• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AmishEskimoNinja
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2013

No need to trim

The last few times I've gone to reload my brass I've have the pleasant surprise that I didn't need to trim it. I'm using Lapua brass FL sized and trimmed as unfired brass, then after several more firings in my AR15 and several more FL resizings I'm still well under the max case length. The cases measured 1.502-1.510. Anyone else have this experience?

Here's my setup:
    Hornady LnL press
    Hornady custom grade dies
    Lapua brass trimmed to 1.506 originally
    LE Wilson case gauge
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

I've never trimmed a piece of Lapua brass and I have 20+ reloads on some of my oldest.

Comment

• lamrith
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Bwaites, did you trim on 1st use at all? If not I am curious what the length was new, maybe it was at minimum length so room to stretch before needing trimming?
      Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
      18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
      SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
      16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
      Anderson Pistol lower:
      16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
      6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by lamrith View Post
        Bwaites, did you trim on 1st use at all? If not I am curious what the length was new, maybe it was at minimum length so room to stretch before needing trimming?
        About half my brass is from factory loads, about half is new. When I first started reloading it, I called Bill Alexander and asked about full length resizing or trimming new brass. He told me to load and shoot new brass, running a ball through any that looked like they had been dinged in the case mouth. No need to measure it, no need to trim it, no need to resize it. Just for curiosity, I checked a few for case length and found they were all actually at or slightly (001.003) below minimum case length when new. Over the last 8-10 years I've talked to lots of shooters who use Lapua brass in other calibers, and every one has said that Lapua brass is always undersized when brand new, it doesn't matter what caliber. After one firing it is chamber sized and they go from there.

I know that I have never trimmed any, and I don't believe I've ever heard LR1955 ever mention trimming Lapua brass either and he's the only guy on forum who has shot more of it than me, I think. (stokesrj has too, but he is seldom around anymore!)

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          About half my brass is from factory loads, about half is new. When I first started reloading it, I called Bill Alexander and asked about full length resizing or trimming new brass. He told me to load and shoot new brass, running a ball through any that looked like they had been dinged in the case mouth. No need to measure it, no need to trim it, no need to resize it. Just for curiosity, I checked a few for case length and found they were all actually at or slightly (001.003) below minimum case length when new. Over the last 8-10 years I've talked to lots of shooters who use Lapua brass in other calibers, and every one has said that Lapua brass is always undersized when brand new, it doesn't matter what caliber. After one firing it is chamber sized and they go from there.

I know that I have never trimmed any, and I don't believe I've ever heard LR1955 ever mention trimming Lapua brass either and he's the only guy on forum who has shot more of it than me, I think. (stokesrj has too, but he is seldom around anymore!)
          Guys:

I think I trimmed some after over 20 firings. This was because I had fired different lots of Lapua brass from different chambers and just wanted to get things even again. Nothing was over max length. I didn't need to trim them.

Neck turning and annealing brass is also a unnecessary waste of time. Both do more damage to the brass than good.

LR55

Comment

• Savage Shooter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

I have an AA 24" upper and I was trying to figure out trim-to dimensions. I wrote the following to Bill Alexander: "The Reloading Information page for your site states a trim-to length of 1.520" with a 1.526" MAX, Hornady's manual states 1.506/1.516, Berger's Manual has 1.504 trim, Hogdon has 1.515 and Nosler 1.520. My actual fired cases from Hornady factory ammo ranged from 1.512 to 1.520 before resizing - I am not sure if I should trim or not?"

This was his response: "The chamber dimension allows for the case to run to a maximum above 1.526" so the trim may be shorter and as long as it is consistent then the exact value is not important. The ability to measure exactly, on a brass case which is subject to expansion due to heat, is always in question. Bullet pull or uncork pressure is the dominant factor in behavior of a round of ammunition."

So, depending which source you want to believe and your own chamber dimensions, your trim-to length could be substantially longer than what you are up to now. But, as LR1955 stated, which goes along with what Bill advised, consistency of length for accuracy is possibly going to be the determining factor in when to trim, and like others you might never reach your chamber's MAX trim length.
            My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• Bwild97
              Warrior
              • Jan 2015

I have always trimmed Hornady brass (1.518, some needed it some didn't) never have I had a Lapua (AA) case need trimming. I use a Giraud's trimmer on all my brass, as I said some need it some don't, but evey piece goes through the Giraud.

Comment

• rasp65
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

I measured my chamber length at 1.540". In my case they will not need to be trimmed as much as evened up.

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2015

for trim length books are only manufacturers spec. I load alot for precision so i like to know as much about my chamber as possible. The best tool to find trim length is the sinclair chamber length gauge. Simply cut a peice of brass short and insert the tool, drop it in the chamber and close the bolt then measure. Personally i do this 3-5 times. if i get the exact same number 3 times i'm good, if its off by .002 or more ill check 5 times and usually get 3 that line up.

write this number done in your data book (you have one for either reloading or one for each rifle right?) as your maximum case length. You can either shoot it until it gets to this length then trim .01 or trim to any consistent length under that.

AS far as lapua brass, so far i run it on my 338 308 and my 223 the 338 needed to be trimmed after 6 shots. 223 and 308 are 3 shots and no need yet.

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

They don't recommend use in a semi-auto (or lever or pump), I am guessing because there might not be enough force to be sure the bolt is fully closed and the insert driven in completely, hence you'd get an inaccurate chamber length reading (too long) and if you loaded a live round to that length, get yourself in real trouble. So, if you did use the tool for a semi-auto, better be sure to subtract an extra 0.01 or so (or more if your measurement is significantly over recommended max in your reloading manuals.)

For those reloaders who take the extra step to neck turn their brass to control tension, the extra bearing surface of an even longer neck, IF NOT TRIMMED TO A UNIFORM length, will likely increase the variability in release tension and be counter-productive to what they are trying to achieve by neck turning in the first place. That said, in a semi-auto Grendel shooting around 1 MOA, all the more advanced "bench-rest" reloading techniques (weight sorting bullets and cases, sorting by bullet bearing surface length, neck turning, weighing powder to +/- 0.05 gr, etc.) are probably over-kill, and I am trying to convince myself to skip them and spend more time shooting and practicing and less time measuring.
                    My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• terrywick4
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

[QUOTE=bwaites;108666]About half my brass is from factory loads, about half is new. When I first started reloading it, I called Bill Alexander and asked about full length resizing or trimming new brass. He told me to load and shoot new brass, running a ball through any that looked like they had been dinged in the case mouth. No need to measure it, no need to trim it, no need to resize it. Just for curiosity, I checked a few for case length and found they were all actually at or slightly (001.003) below minimum case length when new. Over the last 8-10 years I've talked to lots of shooters who use Lapua brass in other calibers, and every one has said that Lapua brass is always undersized when brand new, it doesn't matter what caliber. After one firing it is chamber sized and they go from there.

I know that I have never trimmed any, and I don't believe I've ever heard LR1955 ever mention trimming Lapua brass either and he's the only guy on forum who has shot more of it than me, I think. (stokesrj has too, but he is seldom around anymore!)[quote]

So you just pop the primer out and don't size anything? Aren't the bullets loose in neck?

Comment

• terrywick4
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

So you do not size anything? Just pop the primer, put a new on in, dump some powder, put a bullet in? Aren't the bullets loose in the neck?

Originally posted by bwaites View Post

Comment

• NugginFutz
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by terrywick4 View Post
                          So you do not size anything? Just pop the primer, put a new on in, dump some powder, put a bullet in? Aren't the bullets loose in the neck?
                          He was referring specifically to new brass.
                          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• terrywick4
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

makes more sense now that I read it ALL this time.

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by terrywick4 View Post
                              makes more sense now that i read it all this time.
                              lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X