• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Originally posted by Dt219 View Post
    Was it a forward brake ? I know that good side exiting brakes will have no effect. This thing I have with the small ports around the bullet has me wondering
    IMG_20210303_184447_copy_648x486.jpg

It's a Seekins .308. Back in the day, there was no such thing as a 6.5 comp. Crush washer included. Never lapped the upper either (or any upper) while we're dispelling myths.

The only time I Magnetto'd with a forward brake was years ago with my 300 BO with a Kaw Valley linear comp. I don't recall any problems.
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Dt219
      Warrior
      • Nov 2020

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Dt,

Taking a bigger picture view, muzzle breaks will never degrade a gun's precision from 0.5MOA to 1.25MOA, unless the bullet is grazing the side. A graze and strike is way more likely with a suppressor, but a muzzle break is much shorter and the clearances way more generous. It would have to be obviously loose and obviously angled on the end before bullets graze - unless you are using a 223 brake on a 264 calibre.

My thoughts are is that your barrel is 1.25-1.5 to start with, and there is nothing wrong with the brake. The idea that you shoot a cloverleaf (on another thread) and then call it a day belies the statistical nature of shooting. To shoot a good group and then immediately stop is just kidding ourselves. Your groups fall into a Normal curve and no result or bullet should be discounted. We know AR's will have to be extraordinary to be a 0.5MOA gun and far more likely to be a 0.7-0.8MOA for Olympic grade barrels, and more like 1MOA for good barrels with careful reloading.

You say you have a Kaw Valley on your 223 and would try it if the thread was the same - is that drilled out for 223? If you sourced a thread adapter or machined your 6.5 to 1/2x28 will a 6.5 bullet fit through that hole? If it does no doubt clearance will be a tight fit so you never want to let that come lose and regardless, it may affect bullet stability. I recommend sticking with purpose-built 6.5 brakes.

Comment

• Dt219
            Warrior
            • Nov 2020

Last edited by Dt219; 03-04-2021, 04:47 AM.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Dt,

If you are interested in accuracy and linears here's a thought. Linears don't have to be timed so you don't have to use a crush washer. The original A1 birdcages didn't need to be timed so they used split washers. The advantage of a split washer is you don't need to do them up more than hand tight,which means they can be removed after every firing to clean the crown. As you know, keeping the crown clean help accuracy, not a lot but it all adds up. The one in the photo is a Troy Claymore, same design as a Kaw but with the attitude-adjustment pointy bits.

Comment

• Dt219
                Warrior
                • Nov 2020

Here is the one I bought. http://www.tacfireinc.com/5-8x24-308...de--p-711.html

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

Do you use a new crush washer each time you mount? They are a disposable one and done item.
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                    Do you use a new crush washer each time you mount? They are a disposable one and done item.
                    Stonehenge,

Are you talking to me, or Dt?

Comment

• Dt219
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2020

I do not use one at all. It goes on an I usually can get it back off with a little pressure.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

Sorry Klem, was Dt. I clicked on the link to the comp he is using and it shows a crush washer next to the comp.

Dt, for twenty bucks from a company in Chino, CA, I can guess where it is made......
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Dt219
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2020

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

It will when it heats up and gets hammered, unless you glue it, or use a positive pressure washer.

Comment

• Dt219
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2020

Are those cupped shaped?

Comment

• StoneHendge
                                Chieftain
                                • May 2016

To be honest, I don't know if it would help with a cheap knockoff. You get what you pay for....
                                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                                X