Bolt Action Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, my first post on this new version of the forum.

Firstly I'm in Australia, so my Grendel will be a bolt gun, AR-15s are not legal here. I've been planning a Grendel for the last two years and have had all the pieces sitting ready since January this year. I've been waiting for my gunsmith to get legal at his new address (he changed states and has to reapply for dealer licences). Good gunsmiths are not that common here in Australia.

I've just started a semi-custom build using a Zastava m85 action (aka Mini Mauser or Rem799). So far I've lapped the lugs and that is all. I have a couple of other rifles on these actions (6/223 and 6PPC) and am very familiar with how to slick them.

PacNor No.3 stainless select barrel and a 6.5 BPC reamer trimmed to 21in in length.

Stock by Bell & Carlson, not as light as I'd like, but solid and a good shape.

Custom picatinney rail and a Kahles 2-7 sitting on top.

Lapua brass, Forster Dies with a Redding 6mm PPC bushing neck die holding a 276 bushing.

Should be finished in January, just in time for me to do load development in the hotest time of the year. I'm really looking forward to getting it, more so than the tricked Rem700 switchbarrel (6.5x47 Lapua and 7mm SAUM) he is building for me at the same time.

I plan on using what is sold as H4895 and Varget (AR2206H and AR2208 here) and will be loading for 108gn Scenars (paper), 100gn TTSX for deer/goats/pigs and and 95gn VMAX for small fluffy critters (rabbit/fox).
    Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2011, 01:57 AM.

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

I would love a 6.5 Grendel in a Browning A-Bolt or Ruger M77MKII.

Comment

Joining the Bandwagon, how about a Savage Weather Warrior in 6.5 Grendel?

Comment

I would love the savage, but I don't like the barrels they have. I am one for a bull barrel. I just don't like the thinner barrels... They need to make the BAS-K series in a 6.5 (CM or Grendel...) Yes, you can re-barrel it, but I like the beefy look they have.

Comment

You mentioned a bull barrel. Is that the reason you don't like the Savage barrels, or is there an accuracy or longevity issue we need to be concerned about?

Comment

Savage does offer bull barrels

Comment

No, I LOVE my savage. I have the BAS in 308 and she is accurate as can be. Only had it for a few years, so no word on the longevity. I would like to see them bring out a few more caliber choices with different models though. I think the Creedmoor is going to be a huge hit (that is a whole other can of worms, and has been discussed on other threads), and I might be in the market for one. But about the only gun that I like so far is the Ruger target series. I have seen some Savages in the 6.5 (forget the model) but I want to see more. I'm not sure why they call the BAS model "law enforcement" as they are huge and bulky, but that is my favorite model so far. I would like to see those chambered in a 6.5.
                Last edited by Guest; 11-03-2011, 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Why the interest in a Grendel in an action much larger than you need? IMHO it is at it's best in the little actions.

If you are going to use a Savage, Ruger, Remington, Browning 308 sized action just go with the 6.5x47 Lapua (far better brass than the US copy Creedmore). It would be like putting a Grendel in an AR-10/SR-25 type rifle.

A 6.5x47 Lap will throw a 120gn Prohunter at 3000fps from a 24in barrel, 2800 from a 20in barrel. My two 6.5 Lap rifles (Model 70 bullbarrel & Ruger No.1 RSI) are awesome riflesand work very nice on the range and in the field. Even a 260Rem would be a nice choice, particularly if you want to throw the 140gn+ class of bullets.

Comment

My (convulated) thought process as to why I have a Grendel in a (little bit) longer action than necessary goes somthing like this. (1) I allready had long actions 6.5s (x55 and 06) (2) I allready had a Grendel with dies bullets ect. (3) I had a short action surplus to needs. (4) A 6.5 06 or 6.5x55 wont fit in the surplus short action. (5) a grendel will fit in a short action and then I can load over max oal. (6) So in the intrest of keeping things simple.. I built a grendel on a short action remington.

Comment

Yep, I can understand that. Are the little Zastava actions still available in the US or did Remington kill the market when they muscled in for the short time they sold the 798/799? The actions only are under $400 here in Australia and it does not take much modification to have them work reliably with the Grendel.

Might want to talk with you about the 6.5/06. I'm planning one on a spare Ruger No.1 action I have.

Comment

Just buy a Stevens 200, get an action wrench and nut wrench, sell the barrel and stock for $75, order a B/C or Choate stock and a barrel to your specs from PacNor. You'd be at about $700 before optics.

Comment

Originally posted by hawk45 View Post
                          Just buy a Stevens 200, get an action wrench and nut wrench, sell the barrel and stock for $75, order a B/C or Choate stock and a barrel to your specs from PacNor. You'd be at about $700 before optics.
                          Stevens 200 would need a new bolt head to work with the Grendel. Otherwise thet are a nice cheap action of decent quality.

For me the rifle is not an option as it is too large, no longer sold here, and the bolt heads to suit are unavailable due to US Govt export laws.

Comment

Thoughts on starting with a stainless Savage 16 FHSS in .223 here: http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/16FHSS/ and replacing bolt head with a Sharps Shooters Supply part for the PPC, then a Pre Fit Pac-Nor Barrel chambered for "6.5 Grendel Match"? Looks like barrel would run about $415 + install, and bolt head about $75. Seems like a reasonable cost for a nice little low-recoil deer rig in stainless with Accustock, etc.? Thoughts?

One question is, would a Savage 16 action built for .223 likely feed 6.5 Grendel cartridges reliably? I'm looking at the hinged floorplate model probably, because of wanting to build a hunting rig.

Thanks for the help guys! First post here. I have 1 Grendel on an AR platform that was a custom build. Will post pics soon.

Shuter

Comment

Shuter,

Welcome aboard!

I just ordered the .243 version http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/116FCSS with the same purpose in mind.

I'm hoping the magazines for the 7.62X39 Model 10 FCM Scout http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCM+SCOUT will work in our rifles and that any tweaking for reliable feeding is straightforward.

You might also find interesting insight at http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/.

Let us know what you discover!

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks, JA. I've posted the question on the Savage forum and will report back.

shuter

Comment

Working...
                                X