Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

It is the 120 SMK, not the pro hunter.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grendelnubi
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

V4, just for giggles, load up the 123 SST at the factory 2.245, 30 grains of CFE223 and see if it shoots. I believe it will shoot better than factory....

Comment

• v4lu3s
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2023

Originally posted by grendelnubi View Post
        V4, just for giggles, load up the 123 SST at the factory 2.245, 30 grains of CFE223 and see if it shoots. I believe it will shoot better than factory....
        I hope so. I will give it a try, unfortunately my range is closed for a 2 day event and I wont be able to get back there until Monday. I will also have a .000 capable caliper by then as well!

Comment

• v4lu3s
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2023

Originally posted by grayfox View Post

3. For SST and sometimes Eldm, best lengths I have found are typically somewhere 2.245-2.265 (they don't mind the jump), so while your OAL is close to that, have you tried varying the OAL at 31.0 grs to see how the grouping responds. I do groups differing by 0.010 to see any discernable improvement/worsening, to settle on an OAL.

Using the Hornady gauge and bullet comparator tool, from base of cartridge to lands my barrel is 1.71", The ELD-M is 1.67" to ogive and the Frontier is 1.64" to ogive. So I am looking at 0.040" jump with factory loaded ELD-M/SST, 0.070" of jump on the Frontier, and 0.010" jump from my loads.

Comment

• v4lu3s
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2023

I just found a Wilson Combat barrel, 20 inch, fluted, for $240...so tempting.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by v4lu3s View Post
              I cannot disagree with you on that. It is frustrating though as I have barrels from Faxon, Wilson Arms, Ballistic Advantage, Anderson, APF, Trybe Defense ($190 upper that puts 7.62x39 handloads through the same hole and WWB in a 1.5 in group!) that all shoot at least 1 if not more loads into 1 inch or better groupings. I know Odin Works is a still a mid market rack barrel, but i had always regarded them as a step up. I have sold off Bear Creek barrels, as well as PSA barrels for only shooting 2 inch groups lol

btw is that sierra 120 a match bullet or the SP pro hunter?
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• v4lu3s
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2023

I am very hesitant to lap or bed with a receiver that I had to heat to get the barrel to fit, most of the grease I put on the extension was squeezed out it was so tight and there is not removing the barrel without a heat gun, a wooden dowel and a deadblow hammer. I was told by SOLGW that the tight fight and use of a heat gun to fit the barrel was done for a snugger fit and more likely accurate rifle. If it was an Anderson, or Aero upper receiver I would go to it without a second thought. I will contact SOLGW to get their input before it mess with that fit, but honestly I am more likely to buy a new barrel.

Comment

Working...
                X