Hornady black ELD match for deer hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ErikS
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

I have ton loaded up. It shoots well out of my 16 and my son's 20. So what says the 6.5G horde? Should we use them on deer inside of 120yards?
    #shareyourspare

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

There only two reasons to limit the range:

1) One’s confidence in hitting the vital zone under current wind, light, and physical status. (are you worn out or fresh?)

and:

2) The maximun range for reliable expansion of the bullet. That was rather far out for the AMAX. The sub question is “What is the minimum velocity for reliable expansion?”
      Last edited by JASmith; 08-31-2018, 07:23 PM.
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• imaguy3
        Warrior
        • Mar 2018

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
        2) The maximun range for reliable expansion of the bullet. That was rather far out for the AMAX. The sub question is “What is the minimum velocity for reliable expansion?”
        To which if you ask Hornady now about their ELD match bullet... they will reply "this bullet is designed for target shooting and not reliable expansion"... and they won't give you a velocity. Here in lies the problem b/c we have to rely on anecdotal evidence from the internet.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by imaguy3 View Post
          To which if you ask Hornady now about their ELD match bullet... they will reply "this bullet is designed for target shooting and not reliable expansion"... and they won't give you a velocity. Here in lies the problem b/c we have to rely on anecdotal evidence from the internet.
          I tested the AMAX in water a few years back. The bullet expands nicely even below 1600 fps but I would suggest 1600 as the threshold.

The ELD match is very likely similar but, until I or someone else gets the time to do tests with the ELD match, we indeed have to rely on anecdotal evidence.

BTW threshold expansion velocities in water should be a few tens of fps higher than in ballistic gelatin. That is because it is lower in density and has even less strength than gelatin.
          Last edited by JASmith; 09-01-2018, 02:48 PM. Reason: clean up punctuation
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

Local LGS said they work well at least on a high shoulder shot on a 200lb pig....

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
              Local LGS said they work well at least on a high shoulder shot on a 200lb pig....
              Yea bit not all LGS or created equal. Go into one where I live and tell them you need a rifle for deer and they will hand you a 300 win mag and 200 grain ammo.

Comment

• Popeye212
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                Yea bit not all LGS or created equal. Go into one where I live and tell them you need a rifle for deer and they will hand you a 300 win mag and 200 grain ammo.
                This one showed me the pic

Comment

• Mudder500
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2017

I shot a deer with mine. Dropped it in tracks

Comment

• ScoutH57
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2016

I'll add my 2 cents worth of anecdotel evidence.

I've shot quite a few hogs from 50 to 300 yards with 123 Amaxes from an 18 inch barre and they all died quickly most within a few yards if not drt. Various weight and size pigs I remember a couple of pretty large boars too.

I called and asked once about the ELD-Ms vs Amax and was told they were the same besides the plastic.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2017

Just killed a 125 pound bear with the 123 ELD-M at 265 yards. One shot was all that was needed.
                      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Nodak
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

They work good. Took two last year and both dropped where they stood.

Comment

Working...
                        X