Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DirectDrive

Originally posted by GLShooter View Post
    The 20 Tac is 9.6 lbs. No sling/bipod. Fluted inside the FF tube and the barrel. 24" Shilen blank. Amazing how parts add up for weight. I'm pretty minimalist in that area myself. Here it is from one of my outings last year for PD's in northern Arizona.

Greg
    Barcelona Red Taco (might be Radiant Red)

DD
    09 Super White
    Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2011, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Someone posts up a pretty rifle and another thread gets hijacked. I'll bet you guys are hell holding a conversation with at the beach. lol!

Comment

I'm the worst. It's a symptom of the attention-deficit generation, spoon-fed on snippets and a constant stream of distractions. Back to benches...

I have my workbench and reloading bench combined, but I have had plans for a U-shaped area with two long bench surfaces, with a short end joining them, so you can swivel around and reload on one, while pounding with your bigger hammer on another without jacking your scales all to Hades. I'm still trying to sell that one to household six, who was generous enough to allow me to transform her arts and crafts center into my man cave.

Do any of the more experienced reloaders have some tips on how to maintain a safe loading environment, as far as storage and handling of components goes? I read an article once where a guy somehow had a flash fire and ignited his whole work area, leading to the destruction of his home, along with serious burns to most of his exposed skin.

We recently had an electrical short that burnt-out two of the sockets upstairs, so I can't recommend the preventative checks of a professional electrician enough. It turned out that all our wiring was installed incorrectly, leading to space in between the hot wires and their securing screws. As demand for current increased in the fridge during the summer, it fried the outlet. I can only imagine how that might play out when powder & primers are added to the equation.

I would also recommend against soldering near reloading components, as obvious as that might sound. Haven't done it, but I can see the propensity for some who have combined arts & crafts and a reloading bench to use electrical tools near powder/primers. I also can think how sparks from a Dremel could make things interesting at the bench.

As far as primers go, I learned to load using a hand-primer, but I found that I personally prefer using the press to prime my cases. I also hold each of them up to the light to ensure that I have a full seat, with no protrusion.

I was also gaming the idea out how loose primer pockets could snowball into a serious issue in magazine-fed gas guns, if the primers were to vibrate out slightly under repeated recoil. Then, a protruding primer would possibly induce an unlocked slam-fire, and resulting catastrophic incident with the pressures involved. Any thoughts on that...?

Comment

• StoneTower

Originally posted by QuadCam View Post
          What bullets were you using? I see that Tejon Ranch won't allow the use of bullet containing any lead.

Yes it was the 100gr Barnes TTSX. I have never had to hunt with copper bullets before as I live in Northern California and they have not imposed that restriction on us yet (Southern to Central California only). I needed a load in a hurry that worked and PA_ALLEN was kind enough to share his load.

Just so everything is relevant to the reloading bench theme of the thread...the 100 TTSX were loaded on my reloading bench but being that it is in my "top secret" garage AKA "MAN CAVE" I can't post pictures of it on the internet

Take care,

David

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
            Yes it was the 100gr Barnes TTSX. I have never had to hunt with copper bullets before as I live in Northern California and they have not imposed that restriction on us yet (Southern to Central California only). I needed a load in a hurry that worked and PA_ALLEN was kind enough to share his load.

Just so everything is relevant to the reloading bench theme of the thread...the 100 TTSX were loaded on my reloading bench but being that it is in my "top secret" garage AKA "MAN CAVE" I can't post pictures of it on the internet

Take care,

David
            We DEMAND pictures! Pictures I say!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
              We DEMAND pictures! Pictures I say!!!
              I second that demand..

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
                Do you neck turn that Winchester .25 WSSM brass? I have read that some people do not like the Winchester brass as well as the Federal WSSM but Federal only made .223 WSSM & .243 WSSM brass. Some people are fire forming the Federal brass to .25.
                I was thinking of having a side charger made in .25 WSSM. The .25 caliber barrel would weigh slightly less than your 20 in the same profile but the side charger would weigh more than the standard modified upper. A standard or side charging upper only needs to be opened up 50 thousands to take the larger barrel extension and the ejection port needs to be opened up too.
                Nice rifles. That 20 Tac looks a little close to the edge there on that ice chest. It would make me nervous while I was taking the picture

Here is my Grendel with a 20" LW barrel doing its job

Here is the pig I shot. It was a 2 1/2 day hunt at Tejon ranch in Southern California. It was shot on the final morning of the hunt and Jason (one of the guys I was hunting with) saw this hog and offered me the shot. He is a great guy. Jason takes great pictures. The gun and the pig look great, but the hunter looks like he

Thanks,

David
                No neck turning on this one. No Federal brass was to be had when I got it. They did make some 25 WSSM early on I know but I have never seen any in bulk. I picked up 500 rounds of Winchester and I think that will hold me for awhile!!

That pic was taken after making sure it was nice and solid. It was killing dogs well that day so it deserved some posing for its' efforts.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by RStewart View Post
                  Someone posts up a pretty rifle and another thread gets hijacked. I'll bet you guys are hell holding a conversation with at the beach. lol!

I always felt beaches were for non-verbal communication. If you are at the right beach!! LOL

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Back to benches...
                    Do any of the more experienced reloaders have some tips on how to maintain a safe loading environment, as far as storage and handling of components goes? I read an article once where a guy somehow had a flash fire and ignited his whole work area, leading to the destruction of his home, along with serious burns to most of his exposed skin.

I was also gaming the idea out how loose primer pockets could snowball into a serious issue in magazine-fed gas guns, if the primers were to vibrate out slightly under repeated recoil. Then, a protruding primer would possibly induce an unlocked slam-fire, and resulting catastrophic incident with the pressures involved. Any thoughts on that...?
                    I don't mix work areas and reloading much. Heavy whacking just doesn't do well with reloading at all!! A mild jarring of the bench or table is fine but no whacking.

I separate my primers from my powder is about all I do. I don't smoke so that is no issue for me.

Primers that are getting loose on recoil in your magazines aren't going to fire. It takes a lot more defined impact to set one off.I believe the most you would see would be the primers reseating in the case. I also think that if they are that loose one would tend to notice it on the priming station.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GLShooter View Post
                      I don't mix work areas and reloading much. Heavy whacking just doesn't do well with reloading at all!! A mild jarring of the bench or table is fine but no whacking.

I separate my primers from my powder is about all I do. I don't smoke so that is no issue for me.

Primers that are getting loose on recoil in your magazines aren't going to fire. It takes a lot more defined impact to set one off.I believe the most you would see would be the primers reseating in the case. I also think that if they are that loose one would tend to notice it on the priming station.

Greg
                      I didn't mean primers activating while still in the magazine. I meant primers scooting out of the loose pockets while in the magazine under recoil....and then, during chambering....slam fire. When I feel a primer that goes in way too easily, I bang the case at an angle against the bench to see if it will slip out. I have been able to get a few to slip out, which do not get loaded, and the brass is retired then.

Comment

Here is my setup. Nothing fancy, just utilitarian.

Comment

Looks completely usable and that's what matters.

Which reminds me, I need to make some sort of over bench shelving still.

Comment

One thing is for sure you can never have too many shelves or too much light in your reloading room. This one looks very usable.

Greg

Comment

• munchie3409

My basement is not clean, so don't mind the mess.

Comment

Looks like you have enough room to get it done and enough space to expand in to. A very workable area.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X