Volume 2 - 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by poli View Post
    Could I also get the electronic versions (i.e. pdf) with the hard copies? I'd like to keep them on my iPad together with some of my other reloading material.
    We are still working out when and how to do this right.

Comment

• Where my maternal line comes from, they've been killing Moose since the late 1800's with 6.5x55 with actions that were limited to much less pressure than a Grendel can handle. Distances are usually close because of the densely forested terrain.

If you read the introduction, which is written by an experienced Alaskan hunting guide, Grand Slam Hunter, Distinguished Marksman, and fellow forum member Bob Stokes, he says on page xii: ...it is powerful enough to cleanly take game up to large deer, and with proper judgment and skill, it will take elk and moose.

Have to agree! Was reading in a gun mag. a while back and they were talking about a survey that was taken in a Western State back in the 1920's and it was about cartridge's that were used to take Elk. More Elk were taken with 30-30's and some mediocre Savage rounds than with 30-06's and other higher powered rounds. The lesser powered rounds may not do as much damage, but it comes down to shot placement.......
      Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2014, 12:33 AM. Reason: quotes

Comment

• I just ordered volumes I & II....Looks pretty interesting. I been reading on this forum for some time and found a lot of good information.
        I made my first post above and screwed it up and left the quote out. When back and cut a paste....lol.....

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

No worries! Nobody was maimed. : )

Welcome to the hoarde sir (or ma'am lol )!

Comment

• rickOshay
            Warrior
            • Apr 2012

Welcome to the Horde Fergie and thanks for the posts.

Indeed - the World Record moose was taken with a .303 British. Of course, it was from only 35 yards. But it points out that a big part of hunting success is based on shot placement and hunting technique. Too many "keyboard hunters" focus only on caliber and velocity.

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by rickOshay View Post
              Welcome to the Horde Fergie and thanks for the posts.

Indeed - the World Record moose was taken with a .303 British. Of course, it was from only 35 yards. But it points out that a big part of hunting success is based on shot placement and hunting technique. Too many "keyboard hunters" focus only on caliber and velocity.
              +1
              It never ceases to amuse me when you see someone railing against first hand field reports of successful hunts because something they read or calculated disagrees with those real world experiences. There has never been a shortage of armchair quarterbacks or, as you say, "keyboard hunters". I can't count the number of times I've heard it said that Quick Load, as good as it is, is not a substitute for actual range data, so it should come as no surprise, to some, that their numbers may not accurately reflect reality.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Bella Twin, an Indian girl, and her friend Dave Auger were hunting grouse near Lesser Slave Lake in northern Alberta. The only gun they had was Bella’s single-shot bolt-action .22 Rimfire rifle. They were walking a cutline that had been made for oil exploration when they saw a large grizzly following the same survey line toward them. If they ran, the bear would probably notice them and might chase, so they quietly sat down on a brush pile and hoped that the bear would pass by without trouble. But the bear came much too close, and when the big boar was only a few yards away, Bella Twin shot him in the side of the head with a .22 Long cartridge. The bear dropped, kicked and then lay still. Taking no chances, Bella went up close and fired all of the cartridges she had, seven or eight .22 Longs, into the bear’s head. That bear, killed in 1953, was the world-record grizzly for several years and is still high in the records today.

This is a true story but I wouldn't recommend using a 22 for hunting dangerous game. Penetration, proper range for the bullet being used and shot placement is what counts when hunting in my experience. The 22 Hornet was a popular round for native Alaskans to hunt all game with for years but they had the skill to be successful. The key word is skill! No caliber will compensate for lack of skill.

Comment

• rebelsoul
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2014

I ordered the combo Vol. I & II Reloading Handbooks late tuesday night; Post Office Barbie dropped them of at my shop saturday morning. I scanned Vol II briefly and it appears to have all the data I need for the Hornady 123sst. I'll have to get cory to help me with the big werds.
                  "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• Torf
                    Unwashed
                    • Feb 2014

Received my Vol 1 & 2 weeks ago, but I am newly approved to post and wanted to express my gratitude to the authors. When Vol 3 comes out, shut up and take my money!

Comment

• Thanks for the kind words folks. Has anyone had problems with damaged books? I've had one complaint stating that the handbooks were dog-eared and folded in half after being sent Priority Flat Rate (the shipping method we use for the combo deals of Vol I & II).

On the way up to BoomerShoot, I was pulled over by a Sheriff Deputy in a rural county in ID, going 75 with the flow of traffic, apparently in a 65mph zone. I pulled off onto a well paved stop on the side of the highway, giving the officer plenty of room to park offset without exposing himself to traffic, rolled down my windows, turned off the ignition, and put my hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel. As he approached, he started to slow his pace, the contents of my vehicle becoming more and more visible to him. I could imagine his eyes opening, even though he was wearing sunglasses.

"License, registration, and insurance. Do you have any weapons in the vehicle?"

Me: "Quite a few, actually. I have a pistol right here, one right there, and at least 3 rifles in the back." I told him what I was doing (headed up to BoomerShoot for the Precision Rifle Clinic), where it was located, and explained that I was going to slowly reach for the glove compartment to retrieve the registration and insurance, then slowly remove my wallet from my pants. I told him that BoomerShoot was an annual event I have been supporting since 2010, and that we shoot recreational explosives from 400-700yds for 3 days, all with approval from the relevant agencies and red tape.

He went back to his SUV, ran my ID and plates for any hits, then came back without his citation book. He said every patrol vehicle should have a carbine and a long gun, since they have very ling distanced in this part of the Country. I said, "What if I told you that there is a way to have both?" We started talking guns, and soon I was out of the vehicle showing him several 6.5 Grendel's, the cartridge itself, when he mentioned he's a reloader as well. We spent about 45 minutes to an hour conversing LE applications of the Grendel, and he ended up with Volume I & II. Best speed trap I've ever been through.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2012

LOL awesome. Maybe the best thing you can do for the Grendel is get pulled over more.

When you get back from BoomerShoot (or have a spare few minutes) please give me a call as I have lost my address book from my old phone (to include your number).
                        Last edited by KentuckyBuddha; 05-06-2014, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• Michael
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2012

Both copies of Reloading book were pristine.

Nice story about speeding stop. Lot of good, common sense LEOs out there...
                          I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
                          - Voltaire

Comment

• txgunner00
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Ha! That's a good one. I had a similar conversation with a game warden about suppressors when I was checked in the field several years back. It started with me having to explain several times that I did not need to be LEO or a dealer to own one and ended with me explaining to him how he could get one too.
                            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Lonehill
                              Bloodstained
                              • Aug 2013

Most locker plants rely solely on the .22lr to put down cattle and hogs. Point blank, but terribly effective!

Comment

• Apparition
                                Warrior
                                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Lonehill View Post
                                Most locker plants rely solely on the .22lr to put down cattle and hogs. Point blank, but terribly effective!
                                I grew up on a beef farm, been the shooter and also watched many times. It's really kind of amazing to see a 1500lb animal get it's light turned off and hit the ground from a single .22LR shot. We'd also buy a live pig every now and then to butcher and the .22LR was more than adequate.

And to stay on topic, I just ordered my Volume 2, volume 1 was getting lonely.

Comment

Working...
                                X