• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Restomod View Post
    Okay the premise of this thread was to provide a good starting place for reloading 6.5 Grendel - i.e.- bullet mfr. & weights, type of powder & grains, primers, etc.
    There are now 25 pages of (excellent) info, but it is still 25 pages of varying info.
    Can someone please give me a good starting point for a 20" Noveske barrel on an Aero AR platform?

Thanks in advance.
    Have you looked at the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook or in Ammoguide.com?

The handbook has a goodly number of loads and very good advice in load development plus good discussions about hownand why the Grendel was developed. It also explains why the Grendel is an excellent hunting cartridge.

Ammoguide.com has close to 700 loads with a wide assortment of powder and bullets in a variety of barrel lengths.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• cwlongshot
      Warrior
      • Mar 2018

Resto,

Please don't take offense here....

But if you cannot ascertain a good starting point with information provided. Please do yourself and loved ones a favor and step away from the loading bench and do some More reading!!!

Every gun is DIFFERENT!! EVERY AMMO MANUAL provides starting loads! If its not a listed combo at your level of obvious experience you should NOT BE USING IT.

Reloading is a fun and rewarding experience but can be very dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced. Please step back re group and start again.

CW

Comment

• Lemonaid
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

Restomod, One reason there are so many different favorite loads is that there are many different purposes for those loads.
        To help you out, you need to specify what purpose you load is for, target, big game hunting, Varmint hunting, self/home defense, long range steel targets, reduced recoil loads, etc.
        Each category will have some bullets that are suited for them at different weights, 60 grain to 130 grain for the most part and they will have a preferred powder for it. (faster burn rate for the lighter bullets, slower for the heavies in general.).
        This thread might have been better if it had from the start been broken down into sub categories.

Comment

• Restomod
          Unwashed
          • Apr 2021

Thanks JA & Lemonaid for the info.
          The first page of this thread noted the desire for a round that would work in everyone's rifle.
          I just wanted a safe middle of the road starting point recommendation.
          I'm not looking for the hottest load or most exotic bullets. Lets face it, there is not that much variety available.
          I enjoy target shooting out to about 500 yds., with an occasional hog hunt.
          Again, if anyone would like to offer suggestions for a 20" Noveske barrel on an Aero AR platform, it woulds still be appreciated.
          I agree it would have been great if the thread had been broken into sub-categories, such as target, big game hunting, varmint hunting, long range steel targets, reduced recoil loads, etc.
          Twenty five pages of differing opinions, is a bit overwhelming.
          I am going to subscribe Ammoguide.

Comment

• Lemonaid
            Warrior
            • Feb 2019

There is a pretty good consensus that many have good results with the 120 grain bullets from Sierra. I would try the Sierra 120 Pro hunter with a powder like AR-Comp, CFE 223, Tac, Lever, or RL-15, using a primer like CCI 450. The seating depth of the bullet depends on your barrel, be sure to check that the over all length will not be jamming the bullet into the lands.
            There are various on line load data sources you can check for a middle powder charge, like Hodgdon. https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ or Sierra https://sierrabullets.files.wordpres...ata-112817.pdf
            Use the search function on the site with Pro-Hunter for members results with their Grendels.

Comment

• zovolun
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2020

Hornady 160 gr Lovex D073.6 OAL 57,4mm Starline20210416_172601 (640x384).jpg

Comment

• zovolun
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2020

1,67 gram a 1,7 20210429_200846 (640x384).jpggram

Comment

• mtnlvr
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by zovolun View Post
                  1,67 gram a 1,7 [ATTACH=CONFIG]17793[/ATTACH]gram
                  What velocities were you getting? And were those 100m groups?

Comment

• zovolun
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2020

Comment

• mdram
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2016

not the best, but i will take it
                      10 rounds 107tmk over 27.7 8208 @ 2550fps
                      107.PNG
                      just some targets for printing
                      https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Leethal25
                        Unwashed
                        • Apr 2021

Hey all you Grendel loaders have any of you tried the berger 130 gr. OTM and what did you load it with just curious if any of you have tried and how did it do?

Comment

• biodsl
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2011

Welcome to the forum.

Has anyone tried this bullet yet? Right now it is hard to find but is available from Berger who just recently been released it. 6.5 MM 130 GR AR HYBRID TACTICAL Part number: 26195 Retail Price: $52.80 - G7 BC .288 - G1 BC .569 Twist Rate 1-9” or faster Part of an email with Berger Tech Support

I recently decided to check out this new(ish) Berger, since it was both a heavier pill than any other I've fed my rifles, and was specifically designed with the AR (magazines) in mind. First Impressions: These new Berger 130 Hybrids are actually quite remarkable. One of the horde members asked me if I would be meplating or
                          Last edited by biodsl; 05-04-2021, 12:12 AM.
                          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Worstletter
                            Unwashed
                            • Jan 2021

25.4 gr of CFE BLK and Hornady 120gr ELD with a COAL of 2.230. Velocity between 2450 and 2490 fps.

Comment

• GregP42
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Worstletter View Post
                              25.4 gr of CFE BLK and Hornady 120gr ELD with a COAL of 2.230. Velocity between 2450 and 2490 fps.
                              Do you mean cfe 223 maybe? I haven't seen anyone use cfeblk in the Grendel before.

Comment

• Worstletter
                                Unwashed
                                • Jan 2021

No CFE BLK. I use CFE 223 in my 69gr SMK loads.
                                If you are going to attempt this. Be careful. Since the case capacity is only 80%. 21-22gr is a start. It's fast and there's pressure at around 24.5gr in my AR. 25.4gr in my Howa and I have a stiff bolt lift. #450 primers as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X