• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danm
    Warrior
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
    That was my thinking as well. Already have a long barreled bolt grendel and 2 handloads that can reach 1000 yards very well.

So I was going to do a 12 or 12.5 inch ARC, then I got to looking at some real life speeds and looking at bullet options for hunting and I quickly came to the realisation that ARC won't do anything better for hunting, then what my 12 inch grendel can do now.

So I'm out the ARC game all together.
    Yeah I'm just gonna do a barrel swap on my 18" DMR build and see how much difference the ARC makes at 600+.... If I don't like it, easy swap back and sell the barrel

Comment

• jmkhenka
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2020

Load up a 100 grain ELD-M instead of the 123 in grendel, and everything improves.
      100 grain: v0 of 850mps, 36 mil drop @ 500 meters (scenar 100)
      123 grain: v0 of 740mps, 46mil drop @ 500 meters (scenar 123)

100 grain has more energy all the way up to 300-320 meters.

What makes a bullet better?!

And for hunting a grendel beats the 6mm.. Unless the 6mm is in a larger caliber like 6XC.. but in the powder limited cases both have, the 6mm is more balanced overall.

Velocity is not always a good thing, despite what they manufacturers call for.

Comment

• Bfglowkee
        Warrior
        • Jan 2019

Also keep in mind this about the mindset of consumers: They buy so they wont ever have to buy again.
        Sounds silly I know but in the gun world its easy to see. Folks are always talking about " one gun/caliber to do it all....hunt, target shoot, run & gun and hell be ready to sniper Fidel Castro should the president call " OK so that last one is probably not relevant anymore but you get the drift. Folks want to have just one that is the Leatherman's utility rifle/caliber. I gave up on that notion and realized I buy cause MERICA, that's why. Seriously, the "do-it-all" hype is a very powerful slogan to get those people that have been on the fence about buying their first rifle/gun. It eases their conscious so they can rationalize "pulling the trigger" and buying. It also happens to work on the avid enthusiast since well we do love shiny new toys! The Grendel is a great and versatile round that is so much fun to shoot on both bolt and semi auto platforms. The advertisement just does it wrong in many cases and tends to "make the other look like worse so ours looks better" vs " These are the advantages to ours, while minor at times and you can decide if those differences are worth it to you"
        I am gonna dip my toe in the ARC world mainly because I need a 6mm offering that wont chew through barrels like my 6mm CM. Lets see if the hype is real.

Comment

Working...
        X