Ordered an Aero Precision Grendel upper...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

Funny, after looking at the data again, it just so happens that somehow that particular pin is the longest of the batch. (Honestly don't remember the source of that firing pin)

So, what that means is that as long as I'm using a SAAMI chamber, and an AA spec bolt, then everything else should work? (I'm not arguing headspace/go-no go, always check these for yourself yadda yadda) But it sounds like as long as there's nothing out of Bill's specified measurements with the Grendel chamber or bolt, then the rest of the pieces should work as intended. Why have there been so many folks changing things to make this even more complicated...

So, because the Grendel bolt is .11 deeper in the face, he added .1 to the tail of the bolt to account for the length of the standard mil-spec firing pin in an effort to further the interchangeability of the Grendel to existing ar15 parts systems?
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Yes Kswhitetails, actually .01 difference 2.810 for AA spec bolt and 2.800 on 5.56 bolt and Larue. I haven’t read any reports of pierced primers with Larue 6.5 Grendel’s but this issue came to light after Odin released their 6.5 Grendel and there were frequent reports of pierced primers. The pierced primers were the result of 2.800 bolt .136 bolt face depth and milspec length firing pins.

Maybe Larue’s tolerences are tight enough that this issue has not appeared with his barrels and bolts. Like I added to my previous post I don’t know the specified firing pin protrusion for an AR-15. If your rifle functions and no pierced primers great. If a forum member is getting pierced primers this could be the issue.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Here is a link to an earlier thread where the short Odin bolt .2800 was encountered using a mil spec firing pin with resulting pierced primers.

I put together a new build over the past several weeks and was able to spend a little time at the range today. Pretty common parts, Anderson lower, Aero Precision enhanced upper and an Odin 18" tube. Pretty happy with the way it turned out. Caught a break in the SE Alaska weather today and headed to the range to

Honestly I think the 2.800 bolt length with .136 bolt face depth is either an oversight when gearing up for production or no concern about trying to maintain parts compatibility.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

Fair enough. I remembered reading the thread, but after measuring my bolts, I couldn't find the discrepancy. Could be because of the tolerance gaps on either end, but it's more likely because I'm sometimes as worthless as a box of rocks on a gravel road...

Hows that for a little self-deprecation?
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Old dog new tricks
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2017

Bolt should be measured from cam pin hole

Comment

• kcb38
              Warrior
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
              The Brownell, Toolcraft, Odin and Larue 6.5 Grendel bolts use a shorter tail which is .01 shorter than the Alexander Arms and most other Grendel bolts (Group Buy Bolt).
              Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
              With a 2.810 long bolt you need a mil spec length firing pin.
              Learn something new every day. I never considered that when it came to the .125 vs .136 bolts. Normally, stupid stuff like this tends to bite me in the butt but this time I inadvertently made the right choice by going with the group buy bolt. Just another example of what a great resource this forum is for neophytes like myself.
              - Kirk -

Comment

• Calfed
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2018

My Aero Precision upper arrived the other day. I put it on an Aero Precision lower that I have that has Daniel Defense furniture and an ALG trigger. I finally ordered a Toolcraft bolt and a couple of e lander mags. Still waiting for those items.

The Aero upper looks good. I'll do a range report when I get the thing completely assembled.

A few pics...

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

The Brownells Grendel BCG works fine as supplied. I just have to remember not to switch parts willy nilly from one BCG to another.

If I ever have to replace the firing pin I have to remember to shorten a milspec firing pin with a bit of sandpaper before using.

Simple.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Calfed View Post
                    My Aero Precision upper arrived the other day. I put it on an Aero Precision lower that I have that has Daniel Defense furniture and an ALG trigger. I finally ordered a Toolcraft bolt and a couple of e lander mags. Still waiting for those items.

The Aero upper looks good. I'll do a range report when I get the thing completely assembled.

A few pics...
                    ...images...
                    Really looks great. Is that a blasted barrel or 'koted?
                    Whats' the barrel profile?
                    How do you like ALG triggers?
                    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
                    -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• Calfed
                      Unwashed
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Tex Nomex View Post
                      Really looks great. Is that a blasted barrel or 'koted?
                      Whats' the barrel profile?
                      How do you like ALG triggers?
                      Thanks, Tex.

That is a bead blasted 416R stainless barrel. It is the Ballistic Advantage DMR profile. Here is a link to the specs.

The ALG trigger is nice...crisp and light.

Comment

• Calfed
                        Unwashed
                        • Jan 2018

Ahh, my Toolcraft bolt arrived today. Excellent service from Monmouth Reloading. Ordered it Wednesday 1/31, arrived here today.

Comment

• BCHunter
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2018

Range report?....im sure everyone is curious,...great looking gun.

Comment

Working...
                          X