Warrior
    • Apr 2015

Howa Mini vs CZ 527

Pros? Cons? of each? Anybody have both?

Ideas? Comments?
  • Jakal
    Warrior
    • May 2014

Bump, watching this discussion. I am interested in the CZ. I like the wood not Tupperware.

Discontinued 2021. An American-stocked micro-Mauser in a variety of calibers and configurations.

Last edited by Jakal; 01-24-2017, 06:50 PM.
    ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Haven't bought a Howa but handled one in 223 the other day next to a CZ 527 and I own 2 527s one in 223 and one in Grendel.

Both feel good when shouldering them and handling them.

Howa has a good trigger for a factory gun but prefer the single set trigger arrangement of the CZ. Mine are about 8 ounces when set and average 3lbs dual stage trigger when not set. Preference to the CZ for trigger.

I like wood stocks for hunting so advantage to the CZ for me.

The Howa feels lighter weight by a little bit not much.

The real advantage to me for the Howa over the CZ is cheek weld, the CZ has that configuration where the action is higher above the comb so a stock pad is really needed for a good solid cheek weld.

Be honest I could be happy with either gun but the trigger and wood stock gives the edge to CZ for my 2 cents.

Comment

• Drift
        Warrior
        • Nov 2014

^^^ What he said. What the CZ has right is a target trigger right out of the box. It has metal magazines. It has multiple wood stocks. It has very a very smooth action.And I'll betcha it will shoot .5 out-of the-box What the CZ has wrong is a "backwards" safety, no real synthetic or camo stocks. It will probably take Howa a few years to catch up, but with company or aftermarket support I can see it pulling ahead in a few years.

Comment

• ricsmall
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

CZ should have figured out by now to quit putting so much drop in a stock that will be on a scoped gun. That and sloppy fit of extractor on my cousins 17 hornet are the only gripes I have so far. Haven't handled a howa yet but the 1500's have always impressed me on level of quality for the $$.

Richard
          Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• 1075 tech
            Warrior
            • Apr 2015

I have had some interest in a bolt action Grendel. I see my options as:
            1: Custom build using a donor action. Have never done anything like that before and it intrigues me. Building an AR is not much of a challenge for me. This would allow me to get exactly what I want (whatever that would be) but would likely cost more than a stock build.

2: Howa Mini. I haven't seen one yet. What I like: Option for 20" barrel. What I don't like: Plastic. Stock, mag, trigger guard. And $52 for additional PLASTIC mags? Really?

3: CZ. Again. Haven't handled one yet. Like: Wood stock. Real metal. Dislike: Only 24" barrel.

I look forward to hearing more from you all as to your opinions.

Comment

• SDguy
              Warrior
              • Oct 2015

Can only speak to the CZ 527

Wanted a CZ bad enough that I purchased a 7.62X39 rifle simply to convert. One of few rifles I purchased having never shot. Pulled the New barrel and shot it in the original stock initially knowing I would not be happy with the original.

Switched it over to an American stock off a 204 Ruger varmint that I had picked up with a !7 fireball conversion that came with 2 stocks. While I was happy with the American Varmint Stock I could not resist trying a Boyds thumbhole stock.

Now I have owned two stocks that I really like for the CZ527. Boys Thumbhole and the target Aramid stock that is on my 17 FB have been my all time favorites.

I like that the new 6,5 Grendel American comes with a near flush magazine and the 24" barrel. Many would be happy with the factory stock on the American, I would go for a Boyds stock again if I were to buy a factory Grendel.

I have been eyeing the Howa Mini and the only option that speaks to me would be to buy a barreled action from Brownells and order a Boyds stock to suit my taste for a wood stock.

I have not actually handled a Howa Mini so I can't speak to that very well. For a shorter statured individual I expect the Howa may be easier to achieve an ideal scope height. The cz is fairly stuck with higher rings than many care for due to their bolt handle configuration.

I am a CZ fan so I am partial. I expect you may be pleased with either you get your hands on.

Comment

• kmon
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2015

Cz finally changed the bolt some, made it like Calhoun of 19 calibur fame was doing. Depends on the ocular bell on the scope but medium rings work now with some scopes. DIP makes some neat rails in o degrees and 25MOA for the 527

Comment

• pajasonc
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

I have shot both. I own a mini and have shot the CZ, was a 7.62. My opinion the cz has better fit and finish. The blueing is deeper and has metal floor plate and magazine. The wood is hit or miss as far as grain. I have seen some that are absolutely gorgeous and others that are pretty plain. They are pretty much equal weight wise in similar barrel lengths. I liked the howa's trigger better than the CZ, except when using the cz's set trigger. The howa is setup much better for scope use. Howa is cheaper. If possible handle both and pick the one you like.

Comment

• nuthead
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

I own a cz 527 (in x39) and a Howa mini Grendel... I'd take the cz. Better mag, better trigger, stock is more rigid and easier to bed and mine is more accurate than the Howa. If the Howa came in a decent stock which didn't flex and a less dinky mag setup it would be neck and neck.

Comment

• pajasonc
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by nuthead View Post
                      I own a cz 527 (in x39) and a Howa mini Grendel... I'd take the cz. Better mag, better trigger, stock is more rigid and easier to bed and mine is more accurate than the Howa. If the Howa came in a decent stock which didn't flex and a less dinky mag setup it would be neck and neck.
                      I am sure if Howa wanted to charge another 150 dollars they could put a better stock and magazine setup. I think thats the Key here the Howa is at least 150 cheaper. If you want a better stock the Howa can be bought in a barreled action then put a boyd's stock on it all for 100 to 200 less than the CZ. Like I said I think the CZ is a little better,except for scope mounting. As is typical you get what you pay for.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 2011

I've never shot a CZ527, but when I've handled them — racked the bolt and shouldered them and racked the bolt again, etc. — the bolt movement always seemed . . . gritty, bindy. But some guys say they're smooth. When I think of a "smooth" action, I think of the Tikka T3, for example. SMOOTH, almost slick. So do the CZs get smoother with actual use?
                        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• rickt300
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

My needs being different, a hunting rifle not something to oogle at I bought two of the HOWA mini's, in 223 and 6.5. The triggers work nicely, mounting a scope is a breeze, don't have to worry about dinging up some shiny piece of wood or polished metal when I'm out night hunting. And the Mini action is very smooth on both of these rifles especially after I cleaned the factory grease off the bolt and out of the action though I left it on the outside of the action and barrel. With the 6.5 accuracy out of the box was right at .5 with Hornady SST factory ammo which is better than I can use shooting offhand at night. My reloads hover right at MOA and I really haven't put the time in to tighten the groups up yet but I bet it happens. The Magazine, well they feed smoothly and hold plenty of shells. I agree replacement cost is too high and would prefer one that runs flush with the factory bottom plastic. The stock is a bit too flexible and made of a material that defies the adhesion of bedding materials so far. These rifle are effective hunting tools/ truck guns. They do work that I would not expect of some shiny toy from Europe to do.

Comment

• Stevil
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2015

CZ is double what I payed for the Howa here. Ive only owned ZKK's CZ'z, nothing recent but I appreciate the finish of the 527. Pretty happy with both of my howa mini's, great slick action, feed like butter and very consistent trigger. Can mount normal sized scopes in low Talleys which is also a big plus.

Comment

• s3silver
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

I've handled the mini and like it. Still waiting to handle the cz before pulling the trigger on either. Good info on this thread though.

What are the max mag lengths on either rifle?

Comment

Working...
                              X