• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kritter
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2014

Hornady COAL Gauge problem

The CoAL gauge won't let the bullet seat deeper than 2.340 (see pic) so as soon as I stick it in the chamber the bullet gets stuck . Has anyone had to modify their gauge (cut the end off the cable guide thing) to make it work properly or should I just return it and go with another method.
    On my bolt guns I just use a fired case with a slightly sized neck to find my lands but with my AR Grendel the fired round won't chamber and I don't have a body die or a way to open up the neck of a sized case yet... Any input on the gauge would be appreciated -Mahalo
    Attached Files
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Kritter View Post
    The CoAL gauge won't let the bullet seat deeper than 2.340 (see pic) so as soon as I stick it in the chamber the bullet gets stuck . Has anyone had to modify their gauge (cut the end off the cable guide thing) to make it work properly or should I just return it and go with another method.
    On my bolt guns I just use a fired case with a slightly sized neck to find my lands but with my AR Grendel the fired round won't chamber and I don't have a body die or a way to open up the neck of a sized case yet... Any input on the gauge would be appreciated -Mahalo
    KT:

This doesn't make sense. Do you have a set of Grendel reloading dies? And, are you bumping the shoulder when you size? If you are bumping the shoulder sufficiently when you size, the case ought to chamber and extract easily in your AR. If so, take a sized case and cut a slit in the neck down to the shoulder. Insert a bullet and run it into your chamber then remove it. There will be enough pressure on the bullet to hold it into the neck for you to get a measurement.

LR55

Comment

• Hattrick
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2014

I'm following closely on this one I'm having similar problems with mine too.

Comment

• Walter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2013

I just do not screw to cable part in the case all the way. I am careful to not let the case move when measuring. I thought about grinding the end of the cable guide but I have other calibers. If you have just Grendel to do, then hit the end of the cable guide with a grinder, it would take a minute to do.

Comment

• ejkoechling
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2014

Kritter, I had the same problem. I ground mine down some and it seemed to work fine.
          Another fix might be getting the straight C.O.A.L. gauge. I have the same set-up you got

Comment

• pds
            Warrior
            • Dec 2012

Kritter,
            You need to buy/use the coal gauge designed for bolt guns.

pds

Comment

Go ahead and cut it off. I was planning on cutting mine off months ago, but didn't get around to it. I am cutting mine at the Black marker line.
              Attached Files

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by pds View Post
                Kritter,
                You need to buy/use the coal gauge designed for bolt guns.

pds
                ^^ This.

I don't know why the two have such differences in shaft length, but the straight one is a more natural fit for both AR's and Bolt guns. The only reason (other than availability, perhaps) to use the curved tool is if you have a mini-14 or M1/M1A, where the receiver is closed at the back.

Short of buying a new one, yeah, I'd cut and chamfer it.
                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

I bought the LNL OAL gauge and modified case... however, because of the extension beyond the threads on the gauge I cannot seat my bullet deep enough into the gauge to get a good reading. I understand now that most of you use the straight one but I am not going to fork over the extra coin to change now... Have any of you

Ground mine down and haven't had any problems with it.

Comment

• Kritter
                    Unwashed
                    • Mar 2014

Thanks

Thanks everyone I was looking for that post but couldn't find it glad I'm not the only one.

Comment

• Kritter
                      Unwashed
                      • Mar 2014

Thanks LR55 I do have dies. I just wanted to use a fire formed case so I wouldn't have to cut the case but because it's a semi the fire formed cases won't re chamber and if I resize the bullet won't slide I'm sure you know this I just didn't want to have to cut the case

Comment

• explorecaves

If you have an adjustable gas block, just close it all the way and you have a bolt gun....

Comment

Working...
                        X