• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Frogeye View Post
    Thanks, the ejector spring has an o-ring, before trimming the spring, I'll remove it and see what happens to the necks.

The dies are RCBS. But until I get more fired brass to measure I can't be sure it is the die lengthening the brass, it might be the chamber.
    Frog,

Leave the extractor and its O-ring alone. Just deal with the ejector for case dings. The ejector is a spring, plunger and the tiny pin that holds it in under tension. Be careful releasing that tension or the plunger will fly past you never to be found again (ask me how I know...).

Unsure how the chamber lengthens brass. It certainly permits brass to lengthen until it crimps into the bullets. My money is on the brass quality for the initial stretch.

Comment

• Old Bob
      Warrior
      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Klem View Post
      Frog,

Leave the extractor and its O-ring alone. Just deal with the ejector for case dings. The ejector is a spring, plunger and the tiny pin that holds it in under tension. Be careful releasing that tension or the plunger will fly past you never to be found again (ask me how I know...).

Unsure how the chamber lengthens brass. It certainly permits brass to lengthen until it crimps into the bullets. My money is on the brass quality for the initial stretch.
      This tool saves you from shooting ejector pins across your room never to be seen again.

Brownells has a few different varieties of this tool. This is the one I use...
      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
        This tool saves you from shooting ejector pins across your room never to be seen again.

Brownells has a few different varieties of this tool. This is the one I use...
        I now use the bottom of an old case in a vise. Hacksaw it off and use that to compress the ejector. Unscrew it slowly and no annoying sproing!

Comment

• grendelnubi
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

In my experience I was having dented necks during extraction and corrected this with opening my gas block a half turn.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Frogeye
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2022

Thanks for catching my mistake, ejector vs extractor. I'll get to fire a few rounds this weekend. Then I can see if the excessive case length growth is coming from firing or sizing. Several 1.534 and close to that measurement.

Would it take opening the gas block or closing to help with the dents?

I'll come back to this thread later with more info.

Comment

• myrifle
                Warrior
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Frogeye View Post
                Thanks for catching my mistake, ejector vs extractor. I'll get to fire a few rounds this weekend. Then I can see if the excessive case length growth is coming from firing or sizing. Several 1.534 and close to that measurement.

Would it take opening the gas block or closing to help with the dents?

I'll come back to this thread later with more info.
                If it's to much gas you close the block to reduce it.

But it could be the ejector spring is too strong. I forgot about that in my other post. Been out the loop for a bit.

A5 out.

Comment

Working...
                X