X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bobke
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

I just picked up 100ea of the 120gr Gold Dots, but will begin testing with AR Comp around the 27.2-27.4 range, which has been outstanding with 123 Sierras in 2 Saterns (20/24"), a Wilson Combat 20" and an 18" JP. Still working on a 20" Bartlein and an AR319 Lilja. What is different in the Gold Dot construction, cup and core bullets and monolithics like Barnes that loads should be kept in check to monitor pressure, other than what good loading practice dictates?

Comment

• 1Shot
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

Bobke be careful with the Gold Dot and don't just substitute it for a bullet of the same weight range with the same powder charge even if it is a cup and core type. You will run into pressure quicker with the Gold Dot. You can get about the same velocity as the other cup and core bullets with less powder using the Gold Dot. Back off your powder charge 10% and work back up slowly. I have had great success with velocity and accuracy and the Gold Dot is a KILLER.

Comment

• Harpoon1
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
        Bobke be careful with the Gold Dot and don't just substitute it for a bullet of the same weight range with the same powder charge even if it is a cup and core type. You will run into pressure quicker with the Gold Dot. You can get about the same velocity as the other cup and core bullets with less powder using the Gold Dot. Back off your powder charge 10% and work back up slowly. I have had great success with velocity and accuracy and the Gold Dot is a KILLER.

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

You have to know your rifle but in both of mine this is how I figure I am above safe pressures. First off I use a chronograph. If I am getting lets say 50 to 75 fps over what would be considered max velocity with that weight bullet no matter the make of it out of the same length barrel I know I am either at or about max. Then if I am getting ejector swipes I know I am above pressure and then back off. I have polished the edge of my ejector holes to remove any sharp edge or burr that could cause a premature swipe. It also depends on your cases also. Factory Hornady 123 SST ammo I fired or using new Hornady cases I have discovered I think has a soft case head and you can get slight ejector swipes on the first firing with safe loads. But after that first firing it seems that the case head hardens up enough so swipes do not appear is one thought. Another thought is the new cases have slightly less capacity and cause higher pressure than the same load in a previously fired and sized case. Ain't hand loading fun trying to figure stuff out. LOL

Comment

• Harpoon1
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
            You have to know your rifle but in both of mine this is how I figure I am above safe pressures. First off I use a chronograph. If I am getting lets say 50 to 75 fps over what would be considered max velocity with that weight bullet no matter the make of it out of the same length barrel I know I am either at or about max. Then if I am getting ejector swipes I know I am above pressure and then back off. I have polished the edge of my ejector holes to remove any sharp edge or burr that could cause a premature swipe. It also depends on your cases also. Factory Hornady 123 SST ammo I fired or using new Hornady cases I have discovered I think has a soft case head and you can get slight ejector swipes on the first firing with safe loads. But after that first firing it seems that the case head hardens up enough so swipes do not appear is one thought. Another thought is the new cases have slightly less capacity and cause higher pressure than the same load in a previously fired and sized case. Ain't hand loading fun trying to figure stuff out. LOL

Comment

• Lostintexas
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2017

2330 from a 16" barrel at 55 degrees with 28 grains PPVarmint. That will give me a 30 to 90 degree temperature range with about 27ish FPS rise or drop in speed. Very adequate temp range for here and when I'll be shooting.
              It was raining and nasty. My chronograph is now toast, but this will be a plenty good enough round to any distance I will shoot with it.
              If I want longer, I have something for that and the something is a much tighter shooter.
              A shopping I will go. Gotta find a chronograph for my 140 grain Creedmoor work up.

Comment

• usmc0352
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2020

6.5 Grendel 120gr Speer Gold Dot 29.2gr TAC 2.261COAL .562 inch group.jpg Not PPV but this is the results that I got with 26.0 grains of TAC with the 120 Gold Dots. They are shooters for sure in my PSA 18" upper.

Comment

• Lostintexas
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2017

Got out one last time with this load. Ended up with 28.1. Not sure where the velocity ended up but on a 60 degree day it closed the group to about 3/4 inch. 28.2 and 28.3 opened up the group. This will be my utility load. Inside 300 yards it should get the job done.
                  I would like to close it up a little, but that would be an entire work up with new powder, and who knows which would be better, and would only get modest gains if any. My season for days in the 60's is rapidly coming to an end and that temp gives me 31 FPS (on paper) to a range of 25 to 95 degrees to play with. I think that will do.
                  Happy Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X