Economy Ammunition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High speed beef, cheeseheads and Grendels adds up to good eats.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

MMMM.... skinny - fast woodland cows, and sauted in some butter, jagermeister, onion and lemon, garlic powder, some bbq. suace, some basil., cheez added at the end = yum. I'll be a bad, good guy here and submit a few 85-95 grn. Gmx units to Bill A., if he will accept them for a try. The lighter Gmx will destroy as well as a lead core bullet in a 10 - 20 wt. heavier bullet, I v'e done a bit of testing, photos soon..,, I know it's not a true economy round,, but it's better than most hunting rounds out there. He may also help in persuading Horn. to lighten the 6.5 Gmx up for us in the Grendel cal. Why ? I think it's better than the Barnes tt 100, I've had great success so far, tweaking on the Gmx., but it could use some improvements.., same idea that changed the 120 amax into the 123 Amax. Any thoughts, ideas, guys??
      Last edited by sneaky one; 08-23-2011, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Stan, yes I did them in a high quality drill last yr. ,, and they shot fine. This yr. I've turned them in a lathe- or end mill. I've seen no accuracy gain this way-either..., with or without a b.tail.. I wanted these for short range deer hunts. The 95 GMX btail. I shot last year -200y. had a nickel size group. Thats with a bipod, sand bag attack, upon me from my brother, tryin to lock me down, Bwaites style!, to the bench, and,,, with my 5 lb. hunting trigger installed . The 93 grn. gmx is the best side to side replica of a 100 ttsx barny thats out there. I am going to the range this wknd. to see how it does, and h2o jug test- capture it also, if it doesn't over penetrate the 3 ft. long jug trail I made up for this exp. Sooooo, what Iv'e found on my great experiment for the last year, is this... Pointed tips can be reduced if done properly. Boat tails don't mean shiite inside of 200 y. ( I haven't bothered to shoot them farther. Why? I usually don't shoot that far at deer as most other hunters don't either, bullet wt. and lengths can be altered on these monolithic type units. Yes, we have an adjustable wt. bullet. Cool beans. We can have the b. tail, or not. BTW., the 85 grn. is way over 3000 fps. w/ no press. signs. I used to shoot 7mag. at deer 20-30-y. away= 140's at 3160fps. ==too much recoil. That's why I chose the Grr. Less pain, more gain.

Comment

id rather stay in the 123 grain myself. Just a different bullet. a full metal jacket maybe? And even a different round in the lineup obviously not an economy round but a 123 grain built just like the M855 62g 5.56 with the steel core penetrator. Nothing illegal about having those. He can sell those. I would think such a round would be devastating seeing what the M855 does. But yeah a full metal jacket and a penetrator. I think the Amax suffices fine for hunting. Ive seen that bullet blow coyotes in half basically. And kill deer with ease. But i cant see having him make us smaller bullets. That ol saying theres no substitute for cubic inches. I would say a few extra grains would hold true in this category as well. Seeing how most of our weapons like the 123 grain area thats where my vote is. But thats just me

Keith

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

The gmx is longer by composition. 95-5 gilding metal = 95% copper & 5% zinc alloy. The 120 gmx is soooooooo, long for a 120 , it's not a good choice as given, for the 6.5 G. The beauty of this bullet is, it's as tough as steel, yet it fouls the barrel less than the barny units.,,, and it 's length/ wt. can be adjusted to suit ones needs. If the secant ogive could be tweaked to match the 123 amax, and the wt. reduced by big Horn., it would be cool, as I could get some rest....

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Read back a page., or 2 ., there trully is a bullet out there for hunting purposes, that could make us all happy, for a version of semi- econ. ammo.

Comment

Load it and we will shoot it!
                I think those who have voiced their opinions are on track. this season is running short so get busy with the ammo!

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

I talked with Bill Alexander about this tonite. This ammo will come in at a target price under $17/box, but only will be sold in case lots to keep the handling costs down. So start thinking about who you want to split cases with if you don't want to buy a whole case.

Second, it will be a hunting jacketed bullet, 115 grains, designed specifically for the Grendel. Bill should have the test bullets in the next few weeks if all goes as planned.

So: This will be a Hornady cased round, 6.5 mm 115 grain bullet with a hunting purpose, but designed specifically for the Grendel so it will have a pretty good BC and long range target performance. Case cost will be $170 or less. Thats less than .85 cents a round, when Hornady brass alone runs about .60 cents a piece.

Now, for some additional good news:

There is another special being considered, targeted at reloaders or those who want to start. More information as it becomes available!
                  Last edited by bwaites; 08-27-2011, 03:52 AM.

Comment

That's encouraging and the 115 gr is a fine idea. Many of us attempted to persuade Hornady to do a 115 gr 6.5 bullet when we heard the Interbond was to be introduced. Our theory was that most 6.5 (6.5x55 and 260 Remington) rifles produced relatively low velocity and the bonded bullet wasn't needed to keep the core and jacket from separating, but they introduced it as a 130 gr anyway. I assume it hasn't sold too well, as I see it at reduced price normally, but even at lower prices I never bothered with it, as the Hornady Spire Point cup and core were such spectacular bullets anyway, and much cheaper.

Certainly, cheaper ammunition will drive greater Grendel market acceptance.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2011, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• usmc1371
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2011

im always looking for another ammo to try since i dont reload.......ill buy it.

Comment

I'll take a case

Comment

• Dogue
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2011

Well crap, there goes my plans not to spend more money on ammo for a little while.
                          Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Any idea when there might be word if this will be done? I would love 120 hot-cor or if the 115 does well I could go for that too.

Greg

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

The special reloading offer I mentioned above is now up on the Alexander Arms website:

500 Pieces of Hornady brass for $225.00, and the price includes a free set of Lee dies.

Comment

Has anyone ever figured out which case (lapua vs. hornady) is the better buy?

Comment

Working...
                                X