• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Oso Polaris View Post
    Moral/Ethical conundrum - if you sell at current market price are you Price Gouging or actually selling at or below the Replacement Cost that you will pay when you need to buy more primers. Or simply put if I paid $35 for 1K primers when I bought them in 2019 and sold them for $100 in 2021, and in next year (2022) I run out and need to buy more primers and the cost is $150... Did I price gouge when I sold the primers for $100??? I know it feels wrong, but it seems that the only way that you can point the finger is if you have a crystal ball and know when and by how much the availability and price of primers will return to "normal".

There is an economic concept of price inelasticity... price goes up easy, but does not as easily return back to it's previous level. If you remember during the Obama period the price of primers went UP and when they return to somewhat normal there was definitely an increase ($0.75 - $1.00 per 100 sleeve so like 30%), but it felt like a blessing after the hyper-inflated prices. I expect to see a similar effect... maybe another 30% price increase.
    You are of course correct. But people aren't nearly as rational as they think they are (which includes you and me at times too). Until I had something I was considering selling, I too used to think everyone had some sort of moral obligation to sell at near original pricing; or they were otherwise terrible people taking advantage. Once you find yourself with the shoe on the other foot; you quickly realize that the replacement (or exchange) cost and uncertain future availability, makes the current sound sell-price far more than what market price was in a former era (last year). If you want to turn your 100 gr bullets into 120 gr bullets; you kind of have to float your price of your 100 gr bullets you are selling, with the new price-increase on the 120 gr bullets; for example.

But really, "fair" is defined by the person talking. This is just the human experience, and has always worked this way; even in a conservative gun forum. The hate on Cheaper Than Dirt is astounding. By and large, you're probably better just sitting on it and not selling at all if you want to avoid anyone hating on you.
    4x P100

Comment

• Constitutionalist
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post

But really, "fair" is defined by the person talking. This is just the human experience, and has always worked this way; even in a conservative gun forum. The hate on Cheaper Than Dirt is astounding. By and large, you're probably better just sitting on it and not selling at all if you want to avoid anyone hating on you.

Very true. And to be honest I'm focusing on the first part of your last sentence - "sitting on it". For the market to return to "normal" we're going to need lots of ammo and components hitting the market (without add'l taxes, etc.) when everyone has reached their comfort-level of stock. I'm not counting on it. I didn't buy ammo or components with the thought of making money. I bought them with the intention of shooting them. A gun without ammo is a poorly-designed club.

Good luck!

John
      Last edited by Constitutionalist; 02-09-2021, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• ritepath
        Unwashed
        • Jan 2021

I'm not reloading for anything but my newest rifle (just happens to be the 6.5) the components I have now are just going to stay put until I can replace them. Other than Coyote and Deer guns we haven't shot anything since last August. We've even had to stop hitting the Clays range since birdshot dried up. I have managed to cast about 5000 9mm, and cleaned up a bunch of dies for calibers I don't own. Three more weeks and it'll be time to fish anyway, so F it, I'll buy powder and projectiles and sit on everything.

Comment

• Constitutionalist
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

The shooting I've been doing is to develop test loads for calibers/components I haven't worked up yet. Got a bunch of Vectan TU 5000 today and I'll be working up .223, .308, and .30-06 loads and then putting the rest of the shelf for a rainy day. Next summer some friends and I are planning on restarting what we used to call "Gunfest". That'll burn a thousand or so rounds (mix of rifle, shotgun, and handgun) but not planning to use any of my best. Plus it'll be a chance to give some of my newer loads a real workout. Gotta have SOME fun!

Comment

• Mesa1978
            Warrior
            • May 2015

I've used Vectan 5000 in my 6.5 creedmoor, performed like Varget in that cartridge. Lighter bullets, of course.

Comment

• Razorback
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2020

We are creating a new "normal" by buying products at overinflated prices. Back during the Sandy Hook, ammo run in Upstate N.Y., we had .22LR going for $100 a brick. It only came down when people stopped buying at these hyped up prices.

The real problem is that there is a Cabal in the ammo game, they are UNCHALLENGED and are happy to treat their customers with sub par performance. There isn't ever enough supply to meet demand for every "crisis" that has occurred at least once a year for the last 30 YEARS. Ammo and components manufacturing had a shot at warehousing, expansion and modernization since 1994. How out of touch are these manufacturers that these companies have a BILLION dollars in backlogged ammunition/ components orders. I cannot think of another industry this clueless or incapable of meeting demand for nearly 30 years. MOST successful manufacturers meet demand through the ability of ramping up PRODUCTION, through warehousing goods for years, modernization, and expansion, without leaving a BILLION dollars on the table. They seem to somehow meet orders for the military though, without a hitch and at the same time not being able to forecast market trends...like leaving 5 million NEW gun owners out of their equations!

We hear the same excuses through every shortage. BUT now we have to put up with apology letters in the form of videos with CEO's like Federal, speaking in a warehouse that is as idle, quiet and empty as my basement. It was so inactive in fact, that he did not have: hearing protection, the fear of being run over by teams of forklift operators or the need of a megaphone! I was expecting shipping containers and tractor trailers, backed up for miles being stuffed to capacity at a break neck pace, with waves of urgent factory workers. In reality it was as quiet as Sunday mass with the CEO speaking in a normal speaking voice without a hint of urgency or haste... it looked pretty lackadaisical and odd. After all we as gun owners have put up with this racket for years... why would he worry NOW? If that wasn't bad enough, he even stated that he is also raising prices by 20%...thanks...for literally NOTHING!!

Comment

• Wheelhorse
                Warrior
                • May 2014

Supply and demand determine the price. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay and if a few people foresaw this, stocked up and are willing to part with a few primers, I'm ok with it.
                Do the people who bought Amazon stock in the '90s owe the rest of us a favor?
                Last edited by Wheelhorse; 02-10-2021, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Oso Polaris
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2019

I placed an order for a flat of Federal 22lr (10boxes of Blue Box) with MidwayUSA a week after Sandy Hook. It took 14 months for that order to be filled...keep in mind this was at front end of shortage. I was shooting 2-3 boxes a month (kids). It took only a month or 2 before it became readily apparent of the cost savings to go buy each of them a new bolt action with peep sights and sideline their 10/22's.

Also, I learned that I wanted to keep [X] volume of components on hand in order to meet [x] volume of shooting for a 2 year period. This isn't hoarding, but rather inventory management taking into account the unpredictable nature and speed of supply shortages. Reloading components (powder and primers) have a 20 year life. Always easier to stock the pantry when there is no panic shortage and at a more friendly price. Ant vs. Grasshopper

Comment

• Constitutionalist
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

"Ant vs. Grasshopper"

That's exactly what I told my cousin when he said he was giving a .303 British Enfield No. 4 Mk I to his son but couldn't find ammo to go with it. (Right before I handed him a box of loaded 174gr. SPs.) And then I said, "Start jumping, Grasshopper." He's finally learned- just a little late.

John

Comment

Working...
                    X