Bolt Action Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sniper20 View Post
    That would be awesome, but if I'm going to spend that much on a rig, then I'm going to go with something bigger so I can really reach out and touch someone... From what I have read/seen I think I am going to look for a bolt 6.5 Creedmoor or maybe something like the .260. I think the Creedmoor is in my favor as I'm a ginormous Hornady fan... So I think I gotta stick with what works for me.
    Give the Savage 12LRP in either 6.5 Creedmore or .260 Remy a look. Fortier ran a stock 6.5 Creed. with Hornaday factory ammo thru its paces and got something stupid like a .3 or .4 print at 100. You can get them on Gunbroker for under 900 new.

Comment

Originally posted by patdaly View Post
      Give the Savage 12LRP in either 6.5 Creedmore or .260 Remy a look. Fortier ran a stock 6.5 Creed. with Hornaday factory ammo thru its paces and got something stupid like a .3 or .4 print at 100. You can get them on Gunbroker for under 900 new.
      Add to that a decent scope and you get awful close to the $1500 bwaites suggested!

Comment

I would be interested to see a model 10 with this on it:

I think something like that would be great for what I use... (hunting and target).

Comment

It is not out on the market yet but it will be soon

Comment

Definitely sexy as stated in the video... What are the specs on that? What is the weight as well as the price (projected anyway) if you don't mind me asking... Anywhere I can read more on it?

Comment

I asked them for more info. The message I got back said: We have put you on an email list. Once we are ready to provide more info. You will receive an email...

Innovative and patented outdoor gear designs from a veteran and Olympian with unrivaled versatility and durability. Eberlestock modular systems are built for the dedicated outdoorsman, the tactical operator, and the shooting enthusiast. Get Out There •••

Comment

Originally posted by patdaly View Post
                The Creedmore limits you to one source of brass...Hornady. I like Hornady products, and use them a lot. When it comes to brass, there are much better out there, so .260 Rem has much more appeal to the hand-loader, unless you can afford to load 1-time and throw the Hornady brass away. I get .3-.4 MOA accuracy with my .260 Auto-loader shooting 5-round groups, not 3-round, and any custom barrel/action/ammunition combination will yield sub 1/2 MOA loads in any of the (3) 6.5mm cartridges derived from the .308..i.e., the .260 Rem, 6.5x47 Lapua, and 6.5 Creedmoor. If you were to choose one of these over the .260 Rem, the Lapua would be the way to go, as it sucks less powder, and yields impressive velocities with its higher pressure limitations than either.

My partner had a custom RPA built in 6.5x47 Lapua, with a 25" barrel, and gets over 3000fps pushing the 140gr Berger VLD's. As I spotted for him in our last competition, he made numerous, consecutive, 1st-round hits on man-sized pop-up silhouettes at 900m in coastal wind conditions like it was fun with that rifle...truly impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  The Creedmore limits you to one source of brass...Hornady.
                  Can't you convert .308 brass to the 6.5 CM? I have also heard excellent reviews on the 6.5x47 Laupa. What would the price difference be? Obviously the bullets are the same, but what is a good gun to get that cal in? What is the popularity in hunting applications? I know they are great for target, but target rifles don't always make good hunting rifles...

Comment

Can't you convert .308 brass to the 6.5 CM? I have also heard excellent reviews on the 6.5x47 Laupa. What would the price difference be? Obviously the bullets are the same, but what is a good gun to get that cal in? What is the popularity in hunting applications? I know they are great for target, but target rifles don't always make good hunting rifles...
                    Of course you can, but it's extra effort.

Further, unless you are worried about a trivial difference in barrel life, the added volume, availability of .260 ammunition and cases would seem to overwhelm the 6.5 Creedmore -- unless your really want to shoot the longer bullets seated way out and load from the magazine.

Hornady found a way to let you do that and still have close to .260 Rem ballistics by using their Superformance magic. Duplicating those ballistics with components available to handloaders may be a bit of a challenge.

Comment

I love Hornady products.

I have the Hornady's 8th edition reloading book next to me. A 140gr bullet both 24in barrel 7.5 twist rate Primer WSR Cases Hornady top speed with .260 is 2700fps with all 8 powder brand listed.

6.5 creedmoor is 2725fps with 4 powder brand listed out of 13. 6.5 Creedmoor is 2700fps with 7 powder brand listed out of 13. 6.5 Creedmoor is 2650fps with 10 out of 13. And 2600fps with 13 out of 13. From the same Hornady book 6.5 Creedmoor with superformance powder is 44.7gr for a top speed of 2700fps. Similar data with 129gr, 160gr, 123gr and 95-100gr bullets. Up here in Canada the 6.5 Creemore is gone from the stores.

My choice .260R all the way and I will not look behing my shoulder. Case closed for me.

Editing: Before someone ask, the 6.5 Grendel was tested with a 14.5 barrel on an AR platform. They did tested the 140gr bullets but Quote We found that in our 14.5in test barrel that muzzle velocities of the 140gr bullets dipped low enough to preclude adequate terminal performance and for that reason we chose not to include data for the 140gr bullets. end of quote.
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2011, 06:48 PM. Reason: twist rate added

Comment

You don't need to use .308 brass, but yes, you can, with neck-trimming. Or, you could start with the parent case, the 30 TC, and neck that down. There are no issues with loading .260 Rem to 2.800" for mag-length, since all the 140gr VLD projectiles fit in it fine. I really think the 6.5 Creedmoor was more of a "Hey, we have a 6.5-08 too!" Kinda deal. There really aren't any performance advantages that I can see to warrant its existence over the .260 Rem and 6.5x47 Lapua.

You can chamber the Lapua in anything you want, short-action wise in a hunter configuration, and brass is also single-source, very expensive, but extremely durable.

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          You don't need to use .308 brass, but yes, you can, with neck-trimming. Or, you could start with the parent case, the 30 TC, and neck that down. There are no issues with loading .260 Rem to 2.800" for mag-length, since all the 140gr VLD projectiles fit in it fine. I really think the 6.5 Creedmoor was more of a "Hey, we have a 6.5-08 too!" Kinda deal. There really aren't any performance advantages that I can see to warrant its existence over the .260 Rem and 6.5x47 Lapua.

You can chamber the Lapua in anything you want, short-action wise in a hunter configuration, and brass is also single-source, very expensive, but extremely durable.
                          The real sales pitch for the Creedmoor was that it was a target rifle for guys who didn't reload, with a competitive factory load and the recipe printed right on the box. That way you knew how to load what was a known quantity. Interestingly, of the people I've talked to, the factory load really did shoot well, and many claimed consistent .5MOA groups from factory loads.

I like the Lapua the most, because from what I can tell, the cartridge is a little more efficient than the .260 so far as powder loads go, but I would buy a .260, because of the availability of factory ammo and, now, Lapua brass.

Its the only AR-10 I actually want.

Comment

• justified
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2011

The American Rifleman reviewed the Savage Lightweight hunter in 6.5 Creedmore this month. (November Edition) Light at 5.5 lbs and has the accutrigger. Hard to beat at an MSRP of around $700.

I'm thinking about one of these for a walking/stalking hunting rifle.

Comment

Why waitin til November

Ordered one this morning. Dont know went I'll get it.

Thanks Justified
                              Oh almost forgot caliber is .260R
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2011, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• jonbearman

Yes savage does make a rifle in 7.62x39 in two versions and all you have to do is change the barrel.I would contact northland shooters supply and ask for jim briggs.He is a sponser on savage shooters forum,he sells 3 different barrel companys to choose from.He has shilen and criterion(kreigers button rifling div.) and mcgowen.It is better to call him.He is listed under the commercial sponsers pages.

Comment

Working...
                                X