X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeneffect
    Chieftain
    • May 2020

I didn't mention earlier, it's par for the course with powershell scripts.

I suppose it should be in notes somewhere but the way I see it is, it sets a bar of competency and lowers the amount of questions and repetitive troubleshooting on my end.

I can also sign the script bit we would still need to fiddle with the executionpolicy anyways so I don't see the point. It's all plain text, no secrets or voodoo.

If you want to setup a zoom call or something, I'm available in about 30 min. Just pm me and I can send a link + step through the code with you.
    Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-18-2024, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• SDW
      Warrior
      • Jul 2018

This is a little new to me. I've run scripts and batch files, and Bash shell scripts back in the day. But not PowerShell on my own machine, as opposed to a work machine. This is more my wife's wheelhouse. She's a senior SW quality engineer at her company.

Problem with setting the bar for competency is that most people don't know how incompetent they are. LOL They will follow your basic instructions, hit a wall like I did, and then bug you about it. This is where I'd come in. I've written lots of reqs, test procedures, API documentation, and user guides. With writing guides, one of the cardinal rules is, do it well enough that the user doesn't need to reach out to customer service for help in how to use the SW. AKA keep the phones from ringing, so to speak.

I think the instructions might warrant some kind of brief heads up about execution policies. Maybe reference a short appendix of some sort. But it's your call. I'm sure you don't want to make this into a huge deal. With legal disclaimers and yadda yadda LOL Actually, "Use at your own risk" might not be a terrible idea. CMA

We could do a zoom call at some point. It'd be a good idea. I did start a Word doc to cover this stuff. Mostly for fun, just because I like doing it. Probably the same reason you developed this script package.

Comment

• Zeneffect
        Chieftain
        • May 2020

updated the readme in github. Well, does it work for you? LMK if you need a couple of .fit files to play with.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

If it has an .exe extension, or other executable extension, you should be able to right click on the file in file explorer, and get the properties window to come up. Down toward the bottom is a place where you can "unblock" the file. Hit apply, then close, and try to run it then. This is a common thing for most Windows nowadays to set any executable to block from running. I don't know if power shell falls into this category but if nothing else works, it is worth a try.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• SDW
            Warrior
            • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
            updated the readme in github. Well, does it work for you? LMK if you need a couple of .fit files to play with.
            Thanks. I'll check it out.

And yes, I could use a couple of .fit files. my Xero's Results folder is empty and I don't have a nerf gun to generate shots.

Comment

• Zeneffect
              Chieftain
              • May 2020

A rubber band is more reliable than a nerf gun with this chrono.

It was raining, I had a new toy, what else was I gonna do?

PM sent with link.

I dont like the idea of an exe for homebrew stuff as the code isnt exposed and easily modifiable, and you arent exactly sure what its doing. With a powershell script you can change it with just notepad, nothing is packaged up or encrypted, its wide open for all to see exactly what its doing and how. by being 100% transparent it should be more trustworthy as it can be peer reviewed at any time.

Want to change the measurement value? Notepad, find + replace 304.79999025 with whatever new value, save, and you are done.

BUT since an EXE IS much easier to use... I just converted it to an exe. uploading to google drive now.
              Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-19-2024, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                Chieftain
                • May 2020

ok NOW its just an application that still needs the directory structure behind it.

download folder, run the exe. I realized i created folders, but when it downloads since they are empty they werent included. I added stub.txt files to ensure the folders stick.

exe works as tested from a fresh download.

updated usage video

Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-19-2024, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2020

and i updated again. included delta from average and delta from last shot information. I need to add a prompt for bullet weight in grains to do a calculation for energy... then i will have all the features i want.

*edit*

reviewing the data.. i got my delta math bakkards. crap... fixing.

and fixed.

*edit edit*

bullet weight is entered with a decimal point yea? I think i see the field so i can extract and do an energy calculation, and list bullet weight from the session data. going to have every feature from the app.

once im satisfied with the output and features, ill move onto building in failsafe to prevent user induced failure (you didnt name your session, or you failed to select files!)
                  Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-19-2024, 02:17 AM.

Comment

• SDW
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                    A rubber band is more reliable than a nerf gun with this chrono.

It was raining, I had a new toy, what else was I gonna do?
                    That's funny, I considered using a rubber band; didn't think they'd go fast enough, far enough though. I did have fun with rubber bands once, back when I got my first chronograph, a Caldwell, shooting them through the two hoops.

I'm pretty far along on the PowerShell version of the doc. Since you have a .exe now, I'll just clone this doc and update the new one to show the new procedures.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2020

well as far as the .exe version, i hope its dumbed down enough to click a few things and it works.

updated it again, and it looks like im nearing 100% complete on it. just need to add the fail safes for bad user input

Now added bullet weight retrieved from the file (if it was entered during the session start) and FPE calculation to each shot.

*edit*

added blank session name catch so it will still process and name it similar to the fit file
                      Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-19-2024, 07:10 AM.

Comment

• Steve Matthew
                        Unwashed
                        • Dec 2023

Originally posted by jasper2408 View Post
                        I just checked on the Garmin website and it says that the Shotview app only works on iPhone and Android phones.

What I use is my old iphone 12 mini phone that has no cellular service enabled as I replaced it with a newer model. I connect this phone to my home wifi to download the program then all I need is Bluetooth at the range to connect to the chrono. Once I get home then I use my wifi to export the sessions by email to my laptop. I also let the phone update when it is using the wifi signal at home before I take the chrono out to the range.

Hope that made sense.
                        Thanks for sharing your setup! Using an old iPhone with WiFi for Shotview app at the range and WiFi at home for updates and exporting sessions sounds like a smart workaround.

Comment

• jasper2408
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Steve Matthew View Post
                          Thanks for sharing your setup! Using an old iPhone with WiFi for Shotview app at the range and WiFi at home for updates and exporting sessions sounds like a smart workaround.
                          I have changed the way I handle my session files since this post. The wifi part is the same but the way I export the files has changed. I export them to my iCloud on the phone and I set up iCloud access on my Win10 pc so once I put them in the iCloud using my phone then I can access them all using my iCloud icon on my pc. They are converted to .csv files once I export them. I will probably switch to Zeneffect's script once I get some files to mess with and it is too cold for this old man at the moment to be out in 0 degree weather just to get some session files.
                          Last edited by jasper2408; 01-19-2024, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2020

I'll be making another update today so the csv output is closer to the app csv in appearance
                            I'll still include more data however

*edit*

updated, grab latest version from google drive or git. CSV output matches very close to the phonr app..

The phone app will ask for additional information that isn't stored on the device like notes. You can add notes whenever to the csv or txt.
                            Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-19-2024, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• Popeye212
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2018

You guys sucked me in again just ordered one from Scheels

Comment

• jasper2408
                                Warrior
                                • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
                                You guys sucked me in again just ordered one from Scheels
                                If you ain't poor then you ain't got enough guns and gun related toys!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X