Fire forming 7.62X39 ?????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • longdayjake

Are you fireforming on semi-auto or single shot? Maybe the rounded shoulders are from not allowing the round to be in the chamber long enough to fully form because the rifle is already extracting the spent casing?

Comment

• pinzgauer
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

Semi. That said, my fireformed shoulders look pretty darn close to factory hornady & wolf both unfired and fired, as well as my "many fired" cases from same. So it may just be an optical illusion.

We also know that getting the radius right is something hard for newer calibers to do. Given one of my rifles is AA, and the other using an AA licensed reamer, my conjecture is they are per spec.

I'll have to find another cartridge which has similar shoulder radius and do a visual comparison. Most do not have the tools to try to accurately measure the radius arc.

Comment

• bucktact6.5

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
        I place a single-ply circle of toilet paper over the powder and top off the case with C.O.W. Then, using a case as a punch, I knock out some circles from a styrofoam cup to make a plug to keep the C.O.W. tidy while chambering the round gently. Make sure you rotate your gas block to keep the stuff out of your gas system. Don't underestimate the power of such a charge. It's still deadly.

Hoot
        We dont have cream of wheat in South Alabama, Will Grit's work?....LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by bucktact6.5 View Post
          We dont have cream of wheat in South Alabama, Will Grit's work?....LOL.
          You bet! I use them interchangeably. Grits smell better when shot into the wind. Kinda like popcorn.

Hoot

Comment

The fact remains that while knowing how to make 6.5Grendel brass from 7.62x39 is good in case there ceases to be a supply, the question remains as to why not just use wolf brass or Hornady, after the effort and expense of forming the brass it is very likely it is more expensive to do so than to use 6.5G brass to begin with.

Besides what are you going to reload for your AK???

The reloaded AK ammo is actually quite good compared to what can be purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by warped View Post
              The fact remains that while knowing how to make 6.5Grendel brass from 7.62x39 is good in case there ceases to be a supply, the question remains as to why not just use wolf brass or Hornady, after the effort and expense of forming the brass it is very likely it is more expensive to do so than to use 6.5G brass to begin with.

I don't have an AK, so that eliminates the problem....
              And I found a real good reason not to use the Wolf brass last weekend. I blew the primer clean out of a new factory round and locked the gun up tighter'n a tick. I eventually un-f'd it, but it pissed me right off. My own hydroformed brass all worked perfectly. A few that refused to hydroform were fire-formed, those worked fine too. But the Wolf, 1 of only 20, was defintely a problem child.

Comment

• cornholio1

Originally posted by warped View Post

Its cheaper for me to fireform x39 brass. Wolf doesnt sell components AFAIK. Hornady is about 70 cents per brass piece and PRVI brass is about 30 cents each. I have not lost many cases so far from firing/reloading them. The necks dont grow much. Not many problems except the large rifle primers. I guesstimate 5-7 firings so far. Here are some that have at least 4-5 firings.

Edit: I chronoed these round and got between 2450 to 2520 FPS. They were hot loads.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2011, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• longdayjake

Just got a hydroforming tool and I will be seeing what it can do in the next few weeks. I wish I could do it faster but I am busy these days.

Comment

• cornholio1

My observations indicate the PRVIx39 brass fireformed to Grendel will last about 5-7 firings of hot loads before you have small split necks. Never had a doughnut.

Comment

Two questions. What is a doughnut in reference to brass? Also has anyone chrono'ed similar loads from x39 fireformed cases and real Grendel brass? I'd like to know what the difference is using the same bullet/powder/primer combo and loaded to similar pressure.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Anyone have any advice loading with large rifle magnum primers?

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
                          Anyone have any advice loading with large rifle magnum primers?
                          XCR:

They aren't dangerous but aren't needed either. When I was experimenting with 7.62 X 39 brass I tested some loads using some Federal Large Rifle Magnum Primers. I shot them over a chrono and for accuracy. They showed about a 10 fps increase in velocity with a higher SD. Accuracy was a bit less than standard Large Rifle Primers. I would use them if nothing else was available. No, I didn't drop powder charges. I used the same charges with magnum and regular primers.

However, I was using ball powders at mid range loads. I would not use them with fast burning extruded powders like 8208 at max loads.

LR1955
                          Last edited by LR1955; 08-24-2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• XcountryRider

So does a 26gr of 2520 with magnum CCI primers sound about right to fireform?

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
                              So does a 26gr of 2520 with magnum CCI primers sound about right to fireform?
                              Sounds good for 120's or lighter. Pour it into one case and check to see how much of the case is filled. If it comes up to the shoulder or is inside the shoulder, you are fine.

LR55

Comment

• XcountryRider

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                                Sounds good for 120's or lighter. Pour it into one case and check to see how much of the case is filled. If it comes up to the shoulder or is inside the shoulder, you are fine.

LR55
                                Thanks yes shooting some 100gr noslers particians. We'll use them for 100yard plinking and working on my sons accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                                X