• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bronz View Post
    I have. That’s all that’s been through it. Never a problem.

I have found two split cases and I have had a bolt with a sheared lug. Probably 500 to 600 hundred rds. through it. I just can’t shoot fast to get the barrel and chamber very hot at my range.

I have fired 80+ rds through it consecutively and did get the barrel smoking.
    Bronz:

Shearing a bolt lug at 500 rounds is not good and not acceptable.

If this is one of those CQB sorts of affairs, a guy will shoot that much in one day and going through a lot of ammo per exercise is common.

My advice is for him to contact the place and find out what 5.56 carbine and ammo they have found to last a course without destroying itself and use that combination.

LR55

Comment

• lazyengineer
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
      I have seen numerous split steel 6.5 Grendel cases. The split is always lengthwise in the body. I?ve seen split cases from several different rifles and never encountered a problem in the chamber. I wonder if the cases are splitting on impact with the deflector or ejection port opening while still hot. Personally I have seen so many split steel 6.5 Grendel cases I don?t worry about it anymore. Now if I had a split case with brass I definitely take notice. ....
      Wow, I've never heard this. I've shot about 700 rounds or so of steel and haven't observed this problem, but I haven't actually spent a lot of time looking either. I'll start looking more closely.
      4x P100

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

It's not uncommon. I'm guessing there's a hard spot in the steel when it gets formed, and stresses being what they are during the extrusion process, it makes a longitudinal weak "seam" in the case. I've never heard of any real damage or negative effect. I've had two, both neck splits, both longitudinal. Both cases were found later, after looking through the cases for evidence of scratching or other issues. Both were surprises, after the fact, and there is no evidence inside the nitrided chamber of any burning/erosion. I'd guestimate it's not much of an issue, and happens more than folks know.
        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
        X