X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • randomwally
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2016

Was a little drunk and annoyed last night. I should also say the magazine does seem to feed well and being able to carry 10 rounds is handier than keeping loose rounds to top up a small mag all the time. It would be functionally tolerable except for the mag release location.

All I want is the same kind of metal trigger guard and hinged floor plate arrangement that's been standard on the short and long action Howas since forever. If they add too much to the cost of the standard rifle, at least offer them as a standard factory part.

Problem is it gets really expensive to get one or a small run of floorplates prototyped and made up. Realistically may end up costing more than the rifle itself to get a one-off made. And who knows how long until a third party manufacturer or Howa finally fix the problem, then add in the time it takes for products to reach Australia, maybe another 6 months to a year.

Comment

• adamjp
      Warrior
      • Oct 2014

Sadly, the fact that the Howa DBM is a crap design makes no difference to LSI and Howa rifles.

The only solution is more design and less marketing.

Comment

• FW Conch
        Warrior
        • Nov 2014

I greatly simplified My shooting life years ago when I went single shot on all my bolt rifles. If I wanted to be a lead slinger, My first choice would be an AK. I don't even see the justification for a 10 round mag, much less the abality to dump the mag in a instant. Does a guy who wants a micro action bolt rifle want to use it like a AR or an AK? I'm not going to be using the Grendel for dangerous game, and I don't expect to need 10 rounds to stop a charging white tail. The guys that insist on desert tan shooting clothes, $300 sun glasses, gloves?, the latest ball cap, will probably have a different opinion. I guess some people buy rifles because of this stuff?

A center stack option could lower cost, and allow guys like Me to simply insert a single shot follower.

JMHO...Jim :-)

Comment

• Drift
          Warrior
          • Nov 2014

I dono about a DBM being all bad. Maybe it's a little bad. The DBM on my CZ 527 is just fine. A long banana clip on an AR AK FN are no fun to hunt with. Are you guys who are bothered by a DBM that sticks down equally bothered by scope that sticks up?

Comment

• xlcc
            Warrior
            • Feb 2016

It would be my preference to have a floor plate rather than a detachable magazine for use as a hunting rifle

Comment

• randomwally
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2016

The mag sits pretty close to the balance point of the rifle, where I naturally want to hold it. This would be merely annoying, except the mag release sits proud and in front of the mag, making it very easy to release accidentally. Unlike a scope, it adds very little extra functionality over a flush floorplate that has been standard on Howa short and long action rifles for ages. So yeah a scope is kind of annoying but adds a lot of value, this mag design is very annoying and adds very little value to a hunting rifle.

Comment

• adamjp
                Warrior
                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by randomwally View Post
                The mag sits pretty close to the balance point of the rifle, where I naturally want to hold it. This would be merely annoying, except the mag release sits proud and in front of the mag, making it very easy to release accidentally. Unlike a scope, it adds very little extra functionality over a flush floorplate that has been standard on Howa short and long action rifles for ages. So yeah a scope is kind of annoying but adds a lot of value, this mag design is very annoying and adds very little value to a hunting rifle.
                And it is that balance point when carrying a rifle one handed that the DBM systems get in the way of.

The Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel with the lightweight and standard barrels will make a great hunting rifle, except for the DBM system getting in your way.

Comment

• Wild Geese 1
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by adamjp View Post
                  And it is that balance point when carrying a rifle one handed that the DBM systems get in the way of.

The Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel with the lightweight and standard barrels will make a great hunting rifle, except for the DBM system getting in your way.
                  I understand that for your use you would rather not have a detachable magazine, and of course that is totally up to you. But on the other side of the coin I will be buying two of the mini rifles one in 6.5 Grendel, and one in 7.62X39 when they are available, one of the reasons I will be buying two is that they have detachable magazines, and between the two calibers the magazines are possibly interchangeable.

Comment

• Stevil
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2015

Very good review at both the accuracy of the Mini and its length of legs

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Thanks Stevil nice read.

Im not bashing the guy I just think a few things dont add up to me.

If your getting payed to test a rifle and round that is designed to shoot long range, why do you not test it with a better scope and at those ranges.

But then turn around and test a round that is not designed for longer range work with a better scope at longer ranges.

Seems kind of, I dont know how to say it nicely, Set Up.

Im not saying this because I love the grendel, but because it seems ovious to me, you have a long range designed caliber rifle but choose not to test it at long range.

Then state that the 7.62x39 is good for hunting, (and it is not going aginst that at all) but also state the grendel is good for varmits and not state the ovious its a better designed round for hunting.

Maybe im reading into something that aint there.

Rant over.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                        Thanks Stevil nice read.

Im not bashing the guy I just think a few things dont add up to me.

If your getting payed to test a rifle and round that is designed to shoot long range, why do you not test it with a better scope and at those ranges.

But then turn around and test a round that is not designed for longer range work with a better scope at longer ranges.

Seems kind of, I dont know how to say it nicely, Set Up.

Im not saying this because I love the grendel, but because it seems ovious to me, you have a long range designed caliber rifle but choose not to test it at long range.

Then state that the 7.62x39 is good for hunting, (and it is not going aginst that at all) but also state the grendel is good for varmits and not state the ovious its a better designed round for hunting.

Maybe im reading into something that aint there.

Rant over.
                        What you wanna bet that guy is a big 6late fan. He definitely downplayed the Grendel.
                        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Stevil
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2015

Yep Im reading it the same as ypu Rabbidawg, he clearly under estimated the lil ole Grendel and then decided to get all long range sniper n shit with the dumplin 7.62. Made a nice change readin that article

Comment

• zekers7
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2016

any word on release date for this rifle?

Comment

• Kilco
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2016

I believe a few retailers have it in stock now!

Comment

• lrgrendel
                                Warrior
                                • Jul 2013

Has anyone done any load work ups yet?
                                Throat/chamber info. Is mag length near the "lands" etc.
                                Put any rounds through a chrono?? Velocities, SD's and ES's

Any info would be great.

Comment

Working...
                                X