Need Help selecting a barrel...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Christopher67
    Warrior
    • May 2015

Need Help selecting a barrel...............

I'm looking at this barrel here DoubleStar - 20" 6.5 Grendel Heavy Barrel W/6.5 Bolt https://jtdistributing.com/store/ar976.html

Can anyone give me any info on these barrels? Twist: 1:9, wouldn't a 1:8 be better?
    Caliber: 6.5 Grendel Type II, I'm assuming by Type II they mean it has a .136 bolt face depth?

Another question, did Black Hole Weaponry get bought out or merge with another company?
    http://columbiariverarms.com/configu...-your-264-lbc/ it says & I quote

Would it be better to just go with a SAAMI spec barrel & avoid the Black Hole Weaponry "Type I"?

Whats the consensus on these barrels? https://secure.wf-api.com/www.precis...on-barrel.html

Can anyone recommend a decent barrel for around $350 or less?
  • keystone183
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

BHW didn't get bought, just a rebranding of website, as i understand it. They make good barrels and mine shoots great. Personally at this point though, i am trying to stick to Sammi chambers. Very disappointing that they are dropping the actual grendel headspacing. Makes it easier to drop them as a supplier.

Don't have a PF criteron barrel yet, but expect when i get the one i have ordered, it will be a great barrel. Just be prepared to wait.... a long time maybe.

I believe the 16" AA lite barrel is in your price range, and top quality. Two drawbacks there are the goofy muzzle thread, and you may or may not have to wait. No inventory tracking on website.

It would appear Faxon is serious about getting in to Grendel and will be offering several barrels, but i don't know time frame on them. Otherwise, that would be a go to choice!

Good luck!

Comment

• Christopher67
      Warrior
      • May 2015

Originally posted by keystone183 View Post
      BHW didn't get bought, just a rebranding of website, as i understand it. They make good barrels and mine shoots great. Personally at this point though, i am trying to stick to Sammi chambers. Very disappointing that they are dropping the actual grendel headspacing. Makes it easier to drop them as a supplier.

Don't have a PF criteron barrel yet, but expect when i get the one i have ordered, it will be a great barrel. Just be prepared to wait.... a long time maybe.

I believe the 16" AA lite barrel is in your price range, and top quality. Two drawbacks there are the goofy muzzle thread, and you may or may not have to wait. No inventory tracking on website.

It would appear Faxon is serious about getting in to Grendel and will be offering several barrels, but i don't know time frame on them. Otherwise, that would be a go to choice!

Good luck!

Yes im hoping Faxon offers 6.5 Grendel barrels on their website soon. So theirs a long wait for a PF Criteron barrel also, dang lol!

Comment

• 1911man
        Warrior
        • May 2015

I currently own a BHW 18" 1x9 barrel and really like it but as others have mentioned not having a SAMMI chamber is a draw back. The 2 big pros to these barrels is you can get them quickly from a couple of different suppliers and I really like the poly rifling. I have a Criterion on order from PF right now and I am into week 7 of waiting and I have a 16" lite from AA and also on week 7. The waiting is the worst part, especially this time of year when the weather is just getting colder and I know that by the time I receive my barrel I will have to wait to shoot it. I dont know much about the doubestarr barrel but have seen at least one positive review over the last year on here for them.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Chris, I have a 16" J&T/DS 6.5 Grendel chrome moly barrel with 1:9 twist carbine gas system. With J&T your basically buying a rack grade barrel. If your using this for hunting and plinking I think it will meet your expectations. If your wanting it to shoot tiny groups you might be better off buying a Citerion barrel from PF. I have shot many different bullets and powders through my 16" 1:9 twist barrel. I'm completely satisfied with my J&T barrel especially considering the price. I have not shot any bullets heavier than 123 grains. If you plan on shooting bullets over 125 grains at long range I suggest you consider buying a barrel with 1:8 twist.

I have a Shilen 1:9 twist 6.5 Grendel barrel and with 123 grain bullets it has been accurate with 123 grain bullets at long range. The J&T does have a SAAMI chamber and Grendel bolt. I know a couple other people who bought J&T 6.5 Grendel barrels and they have been satisfied. One person bought the Stainless Steel 20" heavy barrel and he considered having the barrel reprofiled to reduce it's weight. He was completely satisfied with the J&T SS barrel's accuracy. Bwild97 has done extensive testing with various loads using a stainless steel J&T barrel. He tested several heavier bullets and powder combinations using his 1:9 twist. I don't remember Bwild97 shooting any of these combinations at long range but at 100 yards many heavy bullets were accurate. A Friend shot a 264 Win Mag with 1:9 twist for many years with various weight bullets. My Son in Law has a Lothar Walther 22" 6.5 CSS varient with 1:9 twist stainless steel barrels. My SinL most accurate load is a Hornady 129 grain SST however he hasn't shot it passed a couple hundred yards.

I think the 1:8 twist will provide better stability at ranges beyond 800 yards with heavy bullets better than 1:9 twist. If you never intend to shoot that far it may never be an issue.
          Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-05-2016, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Chris I found one of Bwild97 threads where he tested numerous loads in his 24" 6.5 Grendel J&T. The longer the barrel seems to help to stabalize the heavier bullets using 1:9 twist. I don't know if this is because of the increased RPM, velocity or a combination of both.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...)-lots-of-pics.

Comment

• keystone183
              Warrior
              • Mar 2013

Just as an fyi......I am on week 27 waiting on my PF criterion. It is to be nitrided, so that adds a bit of time....but yeah.

Comment

• Christopher67
                Warrior
                • May 2015

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                Chris, I have a 16" J&T/DS 6.5 Grendel chrome moly barrel with 1:9 twist carbine gas system. With J&T your basically buying a rack grade barrel. If your using this for hunting and plinking I think it will meet your expectations. If your wanting it to shoot tiny groups you might be better off buying a Citerion barrel from PF. I have shot many different bullets and powders through my 16" 1:9 twist barrel. I'm completely satisfied with my J&T barrel especially considering the price. I have not shot any bullets heavier than 123 grains. If you plan on shooting bullets over 125 grains at long range I suggest you consider buying a barrel with 1:8 twist.

I have a Shilen 1:9 twist 6.5 Grendel barrel and with 123 grain bullets it has been accurate with 123 grain bullets at long range. The J&T does have a SAAMI chamber and Grendel bolt. I know a couple other people who bought J&T 6.5 Grendel barrels and they have been satisfied. One person bought the Stainless Steel 20" heavy barrel and he considered having the barrel reprofiled to reduce it's weight. He was completely satisfied with the J&T SS barrel's accuracy. Bwild97 has done extensive testing with various loads using a stainless steel J&T barrel. He tested several heavier bullets and powder combinations using his 1:9 twist. I don't remember Bwild97 shooting any of these combinations at long range but at 100 yards many heavy bullets were accurate. A Friend shot a 264 Win Mag with 1:9 twist for many years with various weight bullets. My Son in Law has a Lothar Walther 22" 6.5 CSS varient with 1:9 twist stainless steel barrels. My SinL most accurate load is a Hornady 129 grain SST however he hasn't shot it passed a couple hundred yards.

I think the 1:8 twist will provide better stability at ranges beyond 800 yards with heavy bullets better than 1:9 twist. If you never intend to shoot that far it may never be an issue.

I'm going to be hunting whitetail & coyotes(most shots will be out to 200yds), I probably should jump on the next Faxon barrel group buy if it comes up lol.
                Last edited by Christopher67; 12-05-2016, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• Christopher67
                  Warrior
                  • May 2015

Just as an fyi......I am on week 27 waiting on my PF criterion. It is to be nitrided, so that adds a bit of time....but yeah.
                  W0W! 27 weeks, i hope the PF Criterion barrels are worth the wait. I was hoping to have the barrel at least by March if i ordered now.

What would be the best barrel(SAAMI) with minimal wait times?
                  Last edited by Christopher67; 12-05-2016, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• Rickc
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Christopher67 View Post
                    W0W! 27 weeks, i hope the PF Criterion barrels are worth the wait. I was hoping to have the barrel at least by March if i ordered now.

What would be the best barrel(SAAMI) with minimal wait times?
                    I am very happy with my 18" lightweight JP grendel barrel. Not a long range precision barrel but then you don't need a Porter to carry it. I am done with the hbars

Got it in a week

Comment

• Christopher67
                      Warrior
                      • May 2015

Originally posted by Rickc View Post
                      I am very happy with my 18" lightweight JP grendel barrel. Not a long range precision barrel but then you don't need a Porter to carry it. I am done with the hbars

Got it in a week

Mid-length gas system? Looks like most of their 16" barrels are carbine(*EDIT* i mis-read, JP not JT ).
                      Last edited by Christopher67; 12-05-2016, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• HopelesslyAddicted
                        Unwashed
                        • Nov 2016

I'm on week 14 waiting for AA 16" Lite barrel. Supposed to have them ready to ship middle of this month (fingers crossed). This will be my first Grendel so I don't have any experience with any other barrels/suppliers. My only advice is to order the barrel first and maybe you'll have it by the time the rest of the gun is complete.

Comment

• Christopher67
                          Warrior
                          • May 2015

Originally posted by HopelesslyAddicted View Post
                          My only advice is to order the barrel first and maybe you'll have it by the time the rest of the gun is complete.

This is what i think im going to do.

Comment

• 1911man
                            Warrior
                            • May 2015

Holy crap, did you add any other custom items like fluting? When I called mark he told me around 5 weeks and there website says 4-8.

Comment

• keystone183
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
                              Holy crap, did you add any other custom items like fluting? When I called mark he told me around 5 weeks and there website says 4-8.
                              Nitride only added option. Email response from about a month ago said should ship in 6 wks....so maybe a few more weeks. Hopefully...

Comment

Working...
                              X