Clear All
  • Dt219
    Warrior
    • Nov 2020

Magneto speeds and muzzle devices

• ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Last edited by ricsmall; 03-03-2021, 09:02 PM.
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Dt219
      Warrior
      • Nov 2020

Comment

• OLDCOOT
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2015

Magnetospeed was marketing an adapter that allows it to be attached to the rail or handguard if I recall correctly. Could that alleviate the problem?

Comment

• Dt219
          Warrior
          • Nov 2020

Comment

• GregP42
            Warrior
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by OLDCOOT View Post
            Magnetospeed was marketing an adapter that allows it to be attached to the rail or handguard if I recall correctly. Could that alleviate the problem?
            That is for the V3, I don't think it will work on the Sporter. I would contact them and see what they say if it will fit.

Comment

• Dt219
              Warrior
              • Nov 2020

Comment

• Lemonaid
                Warrior
                • Feb 2019

Unless there is a defined need such as a medical condition that requires small amounts of recoil, shooting without a brake or flash hider can be beneficial in two ways.
                1. It removes a variable in the system
                2. Nearby shooters are not unpleasantly bothered by the redirected blast.
                If you get cloverleafs w/o a brake, why change? (test using a thread protector.)

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Magnetospeed might affect the POI (it does for some of my rifles and not so much effect on others) but in my use of it from several years, while it might affect group sizes, I don't put a lot of stock in a group size w/ it on... I use it for the MV and data, not for grouping, that comes in my second step... the things that make for good groups are being on a node (MVs with low SD) and tuning for coal (essentially this piece is bullet-exit timing).

Anyway, back to your problems. Any muzzle device can be off center etc as above, but the other thing tends to be if you use a crush washer, those have a tendency to impart a non-equal torque around the muzzle tip. For muzzle devices I recommend using a 5/8-24 locknut, you can get several types online...

If the adapter moves the blade farther away from the bullet path you need to up the sensitivity. I don't know if the Mgsp sporter can do that, the original V1 and the V3 can do it.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Dt219
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2020

Comment

• Oryx
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2021

The gases will expand faster than the bullet moves and some will escape past the bullet and exit ahead of it. It's likely that gases still expanding and accelerating behind the bullet will have a greater impact on the bullet exiting the muzzle.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

Both of these were shot with a muzzle brake and MagnetoSpeed Sporter on (4 each). As long as it's tight and doesn't move, it will only affect the POI. If it's loose and shifts, the upwards force from the screw will shift POI as it rotates. (POI shift here was combo of Magneto, running 200 fps slower than the zero and shooting off a bench with a prone zero (always good for an MOA with me)):

IMG_20210303_165846_copy_555x344.jpg
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Dt219
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2020

Was it a forward brake ? I know that good side exiting brakes will have no effect. This thing I have with the small ports around the bullet has me wondering

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

It's the not the magneto speed that effected your groups. It is the muzzle device and the amount of torque your useing.

You had it off and it shot great you put it back on and the groups grew to over moa. So it's the muzzle device and torque amount your useing.

Use some red loctite and 10 are less inch pounds of torque, if your useing a crush washer get rid of that and get some accuwasher from Precision armament.

Comment

• Dt219
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2020

Comment

Working...
                              X