• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PrecisionFirearms
    Warrior
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
    Based on the conversations I have been reading, Saturn (and PTG) does not believe the throat is part of the spec. Therefor if you want to guarantee a true 6.5 Grendel SAAMI spec chamber, your best bet is to send it to PF for correction.
    Dave at PTG did not make any such claim. PTG did NOT provide Saturn with any 6.5 Grendel or similar reamers. He sent me both the SAAMI and Grendel II reamer drawings. The throat dimensions are on both. He and I had a 2 hour conversation recently and he doesn't understand why he is being blamed for the Liberty barrel issues when he never made the reamers. He sells both. Evidently Hornady had a hand in the Grendel II reamer design which basically the same as the 264LBC.

I am not taking up for Dave at PTG just because we use his reamers (although I have 26 of his reamers). He did say he talked to someone on the phone and tried to explain why the Grendel II in his opinion is better. He emphasized "in his Opinion", since we have had this conversation before and he knows I like the SAAMI Grendel. The Grendel II reamers are marked Grendel II. But it is not right to drag him into this issue when he didn't make the reamers. He knows who made them and I will decline to state who is was (Not going to stir the fire more). PTG, however, is trying to help Saturn correct the problem. Again a problem he had no hand in making.
    "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• rickOshay
      Warrior
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by PrecisionFirearms View Post
      Dave at PTG did not make any such claim. PTG did NOT provide Saturn with any 6.5 Grendel or similar reamers. He sent me both the SAAMI and Grendel II reamer drawings. The throat dimensions are on both. He and I had a 2 hour conversation recently and he doesn't understand why he is being blamed for the Liberty barrel issues when he never made the reamers. He sells both. Evidently Hornady had a hand in the Grendel II reamer design which basically the same as the 264LBC.

I am not taking up for Dave at PTG just because we use his reamers (although I have 26 of his reamers). He did say he talked to someone on the phone and tried to explain why the Grendel II in his opinion is better. He emphasized "in his Opinion", since we have had this conversation before and he knows I like the SAAMI Grendel. The Grendel II reamers are marked Grendel II. But it is not right to drag him into this issue when he didn't make the reamers. He knows who made them and I will decline to state who is was (Not going to stir the fire more). PTG, however, is trying to help Saturn correct the problem. Again a problem he had no hand in making.
      +1

I also had a nice long conversation with Dave at PTG. He told me the same regarding the Liberty barrels - NOT his reamer.

He also confirmed that the Lilja Barrels were not made with Grendel II reamers - contradicting another rumor out there.
      Last edited by rickOshay; 03-08-2014, 11:03 PM.

Comment

The statement that the throat is not part of the SAAMI spec is incredulous to me, when you can clearly see it right there on the SAAMI diagram. Why would someone make that statement, especially a barrel or reamer maker?

Makes you wonder if XCR's sole purpose in life was to start a circular firing squad within the Grendel market.

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by PrecisionFirearms View Post

I think it is noteworthy that Kiff says he did NOT provide Satern with their reamers. That seems contrary to some claims made elsewhere on this forum and seems odd he would enter the fray by insinuating that the SAAMI Grendel has "poor performance"...

Originally posted by Everrest View Post
          I believe the comment are from Dave. Checking the PTG site for reamers and they list:

"6.5 Grendel II (Better Than SAAMI)
          This 6.5 Grendel 2 reamer is manufactured to high specifications than SAAMI...."

"6.5 Grendel SAAMI (Poor performance)"
          Here is comment from email attributed to Steve Satern:

We buy the reamers from PTG and JGS, and they have the print from SAAMI and that's what we follow.
          - http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post83844
          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

I'm just waiting for this to all blow over and for reamer and barrel makers to deliver chambered barrels that adhere to 6.5 Grendel SAAMI when they're LABELED 6.5 Grendel. I'll never buy anything but the real-deal, SAAMI compound throat; it's the right answer, an innovative answer, to the problem. As ingenious as the 6.5 Grendel itself.

AND, while I'm at it, can I ask that barrel makers have the integrity to replace worn reamers as soon as they deviate from cutting an in-spec part?

Finally, as with the .308 and .223 and myriad others, I'd say that the increasing proliferation of variant chambers that feed 6.5 Grendel cartridges is backhanded proof that it has ARRIVED.

John
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• seatleroadwr

I bought a PTG throat reamer to extend the throat of a 6.6 CSS. It worked very well. the barrel has lower pressure and higher velocity than the original throat configuration.

Comment

If a chamber was off from a worn reamer what would be the best way to make it right.
                Would the Tubbs Final Finish work or have it rebored with a new reamer be better if you want to stick with the compound throat.
                Is there away that doesn't cost so much that you wished you would have bought a different barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by fanofflyn View Post
                  I can't even get Satern to call me back. I have had a barrel on order with them for two years.
                  And I was being nice, and I own their barrels.
                  cancel your order. Order from mark at PF. You will get it a lot sooner. Don't waiste yoour time hoping Satern will answer the phone. Get a bartlein or Krieger from precision Firearms.
                  You will get better customer service and help from PF.

Bartlein or krieger are just as good if not better than satern
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2014, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Would it be easier if there were a way to separate the discussion of what look like two separate issues involving these chambers (& throats, free bores)? One is the difference between purposeful design and standards of the 6.5 Grendel (SAAMI) and the LBC/Grendel II/etc. The second has to do with short throats and what appears to be manufacturing or possibly design error and the resulting after sales and service issues from some vendors.

I currently favor SAAMI and expect specific designation of 6.5 Grendel when I buy if that is what I order. If, and maybe when, I am an LBC fan I expect the same there.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2011

I'm closing these kinds of threads for about a week because they've been discussed here ad nauseum and are wasting both mindshare and bandwidth.

Sincere quests for knowledge, of course, will be happily addressed.

John
                      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                      X