• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beerfix
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2017

Norma 201?

Anyone tried the 201 loads in the Hornady manual for a 123g? I have a couple of pounds of it thats been on my shelf for a while. Looks less than ideal, but a search didn't turn up much real world experience. BTW, I used the N201 for .223 plinking ammo with good success, since it used to be so cheap.
    Last edited by Beerfix; 03-05-2021, 10:55 PM.
  • Beerfix
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2017

No one?? really??? I guess I'll be the guinea pig. I'll load a few up of each from the Hornady 10th published data, and report back. No chrono, but groups should tell the story. If anyone has anything to add, I'm all ears.

Comment

• DCC83501
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2019

good luck. report back. I have 8 # keg of 202 on the way and interested how that experiment will work out.

Comment

• Beerfix
        Unwashed
        • Jan 2017

Loaded 6 rounds each of Norma 201. and shot 2 sets of 3 round groups. Results were good!

25.5 better ~ 1/2 MOA
        26.5 good ~ 1 MOA
        27.5 best ~ .3 MOA

Odin Works 20" barrel, Hornady once fired brass, shoulder bumped .003, BR4 primers, 123 ELDM.

All groups less than one MOA, best group was 27.5 grains, well less than 1/2 MOA.
        Chronograph is on my list, but the groups make me feel like this is a good powder to work with.
        Can't figure out how to attach pics, I'll work on it.
        Last edited by Beerfix; 03-12-2021, 05:16 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Beerfix View Post
          Loaded 6 rounds each of Norma 201. and shot 2 sets of 3 round groups. Results were good!

25.5 better ~ 1/2 MOA
          26.5 good ~ 1 MOA
          27.5 best ~ .3 MOA

Odin Works 20" barrel, Hornady once fired brass, shoulder bumped .003, BR4 primers, 123 ELDM.

All groups less than one MOA, best group was 27.5 grains, well less than 1/2 MOA.
          Chronograph is on my list, but the groups make me feel like this is a good powder to work with.
          Can't figure out how to attach pics, I'll work on it.
          What was the average velocity and sd/es numbers? Without those your in the dark.

Comment

• dr.dro
            Unwashed
            • Oct 2020

I'm really glad someone on here is trying out Norma in Grendel. They have load data for Creedmore and a lot of other calibers on their site but somehow they didn't try it in Grendel?? I was actually thinking about 202 or 203B but if you're having success with 201 I might give it a shot myself.

Keep up the good work, Beerfix!

Comment

• Kosh65
              Warrior
              • Jan 2021

Comment

• Oryx
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2021

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

The predicted vertical drop of a 123 Scenar at 2481 at a 3360 Density Altitude (the last DA in my app) at 800 yards is 222.6". At 2521 it's 214.2". That's an 8.4" difference or over an MOA. The mean of those is 2501. Add one to that sample at 2501 and the mean remains 2501 and the STD is 20 fps.

So a load with an STD of 20 that bugholes at 100 yards will be MOA+ at 800. It depends on your application.
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Beerfix
                    Unwashed
                    • Jan 2017

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm still new, and learning. I'm also curious about velocities, but until I get a chronograph we'll have to hope someone else will take that on. Now that I know it groups, I'll load up more to do some 10 rnd groups, and also take it out to 200 yards for next weeks range day. I also failed to mention, I loaded to magazine length, 2.250 COAL in my case has always worked well. No pressure signs on the cases, and I was still a few tenths under the published max. POI didn't change much either from my "Hornady Black zero".

Comment

• DCC83501
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2019

Great news! I picked up an 8# keg of 202 and am presently trying to figure out a good starting point for a 120-123 grain Grendel projectile.

Beerfix, you mentioned you are still "under the published max". What published information are you referring to?

Comment

• Beerfix
                        Unwashed
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by DCC83501 View Post
                        Great news! I picked up an 8# keg of 202 and am presently trying to figure out a good starting point for a 120-123 grain Grendel projectile.

Beerfix, you mentioned you are still "under the published max". What published information are you referring to?
                        The published data in the 10th edition Hornady reloading handbook for the 120-123g bullets.

Comment

• Beerfix
                          Unwashed
                          • Jan 2017

To be clear, I DID deviate from the published data, in that I used CCI BR4 primers, and not the WSR that were listed. Does anyone have an opinion on the difference that would make? I've interchanged the CCI 400, and BR4 based on availability when (bulk re)-loading .223/5.56 plinkers, with no noticeable difference, but I also wasn't paying as much attention to those as I am now, hand loading for the Grendel.
                          Last edited by Beerfix; 03-12-2021, 05:02 AM.

Comment

• mel
                            Chieftain
                            • Nov 2019

i also picked up a bunch of 202 it shipped today hopefully it works well

Comment

• Beerfix
                              Unwashed
                              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              i also picked up a bunch of 202 it shipped today hopefully it works well
                              Just curious, did you buy the 202 for Grendel loads, or others? I'd like to see some more love for the Norma here in the 6.5 world. 201's been my go-to-cheap-and-easy for .223 for years now, and I happen to have a bunch on the shelf. And now that I discovered good groups, I can afford to play around a little, maybe make it work. Time will tell.
                              Last edited by Beerfix; 03-12-2021, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X