• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dsbarrios1
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2023

New 6.5G Build and Pierced Primers

Hey guys, Im needing some assistance and hopefully I can find the right answers. I just built a 6.5G and I have a problem with it Flattening the primers and pierced Primers. I have a Aero Precision Lower with a Kynshot 5000 Hydraulic Buffer, BCA 16" upper with a seekins Adjustable gas block and a Odin Works Atlas 7 Compensator. At first I thought it was my ammo which isnt the best in the world, PPU Rifle Line 120gr, but then I switched to Hornady Black 123 gr and only 1 pierced primer out of 30 rounds but the primers were still flat. I plan on removing the 3 key changes and add 1 by 1, Buffer, Gas Block, and comp, to see if I can see a difference in the spent cases. When I first built the gun I never bothered to notice if I was having this issue as the thing had alot of recoil and decided to replace the above items. Any thoughts on where my issue may lie?Primer 1.jpgPrimer 2.jpg
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by dsbarrios1 View Post
    Hey guys, Im needing some assistance and hopefully I can find the right answers. I just built a 6.5G and I have a problem with it Flattening the primers and pierced Primers. I have a Aero Precision Lower with a Kynshot 5000 Hydraulic Buffer, BCA 16" upper with a seekins Adjustable gas block and a Odin Works Atlas 7 Compensator. At first I thought it was my ammo which isnt the best in the world, PPU Rifle Line 120gr, but then I switched to Hornady Black 123 gr and only 1 pierced primer out of 30 rounds but the primers were still flat. I plan on removing the 3 key changes and add 1 by 1, Buffer, Gas Block, and comp, to see if I can see a difference in the spent cases. When I first built the gun I never bothered to notice if I was having this issue as the thing had alot of recoil and decided to replace the above items. Any thoughts on where my issue may lie?[ATTACH=CONFIG]19906[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19907[/ATTACH]
    Check head space, firing pin protrusion and the bolt face firing pin I.D.

Firing pin protrusion should be .028 to .036..

Bolt face firing pin I.D. or hole should be .065 + or - .001

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

dsb,

Along with checking those measurements as Montana has prescribed can you tell us your load please. I ask this because there is cratering in some of the primers that have not pierced. Flattened, pierced, and cratered primers are classic symptoms of over-pressure. The unusual aspect here is the pierced primer in the Hornady factory ammo. Factory ammo should not be over-pressure, unless something else has caused the pressure to display at the primer.

Changing out the gas system is unlikely to help as the damage on show is caused before the bullet reaches the gas port. Whatever is causing this can also occur in bolt guns.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Hey guys, Im needing some assistance and hopefully I can find the right answers. I just built a 6.5G and I have a problem with it Flattening the primers and pierced Primers. I have a Aero Precision Lower with a Kynshot 5000 Hydraulic Buffer, BCA 16" upper with a seekins Adjustable gas block and a Odin Works Atlas 7 Compensator. At first I thought it was my ammo which isnt the best in the world, PPU Rifle Line 120gr, but then I switched to Hornady Black 123 gr and only 1 pierced primer out of 30 rounds but the primers were still flat. I plan on removing the 3 key changes and add 1 by 1, Buffer, Gas Block, and comp, to see if I can see a difference in the spent cases. When I first built the gun I never bothered to notice if I was having this issue as the thing had alot of recoil and decided to replace the above items. Any thoughts on where my issue may lie?[ATTACH=CONFIG]19906[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19907[/ATTACH]
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

52 feeling a little salty today

All joking aside, he is absolutely right. When purchasing uppers, lowers, parts, (especially the barrel and BCG), potential customers should make sure the business they intend to give their money to has a good reputation for quality and warranty..

Comment

• dsbarrios1
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2023

Comment

• dsbarrios1
                Unwashed
                • Aug 2023

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

The buffer, gas block and muzzle compensator has nothing to do with pierced primers.. You need to send it back in or have some one with knowledge check your rifle over..

The primers will pierce based on a combination of three factors. There can be different causes for each of these factors..

Case pressure
                  Primer type/ thickness
                  Firing pin hole fit

I would take any reviews on line (especially from the manufacture) with a large dose of salt, case in point...

Last edited by montana; 08-26-2023, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

What were the temperatures when you had all the pierced primers? I just re-read you post and noticed this:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• dsbarrios1
                      Unwashed
                      • Aug 2023

Comment

• Zeneffect
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2020

I agree that the headspace or firing pin is out of spec. Having recently gone through cheap stuff with nothing but frustration I stumbled across an addage that really hit home and applies to this situation as well. "Only a rich man can afford a cheap scope" replace scope with upper in your case. Cheap is OK if you have the tools knowledge and experience to and inspect yourself, and fix yourself if needed... otherwise you will waste money on return shipping and lose time... or worse get injured.
                        Only the rich can afford that crap.
                        Last edited by Zeneffect; 08-26-2023, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• dsbarrios1
                            Unwashed
                            • Aug 2023

Good words of wisdom Zen, this has definitely been a lesson learned.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2017

HANDGUN AMMUNITION · RIFLE AMMUNITION · RELOADING COMPONENTS
                              Last edited by Harpoon1; 08-26-2023, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X