• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jakal
    Warrior
    • May 2014

LRRPF52,

Are the Litz BC's determined from field testing vs a testing chamber?

Had always heard the bullet makers inflate and average their BC's. Is this the difference between Litz and Hornady/Nosler stated BC's?

I can't see that much difference between the .553 and .561 of the Nosler bullet but the BC difference of .462 to .510 is quite a step on the Hornady. That will show up at longer ranges.
    ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• ahillock
      Warrior
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Beerswimmer View Post
      Nice Jakal!! I paid for one of the 12" Faxon barrels in the group buy. Mine will be a pistol with a Shockwave brace.

Next spring/summer I'll be filling out forms for SBR and a suppressor once I'm done moving.
      I am considering doing the same build with a Shockwave brace. I'll probably wait a while to see if there is any change in the tax stamp stuff with the new President before going down that road.

Comment

• jim_bob
        Warrior
        • Jul 2014

I've been very pleased with my 11.5" Lilja barrelled SBR. It has earned its spot as my deer blaster. It put two in the freezer last year and another two in the freezer so far this year. I hunt the Blue Ridge Mountains, part of the Appalachian Mountain range. I don't hunt any spots that would offer a shot over 300 yards, and I doubt I'd attempt to take one much over 200 given my ability, or lack thereof. The longest shot I've made was last year on a large doe in a field right at 190 yards last year, DRT with the 123 SST, the last 5 minutes of my last hunt of the year. The other 3 have been within 100 yards and none have ventured too far. I am in on the 12" Faxon buy too, but I will get it chopped to 10.5".

6.5 Grendel deer stand rifle AKA mini recce Parts: MEGA forged lower - *Form 1 SBR* Spikes LPK minus trigger group Ergo grip Geissele SD-C Spikes trigger guard IWC QD end plate Spikes receiver extension JP Silent captured spring VLTOR Imod clubfoot MEGA forged upper MEGA Slide Lock charging handle Lilja 11.5" fluted 6.5
        Last edited by jim_bob; 12-06-2016, 02:49 AM.

Comment

• jim_bob
          Warrior
          • Jul 2014

LRRPF52, do you know of any factory loads using the 129 ABLR?

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Precision Firearms load the 129 grain Nosler ABLR in Lapua brass however the web site shows the ammo out of stock.

Custom AR-15 Rifles, Custom Uppers, Custom Lower, 6.5 Grendel, AR15, AR 15, AR-15, AR15 upper, custom upper, Lilja, DPMS, Precision, Precision Firearms, Precision-firearms, percision firearms, custom upper, custom ar, custom ar15, barrels, rifle barrels, Shilen, CAA, Command Arms, Yankee Hill, Yankee Hill Machine, 204 ruger, .204 ruger, 223 wyld

Comment

• jim_bob
              Warrior
              • Jul 2014

Thanks VASCAR! I'll keep an eye on precision firearms, might even send them an email to see what quantity they need to make a run.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Jakal View Post
                This thread fit the best for my post, not trying to hi-jack the thread. It's more about the load development and the results with a short barrel.

Gun:

12.5 Lilja Barrel + Heartbreaker Comp
                Geissele SSAE trigger
                LaRue Mount
                Ziess 3-9x50 Conquest
                Seekins lightweight rail
                Seekins Billet upper
                Seekins Low-profile adjustable gas block
                The Jack billet lower by Spikes
                Thordsen MFA Saddle cheek assist
                BCG Gunfighter Mod4 Charging handle
                CrossTac sling
                Houge Overmolded Pistol grip

[URL=http://s216.photobucket.com/user/jameskallan/media/20161126_155120.jpg.html]

The Load:

129grain Nosler AccuBond Long Range
                27.0 grains of XBR8208
                CCI450
                Hornady case
                COAL: 2.26
                2160 fps

The Results:

2 big Does in 2 days, only pics of first doe as second doe was a repeat of first doe, only difference; exit wound on second deer blew out its other shoulder and still exited.

150 yards from stand
                slight 1/4 towards me shot
                went in under right front armpit, blew out a rib, made a mess of everything inside
                exit mid section before diaphragm after blowing out another rib.
                exit hole about 1-1/2 inches wide
                she ran on pure adrenaline maybe 50 yards, crashed and piled up.

Pros; Everything about this gun is great, small profile, lightweight, very accurate and the load is devastating.

****Thanks LRRPF52 for the heads up on the 129 Nosler!, haven't had a coyote come thru yet but can imagine they won't get far with this!*****

Cons: Need hunting hearing protection for left ear as the "EAR-SLAP" is pretty bad. Had enough time to insert a formable ear plug before the shots.
                That is what I'm talking about right there. All you need is a Thunderbeast Ultra 5 Ti can and you're done.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2011

We recently tested a 8.5 Bartlein we chambered in house. Cycled fine. 100 Yard 5 shot group was 1.1 inches. Muzzle Velocity was 2100 FPS.
                  "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2011

I have a bunch of barrels in 7.5 to 14.5 in stock. Some Bartlein, Krieger, Lilja, Criterion and Lothar.
                    "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• ahillock
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jim_bob View Post
                      LRRPF52, do you know of any factory loads using the 129 ABLR?
                      +1. Anyone know? All I have found is Precision Firearms and they are out of stock/no longer carry it:

Custom AR-15 Rifles, Custom Uppers, Custom Lower, 6.5 Grendel, AR15, AR 15, AR-15, AR15 upper, custom upper, Lilja, DPMS, Precision, Precision Firearms, Precision-firearms, percision firearms, custom upper, custom ar, custom ar15, barrels, rifle barrels, Shilen, CAA, Command Arms, Yankee Hill, Yankee Hill Machine, 204 ruger, .204 ruger, 223 wyld

Comment

• ahillock
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        11.5" with a 129gr ABLR gives you:

100yds 2066fps 1223ft-lbs
                        200yds 1928fps 1065ft-lbs
                        300yds 1796fps 924ft-lbs
                        400yds 1671fps 800ft-lbs

12.5" 129gr ABLR
                        425yds 1674fps 802ft-lbs
                        Looking at this some more, it would appear if we take 1300 FPS requirement for expansion, that the 129gr ABLR would expand out of a 11.5" or 12.5" out to 600-650 yards. Is that correct?
                        Last edited by ahillock; 01-06-2017, 03:48 AM.

Comment

• Jakal
                          Warrior
                          • May 2014

Depends how fast you are pushing it. Out of my 12" Lilja barrel running 2160 fps I can get to 740 yards at 1311 fps with 492 ft pounds.

For deer hunting, I can get about 220 yards running at 1893 fps at 1000 foot pounds. A lot of people say 1000 foot pounds to ethically kill a Midwestern whitetail.

Deer = 220 yards or less.
                          coyote = how far you think you can shoot. At 1000 yards running 1128 fps you get about 364 foot pounds. So a 500 yard shot is not out of the question, if you are used to shooting that length and have your drop correctly figured. I personally wouldn't go any further than 400 yards on a coyote.
                          Last edited by Jakal; 01-06-2017, 10:10 PM.
                          ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

That 129gr ABLR will give you full expansion and a through-and-through even with quartering shots.

Put it through the vitals and they will die quickly. At supersonic speeds and still expanding, it's going to do irreparable damage.

Even at 400yds, you're over Mach 1.4. I don't know of any aircraft that are capable of flying Mach 1.4 under 5000ft ASL, because the air is too thick.

That bullet is simply smoking when you look at it in that context, and it's bonded, so it retains weight very well.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ahillock
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2016

For those of you doing the 12" Faxon group buy, are you guys going with a H3 buffer for your setup? I assume a H2 would probably also work.

Comment

• jim_bob
                                Warrior
                                • Jul 2014

I normally run a JP SCS in my 11.5" Lilja. I initially ran a H2 with no issues, although I do run an adjustable gas block.

I plan on running an adjustable gas block and a H2 on my 12" Faxon build.

Comment

Working...
                                X