X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

+1 on the Litz book (Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting) for anyone trying to do this. Although it's incredibly dry, reads like an 200 level undergrad applied math textbook, includes a lot of superfluous statistical validation (which can be skipped over), it is extremely helpful to understand exactly what your bullet is doing from when it exits your barrel to when it hits your target and why. It shouldn't be viewed as a "How To" manual, however.
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Mad Charlie
      Warrior
      • May 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
      +1 on the Litz book (Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting) for anyone trying to do this. Although it's incredibly dry, reads like an 200 level undergrad applied math textbook, includes a lot of superfluous statistical validation (which can be skipped over), it is extremely helpful to understand exactly what your bullet is doing from when it exits your barrel to when it hits your target and why. It shouldn't be viewed as a "How To" manual, however.
      I have this book, and I have to say that I agree with StoneHendge. Not a book to study when distractions are going on.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
        Guys -- take note what SH said.

"It shouldn't be viewed as a "How To" manual, however."

Here is a practical and effective 'How To' manual.

"Reading the Wind and Coaching Techniques", by MSG Owens.

Cost is $15.00 on Amazon.

This is a revised manual from his original that came out a good 30 years ago.

If any of you want to learn a easily remembered and simple process for doping winds, I recommend you spend fifteen dollars for this manual and heed his advice.

LR55

Comment

• Mad Charlie
          Warrior
          • May 2017

Cool, thanks!

Comment

• Lemonaid
            Warrior
            • Feb 2019

Book ordered! Thanks for the referral .

Comment

• Lemonaid
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

National Shooting Sports Foundation vid on wind estimation. Other vids in series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p026Y0WUy6Q

Comment

• SCJim
                Warrior
                • Apr 2019

Another good wind bible is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0793HH2FT...ng=UTF8&btkr=1. I read several books on wind and saw only minimal improvement. What worked for me was getting out there on windy days and practicing on days when the environmental factors truly sucked

In 2008 I took up precision shooting as a retirement hobby, bought a Savage FT/R model 12 in .308 and decided I wanted to learn F Class shooting. For years I struggled and could never make it past Sharpshooter classification. I went through several changes with calibers, and upgrading equipment, tried all of the pixie dust reloading toys but could never keep my groups centered. Any shift in wind conditions or mirage in a match and my scores went in the toilet. Then I found my magic wand. A humble CZ 452 in .22 LR. For five or six months my centerfires sat in the safe and I shot a average of 200 - 300 rounds a week at 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards with that CZ and burned a case or two of SK Pistol Match Special (50 for $10 ammo) working on my shooting technique and wind reading. The first F class match I shot next season was in very windy conditions, I scored 587 out of 600. Take it for whatever that is worth but that is what worked for me.

Comment

Working...
                X