Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michaelmew

Originally posted by munchie3409 View Post
    My basement is not clean, so don't mind the mess.
    I think I have the exact same bench as you do. My wife got it for me from Sam's and it has a small cart that fits nicely underneath.

This thread has been interesing, but what I would like to know is if you guys were going to give advice on setup, what would you suggest and discourage. I think someone already mentioned how power tools (Dremel) and hammering and banging is a bad idea. While I agreet that those are a recipe for disaster, maybe someone has some ideas to minimize the risk. Some of us bought houses that our wives wanted and we got jipped on work space. I literally have 8ft of workbench and some shelving to do everything I need to do, so I have to come up with something.

BTW, my plan is to not affix the reloader to my bench permanently, but instead to attach it to a removable base (cutting board) and then have threaded sleeves installed into the table top that the base (cutting board) bolts onto. This way, I can attach several of my power tools to a corresponding base and then use the same 4 threaded sleeves for everything by swapping out what I need at any time. Not the best idea in the world, but with my space limitation, what else can I do.

So, just to summarize, what advice would you give for someone who has to reload in the same area they do other projects in, has a limited surface space, but lots of shelves for storage. PS, I am in my garage and in Texas, so a fan or window unit is more important to me than a space heater .

Thanks!
    -michaelmew

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Ahhh......... reloading in the garage.. Extra special in the 95 plus 95 % dew point hell we all live in now thanks to corn derived ethanol. mikey, keep the powders/ primers inside in air condo, until you load them, then store inside till u shoot them. Also be-duh- spark/flame free in yo garage setup like mine. Find a sep. solid bench to vise up., and pound, weld, & etc. upon. Cheap clear poly-5/16" sheet, like the stuff at skating - hockey rinks ,,can seperate work benches too.,,,,,,, in a side to side bench idea. Shelves and , especially-CABINETS, are the upper areas best choices., step stool is all you'll need out there- to find your'e stuff.

Comment

Munchie,
        Nice workroom! When I moved into my new 'small' house, I had to cram my reloading gear into my garage workbench. It works, but working in 85-90deg heat with summer humidity levels up around 75-90% sucks. I don't enjoy it much when my hands and eyeballs sweat and powder containers get condensation on them when I bring them out of the A/C into the garage. So I'm shutting down for a while until it cools a little.
        Attached Files

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

I'll play. Still working on it, but this is the bare bones.

Scales, dies, etc. are still in the lockers. I'm waiting for the installation of new garage doors next week to finalize positioning of everything.

The picture is flattened by the Iphone camera, but that's an 8 foot bench for scale.
          Last edited by bwaites; 09-09-2011, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Bill that looks like it will be fantastic, see if you can find a cheap micro mill with digital stops or add them, look for second hand even.

Then you can make a plate of aluminum with the case head sizes and then engrave the plate with the ID and Trim length.

Then you simply put your case trimmer in, set the stop and as fast as you can place a case and bump it you are done.

For annealing you can get a piece of flameproof board and then drill holes, then all you need to do it hit the map gas on each as quickly as you can, that stuff should anneal extremely fast.

I hope to see my reloading area soon.

Comment

• Bushmaster223

1015092219.jpg1028091632a.jpg1028091631.jpg
              Here' mine.

Comment

• Bushmaster223

Sorry not the best pics.

Comment

• Michael
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2012

I'll resurrect an older post I just stumbled on...my little work area.

It is in the basement, in what my wife calls 'The Bunker'
                  Last edited by Michael; 07-07-2012, 01:00 AM. Reason: forgot text
                  I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
                  - Voltaire

Comment

here's mine just added a tool box

Comment

• Von Gruff
                      Chieftain
                      • Apr 2012

Like many, I dont load for more than a 1/2 doz cartridges and all those being bolt rifles now the need for multiple progressive presses etc is not there. I do have a 20x20ft room that is my play room although the guns are in a safe elsewhere. Have a 8ft x 4fy bench in the foreground that is usually clutered with other projects I am tinkering with.

Von Gruff.
                      http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                      Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Looks nice guys!

Michael: Nice clean and orderly space! My area looks like a garbage heap, so I've never posted pictures.

BiggDawg: I love the calendars the most!!!LOL Bet you always know what day it is!

Von Gruff: I see a powder horn-- what smoke pole are you shooting? What is to the left of the powder horn? A tomahawk or a footman's pick?
                        Last edited by Variable; 07-07-2012, 06:18 AM.
                        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Von Gruff
                          Chieftain
                          • Apr 2012

The powder horn is one I made from a piece of walnt with a bit of brass for fittings when I was involved with the pistol clb and had a pair of 1860 colt replicas. The "axe" is a miniture halberdian influenced battleaxe that I made once when I was making a few knives and had a bit of spare blade steel. I saw an origonal in a book and thought I would see if I could do something similar with my minimal tooling set-up. It sat beside my front door for many years when there was a possibility of un-wanted visiters when I was riding motorcycles.

Von Gruff.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

Von Gruff,
                            I like the cartridge collection. Are they just standing there or did you fasten them somehow. I've got a small collection of odd calibers and looking for a good way to display them. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Von Gruff
                              Chieftain
                              • Apr 2012

They are just sitting there and of course this means that I regularly knock some of them over when I want one for any particular reason. I dont want to put anything on them to secure them in place as I add to the seperate colection groups.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

Here is my reloading bench, downscaled to about 1/4 what it used to be. I also have a portable stand with a single stage press. In this pic is my Dillon 550B, Giraud case trimmer, RCBS Chargemaster, and my vise where I do my hammering. All the components and hand tools, gauges, etc are in the bench cabinets.

Comment

Working...
                                X