• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIANEB
    Warrior
    • Oct 2020

Originally posted by SCJim View Post
    what runout gage are you using . The Hornady which holds the bullet between the case head and the meplat, or the Sinclair/Redding/Accuracy 1 style which has the case riding on 2 rollers. I have noticed that with the Hornady with gas rifle ammo the case head can get tweaked a bit and show runout and when the case round is checked on one of the others the runout goes away. Case head tweaking can open up an entirely new can of worms based on a old US Army study that found that cases the were repeatedly fired from a Garrand and reloaded had reduced accuracy when the case heads became "tweaked"

I have the Sinclair and I'm shooting these in a bolt gun
    ..The runout on the 20 I just loaded is 1/1000 to 1.5/1000...
    The ammo I loaded with the RCBS dies the runout is higher 3 to 4/1000...
    Last edited by DIANEB; 10-08-2022, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• DeNinny
      Warrior
      • Sep 2022

Originally posted by DIANEB View Post
      I have the Sinclair and I'm shooting these in a bolt gun
      ..The runout on the 20 I just loaded is 1/1000 to 1.5/1000...
      The ammo I loaded with the RCBS dies the runout is higher 3 to 4/1000...
      Just curious...does that difference in runout affect your groups?

Comment

• DIANEB
        Warrior
        • Oct 2020

Originally posted by DeNinny View Post
        Just curious...does that difference in runout affect your groups?

Won't know until I get to the range...
        It's the first time using the Forester seating die...
        I'll post results as soon as I go. .

Comment

• DeNinny
          Warrior
          • Sep 2022

Won't know until I get to the range...
          It's the first time using the Forester seating die...
          I'll post results as soon as I go. .
          I was thinking that the sizing die could also be at play. Did you size both with your Mighty Armory one?

Comment

• DIANEB
            Warrior
            • Oct 2020

I was thinking that the sizing die could also be at play. Did you size both with your Mighty Armory one?
            The 20 I loaded today were sized with the Mighty Armory die... I sized all my brass with it today I also checked all in my Wilson case checking gouge and all fit perfectly...

Comment

• DeNinny
              Warrior
              • Sep 2022

The 20 I loaded today were sized with the Mighty Armory die...
              But did you also use the Mighty Armory sizing die with the rounds seated with your RCBS seating die?

I am thinking that sizing die matters more than seating die with respect to runout. I get that the seating die could seat a bullet at an angle (maybe?), but I could also see that a sizing die could offset the mouth itself relative to the base to cause the runout.

Comment

• DIANEB
                Warrior
                • Oct 2020

But did you also use the Mighty Armory sizing die with the rounds seated with your RCBS seating die?

I am thinking that sizing die matters more than seating die with respect to runout. I get that the seating die could seat a bullet at an angle (maybe?), but I could also see that a sizing die could offset the mouth itself relative to the base to cause the runout.
                The rounds seated with the RCBS die were the ones off by 3 to 4/1000... The Forester die has a spring loaded sleeve that covers the entire case and everything in line when seating the bullet... So would say the RCBS seating die was the problem, at least mine is...

Comment

• DeNinny
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2022

The rounds seated with the RCBS die were the ones off by 3 to 4/1000... The Forester die has a spring loaded sleeve that covers the entire case and everything in line when seating the bullet... So would say the RCBS seating die was the problem, at least mine is...
                  Makes sense. When you said you loaded twenty I misread that they were all seated with your new Forster only. Thanks.

Well now I'm really curious. I am sizing with a Forster die and seating with a Lee die which has a free floating sleeve.

Comment

Working...
                  X