• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasper2408
    Warrior
    • Jan 2019

Garmin Xero C1 Pro chrono

I went out to test the Garmin chrono today just to see how it would perform and how easy it was to setup/save/export sessions. You have to set up an account with Garmin when you install the app on your phone and then try to use it to connect to the chrono the first time. I just leave the app logged in after that and it will automatically connect when the app is opened and they are both turned on. It will update for about 5-10 minutes the first time and after that it will update on each new startup by itself. The phone app updated to 3.06 the first time and it is on 3.11 version now. The other updates were instant.

I took a couple of auto pistols that I wanted to test ammo for reliable cycling to see how the chrono would perform.

I shot 2 groups each of .380 and 9mm. On the first session I shot over the top of the chrono like it says to do with pistols and then on the 2nd session of each caliber I shot to the side of the chrono like I was shooting a rifle. I was intentionally trying to get the chrono to screw up and miss shots on the second group of each session. It didn't miss any shots.

You have to export each session separately as it doesn't list all of the sessions in one file like Magnetospeed or Labradar. It will let you rename each session using the phone(which does not transfer with the file but stays on the phone) and add notes with the phone(which does stay with the session .csv file when you export). You cannot name any files using the chrono as it doesn't have a built-in keyboard. You also do not have to have the chrono turned on to access the session files from your phone. When you end a session the phone automatically updates with the new completed session and then you can go in and rename the title and add notes. I use an iPhone so I do not know how an Android phone will be.

It performed so good and was so easy to set up that it is boring. It just works correctly. It did not hesitate once to pick up a shot. You just plop it down toward the target, setup your session then start shooting. It did not miss any shots(or have weird high or low velocities) or do anything stupid to try and piss me off so it is a keeper. I like the white background better as I can see it better.

If you want to see what the menus look like here is the Garmin page. Just scroll down to see the different pages.

Edit: One thing that you can't do is setup/start a new session from the phone. That is one thing I wish that you could do.
    Last edited by jasper2408; 11-02-2023, 12:05 AM.
  • Timitus
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2022

Thanks for the update. It looks like a great option for loaders. It looks like a much quicker setup then a standard chrono.

Comment

• Old Bob
      Warrior
      • Oct 2019

Do you absolutely need a smart phone for the Xero app? Can you do it with a lap top? My phone is a flip phone.
      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• jasper2408
        Warrior
        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
        Do you absolutely need a smart phone for the Xero app? Can you do it with a lap top? My phone is a flip phone.
        I just checked on the Garmin website and it says that the Shotview app only works on iPhone and Android phones.

What I use is my old iphone 12 mini phone that has no cellular service enabled as I replaced it with a newer model. I connect this phone to my home wifi to download the program then all I need is Bluetooth at the range to connect to the chrono. Once I get home then I use my wifi to export the sessions by email to my laptop. I also let the phone update when it is using the wifi signal at home before I take the chrono out to the range.

Hope that made sense.
        Last edited by jasper2408; 10-28-2023, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• Old Bob
          Warrior
          • Oct 2019

Originally posted by jasper2408 View Post
          I just checked on the Garmin website and it says that the Shotview app only works on iPhone and Android phones.
          Thanks Jasper. Been trying to avoid getting a smart phone but this new-fangled chronogrph sure is tempting. Might begrudgingly have to upgrade my cell phone. I hate tech stuff. Had to work with it for over 40 years. I like things, "simple!"

Comment

• jasper2408
            Warrior
            • Jan 2019

I did see that some people on one of the forums was not able to download the program to his phone. Said that they told him that it would not work on Android Lite. I could not download the program to my old Android 7 phones that I had when I was with Net10. I am guessing Android Lite is the OS that is on those phones.

I have had no trouble with any of my iPhones.

Last edited by jasper2408; 10-28-2023, 01:40 AM.

Comment

• Old Bob
              Warrior
              • Oct 2019

I did see that some people on one of the forums was not able to download the program to his phone. Said that they told him that it would not work on Android Lite. I could not download the program to my old Android 7 phones that I had when I was with Net10. I am guessing Android Lite is the OS that is on those phones.

I have had no trouble with any of my iPhones.
              Can it be downloaded to the full version of Android?

Comment

• jasper2408
                Warrior
                • Jan 2019

Can it be downloaded to the full version of Android?
                To be honest with you, I have never heard of Android Lite. I think that the version that that person had was below the version that is supported by Garmin, which is version 10 or higher. On my version 7 Android phones when I search for the app it says at the top of the final search results that ShotView app will not work on my phone.

I don't know what the latest version of Android is now as I use iPhones and have version 17.1. Any Android phone with version 10 OS or higher should work in my opinion.

Comment

• SDW
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2018

It performed so good and was so easy to set up that it is boring.
                  Forget it then. It's not for me.

Ha ha. I'll definitely be getting one of these. Would be nice if you could download the data to the phone from a command sent by the phone. But at least this chrono operates from within arm's reach anyway, give or take a few inches.
                  Last edited by SDW; 10-28-2023, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• SDW
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2018

Thanks Jasper. Been trying to avoid getting a smart phone but this new-fangled chronogrph sure is tempting. Might begrudgingly have to upgrade my cell phone. I hate tech stuff. Had to work with it for over 40 years. I like things, "simple!"
                    There are tons of Androids and iPhones for sale on ebay. Cheap pricing for the used ones. Like under $40 typically. Maybe something like this used, unlocked iPhone SE for $29?

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Apple iPhone SE 2nd Gen 4.7" 64GB 4G LTE CDMA GSM Unlocked Black MHG43LL/A A2275 at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Tons of used Androids as well on ebay. I am no expert on cellphone stuff, so do your own research on what's actually compatible, what can be updated to iOS 15 or higher, System 10 or higher, etc., without having to subscribe and actually enable phone capability, which sounds like you don't actually need (just Bluetooth ability).

But this is basically the phone I use. I'm at iOS 15.8 now, so I'm sure the Garmin will work with my phone. Same with my iPad.

Comment

• mtnlvr
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2019

You can use the chrono standalone though, right? Just not with the extra stuff that the app gets you? Or is this wrong?

Comment

• jasper2408
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by mtnlvr View Post
                        You can use the chrono standalone though, right? Just not with the extra stuff that the app gets you? Or is this wrong?
                        You are correct. The chrono works without anything else. On the chrono you can setup/save/delete sessions, save/delete shots, and view all of the data.

You do need the phone app to save the session files to your pc.

Edit: I corrected this post as you can use the Garmin Express app to update the software on the chrono.
                        Last edited by jasper2408; 10-29-2023, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• jasper2408
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2019

Ok I discovered that there is an app that you can install from Garmin called Garmin Express.

This app is installed on your pc, either Windows or Mac, and will update the software on your chrono by using the USB cable that comes with the unit. The app does not enable you to download any files from the chrono to your pc.

When you first start the program it will ask you to setup an account with Garmin, which is the same as the phone app, and this will register your unit with Garmin.

If you stay logged in, on the software on your pc, then when you plug in your chrono with the USB cable to your pc it will automatically detect it and update it and charge the unit.

Sorry that I keep adding stuff but I am also new to this unit.
                          Last edited by jasper2408; 10-29-2023, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• jasper2408
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2019

Here is a very informative podcast about the Garmin chrono put out on 10/26/23 that has Greg Glass from Garmin and Francis Colon from Applied Ballistics. Go to about the 7 minute mark where they actually start talking about the unit and how it was tested. It is well worth the time listening to it. Has a lot of good info about the chrono and its realistic capabilities.

Listen to this episode from The Shooter's Mindset on Spotify. Jen, Greg, and Cory chat with Greg Glass of Garmin, and Francis Colon of Applied Ballistics about the newest hot piece of tech in the precision rifle world, the Garmin XERO C1 PRO Chronograph!

Comment

• CJW
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2019

Thanks for the post Jasper.

Comment

Working...
                              X