consistency. Like 8208 and Ar-comp much better. Quit using the ppv.

Comment

• Lostintexas
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2017

No idea who @Mel is, so not a lot of help there and the search seems a bit suspect around here.
                It seems I picked the wrong powder. Well the only powder in 75+ miles of me. One little shop with a limited supply. They may sell the IMR, but it is the slowest thing on the chart, and with limited barrel length, I was trying to speed things up a bit.
                Oh well, we'll see how things go. It is this or road trip every time I want powder. Hopefully it will work out. Every other load has so far without a lot of fooling with components.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

The thread Kswhitetails was refering to was by forum member mel and the thread where he used Power Pro Varmint powder.

tommorow im going to start working up some loads witht he speer tnt and ppv , i dont have any load data from a book to go witht he tnt's so im going to base my starting point between sierra's load data for 85 and 100g bullets so im thinking my starting point will be about 29.5g unless anyone has a better suggestion , ill

Speer has online load data for Power Pro Varmint and a 120 grain gold dot bullet. Sierra also has posted reloading data using PPV and 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter.

Here is a link to the Speer loading data for the 120 grain Gold Dot.

Here is a link to Sierra 6.5 Grendel online loading data.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-08-2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Lostintexas
                    Unwashed
                    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                    The thread Kswhitetails was refering to was by forum member mel and the thread where he used Power Pro Varmint powder.

tommorow im going to start working up some loads witht he speer tnt and ppv , i dont have any load data from a book to go witht he tnt's so im going to base my starting point between sierra's load data for 85 and 100g bullets so im thinking my starting point will be about 29.5g unless anyone has a better suggestion , ill

Speer has online load data for Power Pro Varmint and a 120 grain gold dot bullet. Sierra also has posted reloading data using PPV and 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter.

Here is a link to the Speer loading data for the 120 grain Gold Dot.

Here is a link to Sierra 6.5 Grendel online loading data.

Thanks, I have the Speer data, and that is what I meant by the chart speeds. I didn't realize PPV was temperature sensitive , or overly so. No matter, I got what I could.
                    If it doesn't work out, I'll be road tripping for some 2000 MR. I might be anyway if I happen to be somewhere close to pick some up.
                    You said what you get, but not how you get there. If I end up needing to rethink the powder, I would like to have some real world use.
                    Cheers

Comment

• Harpoon1
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Lostintexas View Post
                      Thanks, I have the Speer data, and that is what I meant by the chart speeds. I didn't realize PPV was temperature sensitive , or overly so. No matter, I got what I could.
                      If it doesn't work out, I'll be road tripping for some 2000 MR. I might be anyway if I happen to be somewhere close to pick some up.
                      You said what you get, but not how you get there. If I end up needing to rethink the powder, I would like to have some real world use.
                      Cheers
                      Last edited by Harpoon1; 03-08-2020, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• mel
                        Chieftain
                        • Nov 2019

gold dots are on my list of to try bullets soon with ppv , ive got a ton of deer and antelope tags to fill this year and im either going to be using the 120g gd or the 123g sst on them . ive been so busy on the farm with work i havent been able to do much latley , hopefully in the next week or so i can get back to playing with various bullets again

only reason i hesitate to use the 90g tnts on the antelope is in the wide open out here ur lucky to get within 400 yards for a shot that 90g im thinking is going to be a lil light at that range for them

Comment

• Harpoon1
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          gold dots are on my list of to try bullets soon with ppv , ive got a ton of deer and antelope tags to fill this year and im either going to be using the 120g gd or the 123g sst on them . ive been so busy on the farm with work i havent been able to do much latley , hopefully in the next week or so i can get back to playing with various bullets again

only reason i hesitate to use the 90g tnts on the antelope is in the wide open out here ur lucky to get within 400 yards for a shot that 90g im thinking is going to be a lil light at that range for them
                          Mel

Have you tried Varget or H4895 with the Gold Dots? Varget is typically too slow for a lot of people but Ive heard with the Gold Dots unique construction, they tend to be faster than typical cup and core bullets with similar charges.

I plan on testing that theory soon.

Comment

• mel
                            Chieftain
                            • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
                            Mel

Have you tried Varget or H4895 with the Gold Dots? Varget is typically too slow for a lot of people but Ive heard with the Gold Dots unique construction, they tend to be faster than typical cup and core bullets with similar charges.

I plan on testing that theory soon.
                            i tried out some 4895 with 123g eld-m and 123g monster match bullets my gun didnt like that powder havent tried it with anything else since

Comment

• Harpoon1
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              i tried out some 4895 with 123g eld-m and 123g monster match bullets my gun didnt like that powder havent tried it with anything else since
                              Roger that!

Comment

Working...
                              X