X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FBOldCrow
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2023

FWIW Bruno's have the Large rifle military primers in stock and offer no hazmat fee fee at least for today over $300 in shipping. But don't know if they have the smaller rifle ones. I was lucky to find 3k plus of the Federal Gold Match AR Small Rifle primers during the great pandemic. But even with the CCI's I have never had a misfire for me, just lucky for once? But I'm not one for Brrrrrrp. Except with Wolf ammo.
    Live life to the fullest.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

I would probably just shoot them in the cold weather months, where chances of slam-fire are reduced even further.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 603Country
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2023

Comment

• Bob R
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2023

I have owned AR15's since the early 1980's. I have shots lots of reloads with regular small rifle primers. I have read about the possibility of a slam fire, but I have never had an AR slam fire, or been around anyone who has had it happen. It could happen, but it is not something that I worry about.

Bob R

Comment

• Mark611
            Warrior
            • Feb 2017

I'll throw 2ct in this 1, If it's luck? don't know? I have ran Winchester standard small and large primers in my AR's and M1A1/M14 and have never had a problem, but I do make sure I seat them at least 4k into the pocket, the question about reusing primers I've done it without issue. they go bang every time! but if I have to remove a primer it was probably due to a sizing issue of the brass, and I gently remove them. also, in regard to using standard primers, I have loaded rounds at the range and then removed them to check to see if the primers are being hit by the firing pin and if so, how much? most of any primer strikes I've ever seen from a gas gun were not enough to set the primer off, even loading a single round and pulling the bolt carrier all the way back and letting it fly home, even on my M14 308win, with Winchester LRP, I would probably not use a softer primer then the Winchesters in autoloaders and make sure their seated at least 4k into the pocket! JMO.

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bob R View Post
              I have owned AR15's since the early 1980's. I have shots lots of reloads with regular small rifle primers. I have read about the possibility of a slam fire, but I have never had an AR slam fire, or been around anyone who has had it happen. It could happen, but it is not something that I worry about.

Bob R
              Has happened to me with AR's and I have witnessed it on the firing line in HP matches. These were the earlier days of the AR being a serious contender in High Power. Guys used to load them with the barrel pointing down on their shooting stool and let the bolt drop. Have seen them go off and blow a hole through the shooting stool and into the ground. Thankfully, rules changed about loading the rifle to having it pointed down range and parallel to the ground.

Have had one or two with the M-1A as well and have seen them with the Garand. Most likely the primer was seated a but long. Don't really know. Wasn't the firing pins though.

I personally won't use anything but a thicker primer for the AR's. For the M-14 I used the Federal Match primers. Never a problem with them.

LR55

Comment

• TedBrewer5
                Warrior
                • Dec 2019

Comment

• SDW
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2018

Thanks all. Since I have over 1500 of the #400 primers in my inventory with nothing else to use them in, I'll just keep using them with a little extra caution. I originally bought 2K of them, which means I've fired a few hundred so far out of one AR or another. No issues yet.

Comment

• AK_Reloader
                    Unwashed
                    • Jun 2021

Any AR platform will allow the firing pin to hit the primer upon chambering a round & leave a witness mark on the primer, since the platforms do NOT have a firing pin rebound spring in the design.
                    It is not a primer selection/choice issue
                    ArmaLite AR-10's have a firing pin rebound spring incorporated in the design to prevent the issue.

I've run 10's of thousands of Federal 210's thru M1A's,M1Garands,AR chamberings,Bolt rifles shooting NRA OTC & LR Comps w/o a single primer issue.

Comment

• SDW
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2018

Originally posted by AK_Reloader View Post
                      Any AR platform will allow the firing pin to hit the primer upon chambering a round & leave a witness mark on the primer, since the platforms do NOT have a firing pin rebound spring in the design.
                      It is not a primer selection/choice issue
                      ArmaLite AR-10's have a firing pin rebound spring incorporated in the design to prevent the issue.

I've run 10's of thousands of Federal 210's thru M1A's,M1Garands,AR chamberings, Bolt rifles shooting NRA OTC & LR Comps w/o a single primer issue.
                      I think the idea is, and this is probably obvious, some primers withstand that 'tap' better than others due to their cup thickness, and not go bang unintendedly. I guess in theory, anything with a 0.025" cup thickness can handle many repeated FP taps without any kind of worry.

I also read that if switching to CCI-400 primers from say, WSR primers, you should reduced the load a little. Interesting.

I don't know if it's just internet rumor, but supposedly (i.e., I'd read somewhere) that CCI does not recommend the #400s be used in an AR-15. Use them only in bolt guns, M1 Carbine, .22 Hornet, and so on. Having said that, I'm the OP here and I've fired at least a couple hundred #400 primed rounds so far and not had a problem. But I also don't make a habit of chambering and ejecting ammunition, then using it later. Once it's in the chamber, I use it.

Comment

• Mark611
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2017

SDW, I have also seen the same type of info on the CCI 400 primers, I think its mainly has to do with pressures, correct me if I'm wrong, I have as I have said never had a problem with the Winchester standard small or large primers in any of my gas guns, but I will say I have switched to the #41's in my AR's only because I bought 15k of them, I'm going to continue to use the WLR in my M1A1 308win, IMO if you seat them correctly you shouldn't have a problem, JMO

Comment

Working...
                        X