• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VictusKeld
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2019

Originally posted by kpswihart View Post
    After 20+ years as an leo, sometimes actions or statements draw my attention. This wording did just that.
    My apologies if I said something inappropriate. Was the issue only with the backpack example or all three? In retrospect, I suppose I should have said small or compact instead, or perhaps changed the example entirely to laptop case or something similar. I just thought about random items in my household that it could fit in. Cry Havoc, a company that has contracts selling the adapters to the Air Force, has a video on YT that show one in a soft-case Batman/Superman lunchbox, talk about a red flag!

Takedown firearms have always seemed "cool" to me; maybe it's my inner operator wannabe coming out. From current firearm offerings, and even from the old ads for toys like Secret Sam back in the mid 60s, I'm not alone. I am genuinely sorry if what I said was inappropriate though.

Edited: to remove grammatical errors.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by VictusKeld View Post
      Thanks for all of the input everyone. I genuinely do appreciate it.

Those Lilja barrels seem like a good option. I'll keep following that thread for updates and try to see what prices would look like from rebby. Do you think the Lilja would do well with light steel-cased stuff? Is it overkill in terms of quality? How would that compare to the 11.5" AA barrel?

The main motivation for the takedown feature is a much higher level of possible portability and concealment. I estimate that an upper with a 12" barrel would be a little over 21" long, depending on how the barrel extension overlap plays out in reality, whereas the takedown options shorten that to 14" or so overall length for the longest part. For regular use, that probably doesn't matter very much. But I really like the idea of being able to fit a firearm as capable as a Grendel AR into a tackle box, child's backpack, or perhaps even a large purse.

That's probably just me, and that's ok. I'm not really sold on that aspect of the build yet anyway. I'm mostly curious about matching the "right" barrel and bolt for the ammo. I'm not expecting incredible accuracy or anything, maybe reliably under 3 MOA. Under 2 would be magical dream land expectations.

LRRPF52, was it the inaccuracy of the MGI system that turned you off to those styles of systems? I was hoping that being able to pick my own barrel would alleviate a good chunk of that. Also, the Havoc appears to have a sturdier lockup than the Hydra did. LaRue's PredatOBR seems to do pretty well with a takedown system. Maybe, I'm just fooling myself though. Also, it's easy to say now but, the weight increase isn't a big deal to me.
      I started out just seeing what it would do with initial load development for velocity, as I was more focused on velocity at that time. I think it was still in that configuration when I let some of my nephews shoot it with AA 90gr TNT loads at 300yds on some 12" steel poppers, which it flattened with ease 1st-round hits for them.

I was mainly shooting .260 Rem out of a large frame at the time for all my LR work, while Grendel was just a side interest I was playing with in hopes to have a lighter rifle for military Sniper team competitions conducted in field settings, no KD ranges. Once I started to see how easy it was for a new shooter to get on the rifle and make 1st round hits, I decided to put it in a dedicated upper and not mess with the Quick Barrel Change system anymore.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• wideglidejoe
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2014

You are correct on your assumption of an upper w/12.5" bbl being just a hair over 21" when removed from a lower. If you have a LAW folder on that same lower, the overall length is now 23"; is it worth separating the upper & lower for 2"? Granted, if you go with a takedown system, you might get to that 14" you mentioned, or get close. And, as LRRPF52 has already mentioned, the LAW adds some weight, and when folded it is "thick", approx. 4.5".

I have a Ballistic Advantage 12.5" bbl pistol with the Gamma V6 ( I think that's what it's called?) and my upper is a hair over 21". I have a LAW folder on it, and a Tailhook brace behind that. I carry it in my truck in a Wilson tennis racket bag. I just don't want anyone looking in my truck window in a parking lot and see a case that screams "gun!" Even tho' it's in a tennis racket bag, I still try to keep it out of sight. Sometimes I think about taking the LAW off and just having the Tailhook on the pistol tube.

Comment

Working...
        X