• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forgottenben
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by CaptnC View Post
    I ran some numbers after your last post, just out of curiosity to see the MV of a 12.5"....1,080fps...I can almost throw a snowball at that speed! J/K

But it is getting almost to the speed it moving more vertical than horizontal...ALMOST!

All that said Im not saying a 24" barrel is going to do wondrous things at that distance either, but if I'm going to shoot that far, it will be with something I stand the best chance to do it with!

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Forgottenben View Post
      Please tell me you’re not saying the muzzle velocity of a 12.5 is 1080 FPS?
      Why heck yeah! He “ran the numbers” so it’s gotta be right
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• CaptnC
        Warrior
        • May 2018

Originally posted by hill37 View Post
        Head Honcho of FoldAR said on ARFCOM the 6.5 Grendel wasn't "suited' for a 12" barrel and he wouldn't recommend it. (?)https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Fo...9524/#i7885922
        Well, well...took the time this morning to skim over the thread in the opening post.

I'm betting this guy owns the old TV series "Get Smart" and most of the 007 movies out there.

I had no idea he was talking about "function"/wouldn't work. His problem isn't a ballistics issue, it's has something to do with short gas system of the 12".

When the BATF comes to save us from all the evil black rifles I'm not sure his little tacticool AR will help you much in the gun fight that will follow them kicking your door in.

My friend I speak of so often built a side fold recently, I checked it out but didn't fire it. Looked cool, but I can't see myself wasting the time and money to have one.

Comment

• CaptnC
          Warrior
          • May 2018

No sir...at 800yds. With a 200yds zero you have roughly -331" of drop...I was using a pretty high BC bullet that I had in the calculator...

Comment

• CaptnC
            Warrior
            • May 2018

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
            Why heck yeah! He “ran the numbers” so it’s gotta be right
            Here you go genius!

Seriously, it's a pretty accurate program...at least here at sea level in the Houston area. I will admit I've mainly only used it to 600yds. That's all I have in known yardages at the range I shoot at. But it works on all chamberings I have.
            Last edited by CaptnC; 05-09-2019, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

https://www.brownells.com/search/ind...submit=y&f_a=1

Brownells carries Faxon barrels...but not any 12.5"...as for your list, anyone, who turns AR barrels, will turn what you want...that does make it the right choice.

"That fourm is for dicussing LONG RANGE not something most would consider a short barreled grendel for doing."

But yet I read on here of 12.5" Grendel being "stupid easy to.make hits on steel at 800 yards"...it's not "stupid easy" to make with a 26" barreled magnum. That is unless your shooting at something the size of an elephant.

I ran some numbers after your last post, just out of curiosity to see the MV of a 12.5"....1,080fps...I can almost throw a snowball at that speed! J/K

But it is getting almost to the speed it moving more vertical than horizontal...ALMOST!

All that said Im not saying a 24" barrel is going to do wondrous things at that distance either, but if I'm going to shoot that far, it will be with something I stand the best chance to do it with!
              Would you like me too start tearing all this drivel apart or would you like too move one too discussions that better suit your intrest?

Well to heck with it I'm going roo tear it apart anyways.

First of all the 800 yard thing is from one member and he probably has more experience shooting what every calls long range then the next 100 people.

If he thinks it's stupid easy it's probably because he is a much better marksman then you are I. Would I shoot 800 yards with my 12 inch grendel? Yes when conditions are perfect I would play with it at 800. Even more so now after hitting at 975 with my 16 inch grendel. Oh and this is a basically sea level since I live roughly 3 hours northeast of you.

The muzzle velocity you posted is cooked data for a very heavy bullet. I will tell you right now I get average 2278 fps with hornady black and 2307 average with my scenar handloads in my xcaliber 12 inch barrel.

The brownells not selling any 12 inch barrel thing. Who cares they don't even sell grendel barrels they sell grendel II not a sammi grendel. But yet you refuse too see that I blow your "nobody makes them statement" out the water already with the list I gave you.

It simple and yet you just can't seem too grasp the idea and concept so let me spell it out for you one more time in the hope the at you will use your reason and learn something.

You don't find it worthwhile, you don't want it, you don't think it should be avalible. Great you stated your point yet again. Now you can move on too things that matter too you.

But too cook velocity data and keep stating that a short barreled grendel doesn't work and has no merit in every short barrel thread well. That's very trolling of you and very spc fanboy of you as well.

So before I end this let me clarify something. I have no personal problems with you and am willing too discuss whatever with you on any thread. But I'm not willing to sit here and let you post false data and continue too post the same old drivel you keep posting in such threads.

So anytime you post too a short barreled grendel thread and try too insert your belive that a grendel cannot or does not work from a short barrel. I'm going too be there too correct you and put facts straight to members that you are trying to convince of those glass statements.

Comment

• CaptnC
                Warrior
                • May 2018

A5B,
                "The muzzle velocity you posted is cooked data for a very heavy bullet. I will tell you right now I get average 2278 fps with hornady black and 2307 average with my scenar handloads in my xcaliber 12 inch barrel."

Damn...you got me...the cooked data of a heavy bullet!

Yes sir! 107gr HPBT. SMK is a monster of a heavy! LOL

I did run it on 2200fps because I have seen that posted several times by the 12.5" gang around here.

Yep, you got me cooking the data with a monster of a heavy bullet.

I wish you could up load pictures in a decent size here. I would have done that just to show what data I did use. I would have also took a screen shot of the guys post on AR 15 web site. He also claimed to have used a 3 or 4 power optic in his post. He has posted a picture of his rifle here. I complimented on how nice of a rifle he had. I also skipped over making comments about the shot. He damn sure could easily be a better shot than me. I'd bet money most guys on the Long Range Forum are.

If my data is any where close...331 feet is 100+yds of drop, so to keep the target in the scope you couldn't crank the scope up too much or you would loose the target.

Take your daily dose of prozac and relax! You get too worked up over nothing. This is supposed to be fun and educational.

Your last post doesn't look like your having much fun!
                Last edited by CaptnC; 05-09-2019, 03:22 PM. Reason: I hate auto correct...lol

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

A5B,
                  "The muzzle velocity you posted is cooked data for a very heavy bullet. I will tell you right now I get average 2278 fps with hornady black and 2307 average with my scenar handloads in my xcaliber 12 inch barrel."

Damn...you got me...the cooked data of a heavy bullet!

Yes sir! 107gr HPBT. SMK is a monster of a heavy! LOL

I did run it on 2200fps because I have seen that posted several times by the 12.5" gang around here.

Yep, you got me cooking the data with a monster of a heavy bullet.

I wish you could up load pictures in a decent size here. I would have done that just to show what data I did use. I would have also took a screen shot of the guys post on AR 15 web site. He also claimed to have used a 3 or 4 power optic in his post. He has posted a picture of his rifle here. I complimented on how nice of a rifle he had. I also skipped over making comments about the shot. He damn sure could easily be a better shot than me. I'd bet money most guys on the Long Range Forum are.

If my data is any where close...331 feet is 100+yds of drop, so to keep the target in the scope you couldn't crank the scope up too much or you would loose the target.

Take your daily dose of prozac and relax! You get too worked up over nothing. This is supposed to be fun and educational.

Your last post doesn't look like your having much fun!
                  No no so now irs 2200 fps, didn't you say it was 1000 something fps the first time?

I find it funny you can't keep your velocity figures straight. I get over 2200 fps with factory hornady and just over 2300 fps average with my scenar 123 grain handloads.

So witch is it 1000 something or 2200 something fps. Your crawfishing now on your numbers.

The fact of the matter is your wrong and that's ok, you don't have to get it, want it or use it. But don't think for one second your not going to get challenge when you post false facts and false data. Of that you can be sure you will get fired back on for.

Since you deem short barrel grendels so useless, why are you in a short barrel thread then? Why do you feel you have too try and convince anyone of your view of short barreled grendels is correct? If you don't want it, simple see yourself to the door and let others discuss what we want and like.

But then again since short barreled rifles are of such lil use why do you have a thread about useing a turd of a round from a short barreled suppressor fitted op rod driven rifle?

You do want that don't you a turd 7.62x39 round from a short barrel? That's what you have a thread going about?

But yet you seem to think and want everyone else to feel the same as you that short barreled grendels aren't worth it. But at the same time the grendel beats the 7.62x39 in any barrel length. Hmmmm kind of sounds strange your ok with a turd of round in short barrels but you feel a much better round has too have longer barrels.

Hmmmmmmmmm very strange.

But that's enough of me ranting and rubbing my skin off everyone can see your just being a troll about this subject. And there is no more use in waiting effort and time too try and get you to understand your free too not post in such threads.

As always I'm willing to discuss anything with anyone and no personal wrong feelings towards you at all your just wrong on all accounts about said subject and yes you did cook your velocity data you posted above.

As always have a wonderful and blessed day.

Comment

• CaptnC
                    Warrior
                    • May 2018

Originally posted by captnc View Post
                    no sir...at 800yds. With a 200yds zero you have roughly -331" of drop...i was using a pretty high bc bullet that i had in the calculator...
                    A5B,
                    Just trying to get you caught up on the conversation.

Your from East Texas huh? Well I will leave that alone!

7.62x39,
                    Like this thread, you need to go back and re-read that thread again too! Do you consider a 16" 7.62x39 a short barrel?

Let me help you...just a little on that one...I already have the rifles in that thread...just trying to pick the best option of what I already have. None of those were bought on purpose, I got them in an Estate sale...so I'm try to get an expert opinion on something I'm not up to speed on.

To be honest...I'm thinking about scraping the 6.8 barrel, side charge, piston rifle. Then replace it with a 6.5 G barrel. If you had joined in the conversation I would have stated that...but my mnd has drifted off that thread on this site.
                    Last edited by CaptnC; 05-09-2019, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

A5B,
                      Just trying to get you caught up on the conversation.

Your from East Texas huh? Well I will leave that alone!

7.62x39,
                      Like this thread, you need to go back and re-read that thread again too! Do you consider a 16" 7.62x39 a short barrel?

Let me help you...just a little on that one...I already have the rifles in that thread...just trying to pick the best option of what I already have. None of those were bought on purpose, I got them in an Estate sale...so I'm try to get an expert opinion on something I'm not up to speed on.

To be honest...I'm thinking about scraping the 6.8 barrel, side charge, piston rifle. Then replace it with a 6.5 G barrel. If you had joined in the conversation I would have stated that...but my mnd has drifted off that thread on this site.
                      Haas you couldn't pay me to live in Texas again. But I do live close enough to see it from my front yard.

Comment

• CaptnC
                        Warrior
                        • May 2018

But yet I read on here of 12.5" Grendel being "stupid easy to.make hits on steel at 800 yards"...it's not "stupid easy" to make with a 26" barreled magnum. That is unless your shooting at something the size of an elephant.

My bad!

Sorry...A5B...I thought I had done a little better job of putting my thoughts together where it was understandable!

If I'm wrong I'm good with saying I am...bad part of doing everything from my phone. ..

Comment

• Forgottenben
                          Bloodstained
                          • Oct 2015

Comment

• Wanderson
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2018

Stainless or regular barrel?
                            Nitride

Comment

• CaptnC
                              Warrior
                              • May 2018

According to another thread I found from another site a 123 pill will drop 289 inches out of a 12.5” at 800 yds with a 100 yard zero.
                              I do all my shooting at 200yds, that was why my data is based on a 200yd zero.

According to the site I linked above the 107 HP SMK BC G1 .430 out of my 24" 6.5 G, running at 2700fps will require 208" of hold over at 800yds at 1312fps...at sea level. In my example above I only substituted the 2200fps and left everything else the same. If I had used A5B's velocity of 2278fps...it wouldn't change it a ton from 331" of hold over.

It's a poke in an ones book! IMO doing this with hold over vs dialing up the shot...hold over is hugely more difficult.
                              Last edited by CaptnC; 05-10-2019, 03:35 AM.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                                Chieftain
                                • Oct 2016

I do all my shooting at 200yds, that was why my data is based on a 200yd zero.

According to the site I linked above the 107 HP SMK BC G1 .430 out of my 24" 6.5 G, running at 2700fps will require 208" of hold over at 800yds at 1312fps...at sea level. In my example above I only substituted the 2200fps and left everything else the same. If I had used A5B's velocity of 2278fps...it wouldn't change it a ton from 331" of hold over.

It's a poke in an ones book! IMO doing this with hold over vs dialing up the shot...hold over is hugely more difficult.

Cap - shoot it at 800 and report back. Hell, you shoot 600, go do that and report back. You're a keyboard warrior, here and on your calculation. We here are all about Grendel because it's proven it's abilities - and the rest of us heathens are waiting for you. With open arms, a beer, and a chair at the fireside. You'll be welcome, and soon enough loving your own short barrelled Grendel with us, calling out those nay sayers who just can't believe the hype.

Here in the real world, I shoot my 18" Grendel at 800, and if I do my part, its point and shoot on an IPSC all day long. Stupid easy. I quit shooting at the ipsic because it's no challenge. My 12.7" just requires a bit more elevation, same story. Come on over. I'll show you.
                                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                                X