Bullpup Lovers, a Sneak Peak at Something New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing that speaks very loudly to me about nations that issue bullpups as their standard service rifles, is when I witness what their Special Operations Forces choose to carry, when given the leeway to select weapons from a much wider pool of sources. I'll talk about Australia, and the UK as two interesting studies.

The Australian SAS, which is highly regarded among their foreign coalition SOF peers, produces a very high caliber of soldier, with a grueling selection and training program fueled by the moon surface-like terrain of the continent. The Australian Defence Forces standrad issue F88 Austeyr is a licensed manufacture Steyr AUG. The Australian SAS chooses to carry......M4A1.

British SAS: One of the original users of the Colt Model 601 AR15 back when the L1A1 was still a standard service rifle for the UK. As soon as the commando variants started becoming available, the SAS began using them, in addition to AR15's with M203's. The Diemeco variants have been in use for quite some time.

British SBS: Same story. They are particularly fond of the Colt Commando variants.

France is currently looking for a replacement for the colossal disaster known as the FAMAS. Imagine firing 5.56 without a locking mechanism, and you have the FAMAS.

I'm a big fan of the bullpup in concept, but I have yet to see all its challenges conquered, while providing common features that professional soldiers expect in an infantry shoulder-fired arm.

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      The thing that speaks very loudly to me about nations that issue bullpups as their standard service rifles, is when I witness what their Special Operations Forces choose to carry, when given the leeway to select weapons from a much wider pool of sources. I'll talk about Australia, and the UK as two interesting studies.

The Australian SAS, which is highly regarded among their foreign coalition SOF peers, produces a very high caliber of soldier, with a grueling selection and training program fueled by the moon surface-like terrain of the continent. The Australian Defence Forces standrad issue F88 Austeyr is a licensed manufacture Steyr AUG. The Australian SAS chooses to carry......M4A1.

British SAS: One of the original users of the Colt Model 601 AR15 back when the L1A1 was still a standard service rifle for the UK. As soon as the commando variants started becoming available, the SAS began using them, in addition to AR15's with M203's. The Diemeco variants have been in use for quite some time.

British SBS: Same story. They are particularly fond of the Colt Commando variants.

France is currently looking for a replacement for the colossal disaster known as the FAMAS. Imagine firing 5.56 without a locking mechanism, and you have the FAMAS.

I'm a big fan of the bullpup in concept, but I have yet to see all its challenges conquered, while providing common features that professional soldiers expect in an infantry shoulder-fired arm.
      I was wondering if you have heard anything on the performance of the Chinese QBZ-95 rifle firing the 5.8X42 round. It is supposedly have been used in the Sir Lankan war and the Thai- Cambodian dispute?

Comment

• waveslayer
        Warrior
        • Jan 2013

Can't wait to see the new Desert Tactical semi auto at SHOT

Comment

• explorecaves

Comment

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
              Warrior
              • Apr 2013

What's the chance that one of the 5 interchangeable calibers will be the 6.5mm Grendel? http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/deser...014-shot-show/

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                Warrior
                • Apr 2013

Back to the Kel-Tec M43:

http://olegvolk.net/blog/2014/01/29/...in-6-5grendel/

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

S-N-S

Why are you always yelling?...LOL
                  LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                  Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Fieldstrip video

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2013

Bigfoot,

Thanks for the video! The glimpse of the Bolt prompted me to research a close-up of the Breech design:

Comment

• ThatRandomGuy
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2013

Peek at the OP Kel-Tec rifles closer to production, at 2:40 Kel-Tec rep claims they have working 6.5 Grendel prototype. RDB actually doesn't look terrible, m43 pretty ugly, both just IMO of course. Could be an interesting range toy.

Comment

Working...
                        X