X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1Shot
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

That article is deeeep but in my experience I have taken rifles, mostly old military, that would not shoot much better than 3 inch or so groups and chucked up a round head brass bolt in a drill and used lapping compound on the bolt and cut a new crown and the things went down to MOA or better. One rifle that I fixed this past fall for my cousin was his first deer rifle. He has had it for 40 some years. It was a Spanish made 98 Mauser 8x57JS. The best it would shoot was 2 1/2 inch groups with my best handloads. The bore looked like a 200 year old cabin chimney because his son at some time got some old corrosive military ammo and shot it and did not clean it. He wanted me to try to get it to shoot good enough that he could try and kill a deer out to maybe 100 yards. The crown look awful so I used the brass bolt and lapping compound one the crown and went to the range and shot a ragged hole 5 shot group at 100 yards. Blew me away that a bore that bad could shoot that good. Strange things happen. Now back to my dilemma. I have called BCA 4 times and talked to customer "service". I have been promised two times, yesterday and today that the warranty person would call me back today. I have not received any such call. If I can EVER get them to send me a UPS pick up ticket I will send in this tomato stake and see what they will do. I just hope it will not take 6 months or more for the process.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

I feel your pain, bro. And yeah. on the article - just wanting to learn a little more is all.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Keef
        Warrior
        • Jun 2017

What did Primary Arms say isn't that who you purchased it from? I ask this because I've always heard they are super fast with returns which is what you are looking for.
        Last edited by Keef; 03-10-2018, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Primary Arms said basically it is not their problem that the upper won't shoot correctly and I can understand this. I was told to contact BCA for warranty repair.

Comment

• ported45
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

BCA CS is either not being bad to me or pulling the wool over my eyes.

Just got an email this morning that they received my upper and will fix it ASAP.

Again ... we shall see.

Comment

• 1Shot
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

I FINNALY got to talk to the warranty person at BCA this morning and she sent me a UPS pickup ticket by email with a note that said they would resolve this issue. So I am on my way shortly to the UPS office to send it off. She said that turnaround was normally about a week after they get the upper. We shall see.

Comment

• beastep
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2018

I hope it works out well for the both of you.

Comment

• Crracer712
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2018

New here. Bought my first Grendel upper from primary arms. 24" stainless. Ordered on the 14th, received on the 16th(March). Was surprised to see the date on the tag with 3 steel cases dated 3-1-18.

Over all fit and finish looks excellent! It's going on a PSA blem moe lower. Fit as and functioned as it should. Will hopefully get a chance to shoot and sight it in this week, ammo on the way from midwayusa. Unfortunately the 'blem' on my PSA lower is that it looks purple when next to black, so I've disassembled it, and will Duracoat it this afternoon.

For the price of this upper, I wasn't expecting it to look this good. If it shoots as good as it looks, I'll be one happy camper.

IDK what to expect from the federal AE JHP 90 grain. I generally buy factory for first shots before using the brass for reloading. Will be reading up on what you all are liking for bullet weights and powder.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Crracer712!

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Crracer712 View Post
                      New here. Bought my first Grendel upper from primary arms. 24" stainless. Ordered on the 14th, received on the 16th(March). Was surprised to see the date on the tag with 3 steel cases dated 3-1-18.

Over all fit and finish looks excellent! It's going on a PSA blem moe lower. Fit as and functioned as it should. Will hopefully get a chance to shoot and sight it in this week, ammo on the way from midwayusa. Unfortunately the 'blem' on my PSA lower is that it looks purple when next to black, so I've disassembled it, and will Duracoat it this afternoon.

For the price of this upper, I wasn't expecting it to look this good. If it shoots as good as it looks, I'll be one happy camper.

IDK what to expect from the federal AE JHP 90 grain. I generally buy factory for first shots before using the brass for reloading. Will be reading up on what you all are liking for bullet weights and powder.
                      Yes, welcome to Horde. If you read this whole thread, then you probably saw that a BCA upper was also my introduction to 6.5G and I was similarly impressed with the fit and finish, especially for the price. When I finally got out to shoot it, its performance proved to be equally impressive. Hopefully you will have the same experience. Look forward to a report.

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

Welcome aboard Crracer712,
                        Reading the forum you'll also probably see that Federal brass doesn't re-load as well as other types... maybe 1 or 2 reloads out of it due to soft brass/primer pockets. The 90 TNT's shoot well though. Check out some Hornady Black or sst factory loads, the brass from them will last much longer and prices can be economical on ammoseek etc. Other deals are out there as well.
                        Shoot safely...
                        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• 1Shot
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2018

I sure hope yours shoots better than mine did. BCA has mine now HOPEFULLY FIXING IT. But beware these tend to multiply. I decided to build me a Grendel and it ain't nowhere as cheep as the BCA uppers but hopefully it will shoot MUCH better. Finished my build today but it will be a while before I can get to the range to shoot it due to work and the crazy weather we are going to be having the next week or so. If when BCA sends my upper back to me and it still won't shoot very well I will probably pull the barrel off of it and replace it with a quality barrel. You really can't purchase the receiver, BCG, float tube, gas block and tube and flash hider for what I bought my complete BCA upper for.

Comment

• 1Shot
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2018

I shipped my bad shooting upper back to BCA on 3-12-18 about noon and I received it back today 3-22-18. There was no explanation as to what they found with the old barrel of what did but they put a new barrel on the old upper. From looking at the barrel especially the muzzle end it looks like a MUCH BETTER barrel. The other barrel had chatter marks on the muzzle so it probably was a bad or not square crown. It will be a few day before the weather gets good enough to go to the range and shoot it and my NEW build 18" Oden barrel Grendel.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2017

I'm glad they took care of it for you. Let us know how it shoots.
                              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Crracer712
                                Bloodstained
                                • Mar 2018

That's good turn around! Still haven't had time to shoot mine yet, maybe this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X